CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
writehellarandomshiny

Calls from unknown numbers

with unknown numbers, I never answer unless I'm expecting a call from some important place (like the mechanic's shop this morning).

I rarely answer calls from people I know either, though. I delete my vmails without listening to them, and then call the person back when I feel up to it...

I think I hate listening to voice mail even more than I hate actually talking to people on the phone.

makes me sound like a real jerk, doesn't it? I just really really really hate communicating via phone. don't like texting either. all of it is really stressful for some unknown reason. my least favorite sound in the world is my cell's ringtone.

...but I swear, I am actually warm & fuzzy in person...

I hate having a phone. I don't answer our house landline at all, and I only answer my mobile if it's someone I know. Even then, I'm apt to let it go to voicemail and then send them a text later asking what's up. I'm not even totally comfortable talking to family members. I tend to listen to my voicemail, but only because I don't want to be caught off-guard if it turns out to be something I do need to pay attention to.

I only consider answering calls from people my cell phone knows. I listen to voicemails because I am looking for work.

Like others here, I don't always answer the phone even if it's someone I know. There are a couple of people who would only call if there was some kind of emergency. I'll answer if it's a doctor's office, as I often end up on cancellation lists for an appointment. Anyone else can either leave a voicemail or send a text message. I don't have a custom voicemail either - it's the default one that just says the phone number and that I'm not available. 

I don't answer just because I get annoyed at the assumption that I should.

I am a curmudgeon.

I almost never listen to voicemails immediately. Nor do I respond to text messages right away. I dislike the idea that I should be available at any and all times to anyone who wishes to contact me. I am curmudgeonly too.

Also, this:

If it's important, they'll leave a VM, and if they need a call back that at least gives me a moment to assess the situation, calm myself down, and prepare myself for it before diving in.

Me too ... by leaving a VM I can think of what I want to say ahead of time.  Sometimes when someone catches me off-guard I get flustered and don't know what to say, then when I hang up the phone I always think, "I should have said ... "

Yeah, I do exactly the same. I always do a lot better dealing with people if I'm able to think about what to say and plan things out ahead of time. If I just answer the phone then I won't know what's coming, and there will be a lot of "Uhms..." and "uhhhs" and I'll sound all confused and I'm always afraid people think I'm stupid. I've always wondered how much of that is the anxiety and how much of it is be genuinely being bad with people. 

I dislike the idea that I should be available at any and all times to anyone who wishes to contact me.

^THIS.  Definitely.

i never ever answer calls from unknown numbers. i figure if its important they'll leave a voicemail message and i can deal with it then. i get a lot of calls from scammers though. like at least once a week. somehow my number got on some list somewhere obviously.  :closedeyes:

I never answered unknown calls, but just recently started making myself answer one now and then. I usually convince myself by thinking that if it's a sales call, I can just hang up and if it is a call that would have gone to voice mail and required a response, I'd just have to call them back which would be that much worse. Small steps, I guess...

I have been getting hang-up calls almost every day lately.  Or the kind of calls where you say hello and no one says anything.

I figured out though a way to lessen them ... when they call, I just put the phone down and don't hang up.  Just let the phone sit there.  When this happens it takes forever to break the connection so you can dial another number, and I am pretty sure it frustrates the other person.  I did this one time and actually had a day without calls that next day. 

Now that i am writing this, I am thinking how I should do this more often.

I never answer them. If they have an area code I will google it to see if it is a company and I'll call them back if I know what they might want (job interview, bills etc.)

I used to let them go to voice mail, but it costs me to listen to my messages so I don't do that now. Just straight to reject.

When I was about 16/17 I had a few nasty phone calls from a guy that did horrible things to me, and he got all of his friends phones and kept calling and being verbally abusive down the phone. Since then I just don't even bother. 

Then about 3 years ago I had about 20 missed calls from an Indian sounding man who was getting really upset by the time I listened to his voice mail. He'd been calling his brother asking when he was going to get to wherever they were, because he was doing the wedding photography and his wife would be arriving. He was getting married and his brother didn't show (I'm guessing that 6 hours later and the voice mails were really really sad). I just couldn't answer the phone I was terrified and then when I did answer the phone the guy said something I didn't understand and hung up.

I've always wondered if he turned up to the wedding... :-(

As other people have already said, I tend not to answer calls I know, let alone unknown ones. I tend to let them go all the way and then to voicemail instead of rejecting them straight up (always anxious about thinking they know I rejected them) and then I'll google the number to see if I have any idea who it is. But I've gotten better at it. I'd say there's a 50% chance now that if I know you'll, I'll actually answer!  :) 

Wow, I'm not alone! For many years I couldn't answer the phone, period. Now I generally answer only recognized calls and like others here, sometimes let those go to VM bc I just don't like talking on the phone. This happens mostly in the evenings when I'm usually too tired to talk/listen - and definitely when someone calls during a hockey game.

I used to have Hockey Night in Canada's opening theme music playing in the background of my answering message apologizing for not being available, everyone loved that one. : )

I third the curmudgeonly. ;) I am not at anyone's beck and call. I only recalled a few weeks ago that my phone has a ringer off switch :D I think it's going to stay off indefinately. VM's are seldom listened to anymore. I have to delete a bunch when it gets full, but by then none of it is relevant anymore. I have call display so I eventually call back anyone that I know/was expecting. I just curse at all the long distance bs.. no I did not win a cruise..no I do not want to take a 20 min survey.. and no I do not want to buy a side of Alberta's best beef... ffs.

I don't have anxiety about unknown callers, but I always let them go to VM. A lot of ppl do and it's fine. I just prefer to screen my calls like that. Most unknown callers are trying to sell something, etc and I'm not interested.

Heck, half the time I let friends and family calls go to VM and I'll call them back later, unless it's an emergency or something like that.

I let things usually go to VM so I can hear what they have to say, then I'm able to think about what I will say, rather than taking the call and being put on the spot.

I just don't answer them. When I get a random call from Florida or Delaware or whatever, I just assume it's a telemarketer.

I have been getting hang-up calls almost every day lately.  Or the kind of calls where you say hello and no one says anything.

I figured out though a way to lessen them ... when they call, I just put the phone down and don't hang up.  Just let the phone sit there.  When this happens it takes forever to break the connection so you can dial another number, and I am pretty sure it frustrates the other person.  I did this one time and actually had a day without calls that next day. 

Won't you use all your minutes!?

I just don't answer them. When I get a random call from Florida or Delaware or whatever, I just assume it's a telemarketer.

Won't you use all your minutes!?

It is on my regular land line phone, so it doesn't matter how long I leave it off the hook.  It won't cost anything extra.  I would with my cell phone if I did that, but this happens on my land line.