CrazyBoards.org

Anyone on the schizophrenia spectrum want to share?

The problem isn't with having a personality disorder in general, but rather that I simply don't have one. The only times doctors have considered labeling me as such is when they see a young woman with a history of self-harm and think: oh! must be BPD! Self-harm and SI are literally my only personality disorder symptoms, and they are much more easily explained as byproducts of psychosis: when the entity is putting SI thoughts into my head and forcing me to hurt myself. I don't mean to offend anyone who actually has a PD. 

9 hours ago, Eupwae said:

Actually, psychosis is a symptom of Borderline Personality Disorder as well. Not saying that's what you have because I'm obviously not your doctor! I'm just reiterating some studies I've read about in the past. Somewhere upwards of 50% of people with Borderline Personality Disorder experience psychosis that is similar to Schizophrenia, but the treatment is different.

Can you point us to those studies that you are reiterating? Like post actual links?

Especially the one where you say 50% of people with BPD have psychosis similar to schizophrenia? (Which by psychosis I am assuming you mean symptoms like hallucinations like hearing voices or seeing things others don’t, or delusions like getting messages on the radio or TV meant for you or thinking your neighbor is plotting to kill you, etc.)

I know I’d be interested in reading them! I’m sure others here would like to read those studies too! TIA!

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

3 minutes ago, Eupwae said:

Sure thing! I will have to go back and look for them all though. If I find any later on, I will edit my post to reflect them:

(Actually, here is a good article that is based on various studies and such. Study references are at the bottom.):

https://www.mdedge.com/psychiatry/article/134395/personality-disorders/psychosis-borderline-personality-disorder-how

I can't read the article without creating an account. I don't know how legitimate that site is. I've never heard of it and I don't want to get email spam. Hmmm

2 minutes ago, Eupwae said:

Strange, it let me read the article without an account. It does link to legitimate studies in the references section. You don't have to make an account. I can try to pull some useful quotes and links to the referenced studies.

Well I don't know what I'd going on. I could read the first page almost then it wanted me to create an account. Weird. 

I think the type of treatment matters, if you are seeing results that is what counts. Such as aura and I who have had a SZ disorder for so long and suddenly the diagnosis changes like that it is scary because the treatment is very different. Without our AP meds we would  (pardon my French) go batshit without AP meds. 

So you see, we are not dissing anyone who has a personality disorder. I'm sorry if it felt like that to you. But it's more of a scare and a fear and a shock for us because if they decide we have a PD only we'd be without AP meds and I'll say it again, go batshit (no offense aura! I say that in a gentle way).

So that is where I am coming from. No, there is nothing with anyone with a PD. It is a scare for us because the treatment would be so so so different that I'd end up in a state hospital again. Or worse. Voices command me. It's not a pretty picture.

I hope you understand better now. 

19 minutes ago, Eupwae said:

That's simply not true. BPD is usually co-morbid to some Axis I disorders. The treatment would be to than add DBT therapy on top of your medication regimen.

It doesn't seem like your AAP is working though? You said yourself that you are at a level of needing to be hospitalized.

Again, I don't really want to argue about this because I KNOW people will feel hurt, defensive, or offended. I'm simply stating some facts I've read about BPD and other personality disorders. Personality disorders are an Axis II diagnosis. You can still have an Axis I diagnosis on top of it.

You can have both. I was referring to people who have no Axis II disorders. Such as myself. My pdoc and tdoc both took that off of my chart. Because it was "ridiculous" according to my pdoc that I had any sort of PD. She said that about me I did not say that. She just firmly believes that I don't have that DX. 

So I know you are trying to say I have a PD but you aren't my treatment team. You say that my AAP isn't working and I need a higher level of care. How does that point to a PD? People with depression fit those qualifications.

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Eupwae said:

...aaaaand this is EXACTLY why I didn't want to reply in the first place. You got defensive (again).

You stated that you would go "batshit" without your AAP meds. I simply stated that you, yourself, have stated that your meds are not working properly and that you, yourself, stated that you believe you require hospitalization. You also insinuated you are seeing results with your meds. But according to you, yourself, they are not working. You keep mention that Clozapine is not working (an AAP) and you want to get off Abilify (another AAP which I assume you also feel like is not working)

Can you quote where I said YOU have a PD? I'm not a doctor. Never claimed to be.

You insinuated. That is all. I'm done. Blocking!

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

I can't stop being consumed with thinking that people are trying to poison..harm..kill..Bailey..

I am constantly finding odd stuff in the yard..

Broken glass..food..bones..plastic..

I'm scared for his life..

My mom doesn't believe me and tries to tell me otherwise..

I pick up the yard daily and find stuff..

I don't understand what is going on..

I'm not sure if it's being planted or what..

It's like it appears out of nowhere..

I want to go door to door but my mom won't let me..

1 hour ago, coraline said:

I can't stop being consumed with thinking that people are trying to poison..harm..kill..Bailey..

I am constantly finding odd stuff in the yard..

Broken glass..food..bones..plastic..

I'm scared for his life..

My mom doesn't believe me and tries to tell me otherwise..

I pick up the yard daily and find stuff..

I don't understand what is going on..

I'm not sure if it's being planted or what..

It's like it appears out of nowhere..

I want to go door to door but my mom won't let me..

Bailey is safe because you pick up the trash in the yard. You are a good mom to Bailey. Don’t forget that. 

Feeling very worried. I believe the government is after me. I must have filled out that copay discount card from the manufacturer wrong. But I don’t get why they had that info or numbers off the copay discount card already? Close monitoring I guess. They pharmacy tech made it seem like I was doing something illegal, then said she’d have to read the fine print. But it rang up free anyways! So I know she is going to report me to the government  

I’m so nervous that I took a spare klonopin.

• Confused 1

All right. I’m putting this one to bed, folks. 

Bottom Line

Psychotic symptoms in patients with borderline personality disorder (BPD) could look similar to those in primary psychotic disorders. Factors suggesting BPD include a pattern of worsening psychotic symptoms during stress, long-term symptom instability, lack of delusions, presence of dissociation, and nonresponse to antipsychotics. Although low-dosage antipsychotics could provide some relief of psychotic symptoms in a patient with BPD, they often are not consistently effective and frequently lead to adverse effects. Emphasize evidence-based psychotherapies.

https://www.mdedge.com/psychiatry/article/134395/personality-disorders/psychosis-borderline-personality-disorder-how/page/0/3

Those of you reading along at home may recognize that link as the one Cakepop/Eupwae/Mousse originally posted. I opened an account there (it’s free) and read the whole article. The website MDEdge exists as a sort of aggregator of articles from other medical journals. That article originally came from Current Psychiatry, April 2017. Current Psychiatry is published by https://www.springer.com/us/ . They are the world’s largest academic book publisher. I hereby call legitimacy on the source. If you urgently need to read it for yourself, I found a link that should work for free:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Psychosis+in+borderline+personality+disorder%3a+how+assessment+and...-a0494427144

The format’s a wee bit goofy (you’ll need to do some scrolling down), but it’s the same article. 

Having been published two years ago exactly, this is the most current thinking I found on the subject of differences in the nature and correct treatment of BPD psychosis vs. primary psychotic disorders. Yup. There are differences. So:

Yes:

Psychosis is a symptom of BPD as well as primary psychotic disorders

The psychotic symptoms are different 

The best practices treatment modalities are different

The absolutely boiled-downedest answer I have for you is this: BPD patients benefit less from APs, though there is some benefit, and more from therapy than those with Axis l psychoses. 

Now I want you guys to listen carefully. 

We do not diagnose here at CrazyBoards. We. Don’t. Full stop. We do not stigmatize anyone’s diagnosis. We’re all equals here on Planet Crazy; no one gets to judge you for which axis you’re spinning on. We do not need bickering. This is a support site. Take a step back, take a deep breath, disengage. Cut each other some slack. We need each other. We need each other’s presence much more than any one person needs to be Right. 

We’re moving on from this now. Any further quarrelsomeness will be removed. Sheepish hugs will be given kisses.

Gearhead Iguana, admin

• Thanks 3