CrazyBoards.org

I'm glad it worked out!

I have a 911 stash of 10mg Zyprexa in case things get out of control and my mood starts to rapidly escalate. It's the only dosage I've taken. When I take one, I'm usually asleep shortly thereafter, and (usually) within a day or two I'm in a calmer, quieter state of mind. I would take it long term as maintenance if it didn't make me want to suck down food like a black hole.

I take 15 mg of Zyprexa daily.  It is the best med I've been on in years except for the side effects.  I have Diabetes II and Zyprexa is wrecking my blood glucose levels.  It also makes me incredibly tired, for which I take two doses of Adderall.  If you can stand the side effects (including the eating that never stops), then it is a great med.  And, YMMV...you might not have any side effects.

My pdoc gave me the option to take 1/2 pill twice daily or take the whole 5 mg at once. I am going to try 1/2 pill twice daily today and see how things go.

I just took my first 1/2 and I feel incredibly calm.

I have insulin resistance and take metformin. I am meeting with gdoc to come up with some ideas to counteract any possible side effects zyprexa may bring.

When I was on 1.25mg 2x day I gained 0 pounds. So maybe I wont gain weight...who knows?

This has been the only med that has actually slowed down the ocd negative thoughts. It's a miracle to say the least. I like my med combination. I think I finally found the right one.

One last question, if I do decide to take it all at once, will the calming and positive effects last all day or does it fade?

Edited to add: I don't have much of an appetite on this med

Edited by Butterflykisses

One last question, if I do decide to take it all at once, will the calming and positive effects last all day or does it fade?

I'm not sure. Maybe once it reaches a steady state in your system it won't fade before the next dose? I don't know how long that would take though. I would suggest checking the info on the CrazyMeds site and see if there's any on Zyprexa.

I also take metformin to counteract zyprexa´s effect on blood sugars. The thing is that after years go by, metforming initial dosage is not enough to control blood sugars raised by zyprexa.

My metformin dosage was raised, because my blood sugars were too high. It turned out my body can´t handle the metformin dosage increase.

Now I have another problem. To find with my endo, what else I can do to control blood sugars, since metformin doesn´t work anymore.

I took the entire 20mg at bedtime to help with sleep and it lasted all day for me. But YMMV and you may need it twice daily. I would test the waters and see which way works best for you, since your pdoc kind of gave you that option. That's nice of your pdoc to do because then you can see which way is most helpful for you.

I miss that zyprexa calm. And I didn't mean to suggest or scare you that you will gain weight. We are all different and if zyprexa works that well for you already, then I say give it a chance. You haven't gained any weight so far and you said your appetite isn't huge, so maybe you wont gain weight on it. I hope it continues to help you feel better!

I decided 5 mg at once in the afternoon is good for me. I met with my gdoc and she's going to do labs to recheck my sugars and insulin resistance and said she may increase the metformin (currently on 1000mg ER) to help counteract the damage.

I feel so good after I take the dose. So relaxed and at ease. I weigh every morning and so far no weight gain.

I used to be on 30mg of Zyprexa.  Made me feel a lot better and calm.   For me increases in Zyprexa made me very tired and sedated during the day.  However, these side effects seemed to lessen and become tolerable as time progressed.  I took it all at night so I would sleep a lot and have a hard time in the morning but once I got myself going I was good.

Only warning like some others have said is Zyprexa can make you very hungry and cause a lot of weight gain which it did for me so be careful.

Is it weird that zyprexa doesn't make me sedated or tired. I take it at noon everyday. No notable side effects. For the past two weeks I have tracked my weight and I have not gained any.

However, I need to lose weight so this might be a challenge. I gained 10 pounds in Nov. when I was IP. All I did in there was eat and they tried me on Risperdal (didn't work but probably caused some weight gain), and I was put on Geodon. Geodon could have made me gain the 10 pounds. I was not on zyprexa IP

Edited by Butterflykisses

Zyprexa didn't really sedate me per se, but I couldn't sleep if I forgot to take it. Really helped with depression, and stopped mania and mixed episodes in their tracks. I didn't gain very much weight, and there are a bunch of studies out there about how metformin can help prevent a lot of the weight gain issues in some people. 

I took 5mg for most of the time I was on Zyprexa, sometimes 10mg if I was in a bad way. I took 2.5 for a week or so as I was titrating down off of it and switching to Latuda. My pdoc gave me discretion to take 5mg most of the time, and double the dose as needed if I felt an episode coming on. It worked really well for me for the better part of a year, but I was very overweight to begin with and I guess being on Zyprexa made my doctor nervous that my (good, normal) labs would start to go south if I stayed on it long-term.