CrazyBoards.org

Hi guys, this is my second time posting in this particular board. For a long time, I have had issues with major depression and anxiety with panic attacks, but it always seemed like there was something more. I have always been intense mood swings, and I often found myself asking therapists I've had in the past if I was bipolar or something, because I knew there had to be another piece of the puzzle, another explanation for my intense mood swings and erratic behavior.

Anyway, the more I had learned about BPD, the more I wondered if I needed to talked to a mental health professional to see if I met the criteria. Two days ago, I did just that. I had an appointment with a psychiatric nurse practitioner, and she asked me a series of questions. Unfortunately, I meet the criteria. On the plus side, I happen to be high functioning, so my BPD is not quite too severe. In addition, I am already somewhat familiar with mindfulness and meditation, which are are key components of DBT. However, my new therapist is not actually trained in DBT as she was licensed before DBT was developed. Still, I think she will be able to help me deal with the disorder.

Last night, I downloaded an e-book from Amazon called The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Living with BPD by Dr. Alexander L. Chapman and Dr. Kim L. Gratz.. I haven't finished reading it yet, but it is a great book so far, and now I don't feel so hopeless about living with BPD. Still, it is overwhelming. The reality is, depression and anxiety disorders along with my physical health issues are hard enough to deal with. Knowing that I also have BPD, my life even more complicated than I realized.

Timmer - glad you found us again. i'm wondering - might it be worthwhile to seek out some other help? I'm still very much learning about the condition myself, having been diagnosed in may of this year - and something that i see within myself and others who have it is an overwhelming sense of overwhelm. so, it could be helpful to have some other supports - such as someone to help you with goal setting that visits you and checks in every week.

having some physical health goals - it sounds like exercise could help with a heck of a lot that you have going on here. as weird as this sounds, i'm no weight trainer, but i'm finding Evolution: The Cutting Edge Guide to Breaking Down Mental Walls and Building the Body You've Always Wanted helpful in the sort of mindset that i'm going to need for next year just to get shit done.

having some physical health goals - it sounds like exercise could help with a heck of a lot that you have going on here. as weird as this sounds, i'm no weight trainer, but i'm finding Evolution: The Cutting Edge Guide to Breaking Down Mental Walls and Building the Body You've Always Wanted helpful in the sort of mindset that i'm going to need for next year just to get shit done.

Thanks! I have lost some weight, a little over 60 pounds. I have a lot more to lose. Because of my back problems and knee problems, I have to limit what kind of exercises I do though. Some exercises can actually cause further injury.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By cosima
      the first time you heard the symptoms of or were diagnosed with borderline personality disorder - what was your reaction? did you feel like the symptoms fit you like a glove? that it explained a lot of your life? did you see yourself clearly in the symptoms or description of bpd?

• By makeshiftgirl
      I've been diagnosed with borderline.  Now i'm confused.  Do I really just have no friends, or do I just feel like I have no friends?  Everyone is dull and everything is redundant.  Does anyone else get this feeling randomly?  I also feel that there isn't a single other person who is relatable.  There is this strange disconnection where I can't see any difference at all between myself and the objects around  me.  Will someone please just tell me if this is a symptom, at least then I know the reality of what i'm dealing with here.  I'm sure that not EVERYONE is fine, but no one seems to identify with my daily mental state.
      Answers?
    • By movetheflow
      I have a plethora of mental issues going on (depression, anxiety, borderline personality disorder), and currently I'm on Adderall and Lamictal. I don't have ADD or ADHD; I was sleeping 12-16 hours a day and the Adderall has been a lifesaver. I take 30mg Adderall XR and 150mg Lamictal a day. I've been on the Lamictal for maybe five-ish months and the Adderall for probably two months, after trying so many other medications over the course of about 7 years. I have a few major concerns that I feel could be related to my medication.

To put it bluntly, I have no desire to do anything or even wake up. I sit around for hours doing nothing, just thinking about how stressed and unhappy and utterly useless I am. I feel like I'm wasting away. I am no longer interested in anything that I used to be. Its different than my normal depression, though. It's more empty.

I also have NO creativity anymore. This started soon after starting the Adderoll. I used to be into photography, writing, knitting, etc. Now I can't think of anything to take pictures of, write, or knit (not that I can really knit more than a rectangle, anyway). I can't even think of things to doodle, what to do with my evenings, or what to do for a card for my dad for fathers day. I just feel like my creativity is completely gone.

Last but not least, I think I've gotten less intelligent. Maybe thats not quite it, but I'm having so much trouble with stuff like retaining easy information and simple math (and I'm a math nerd). I'm also having trouble recalling information, and I find it hard to come up with an intelligent response to anything. I just can't find the words. I'm going back to college in a few weeks and I am so scared that I won't be able to do it.

To sum it up, I feel like I'm wasting away and all of my good qualities are diminishing- and I think it might be my medication. Any thoughts would be SO incredibly appreciated.
    • By movetheflow
      I have a plethora of mental issues going on (depression, anxiety, borderline personality disorder), and currently I'm on Adderall and Lamictal. I don't have ADD or ADHD; I was sleeping 12-16 hours a day and the Adderall has been a lifesaver. I take 30mg Adderall XR and 150mg Lamictal a day. I've been on the Lamaictal for maybe five-ish months and the Adderall for probably two months, after trying SO many other medications over the course of about 7 years. I have a few major concerns that I feel could be related to my medication.

To put it bluntly, I have no desire to do anything or even wake up. I sit around for hours doing nothing, just thinking about how stressed and unhappy and utterly useless I am. I feel like I'm wasting away. I am no longer interested in anything that I used to be, and I'm so sad about it. I feel like the grey blob on that commercial, if you remember that.

I also have NO creativity anymore. I used to be into photography, writing, knitting, etc. Now I can't think of anything to take pictures of, write, or knit (not that I can really knit more than a rectangle, anyway). I can't even think of things to doodle, what to do with my evenings, or what to do for a card for my dad for fathers day. I just feel like my creativity is completely