CrazyBoards.org

Mods, please move this to the correct forum if I have placed this here in error.

Two months ago, a nurse at my pdoc's office did an oral swab and sent it off to a lab. The results came back stating the meds I was on (particularly Wellbutrin, with Zoloft as a 'use with caution') were not recommended for me. The only med that came back as appropriate for me was Viibryd. I am in the process of getting off the former and just started the full dose of Viibryd based on these results. I wasn't happy or functioning, anyway, so I am more than willing to endure this difficult transition.

Has anyone else heard of such a test, or can vouch for its validity, or even e plain how it works? Has anyone else taken it?

Thanks!

I wonder if it's something like this:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cyp450-test/MY00135/DSECTION=why-its-done

ETA: be sure to keep reading for the limitations of the test.

Here's something else from the CDC on genetic testing for depression meds.

http://www.cdc.gov/genomics/gtesting/EGAPP/recommend/CYP450.htm

Mods, please move this to the correct forum if I have placed this here in error.

Two months ago, a nurse at my pdoc's office did an oral swab and sent it off to a lab. The results came back stating the meds I was on (particularly Wellbutrin, with Zoloft as a 'use with caution') were not recommended for me. The only med that came back as appropriate for me was Viibryd. I am in the process of getting off the former and just started the full dose of Viibryd based on these results. I wasn't happy or functioning, anyway, so I am more than willing to endure this difficult transition.

Has anyone else heard of such a test, or can vouch for its validity, or even e plain how it works? Has anyone else taken it?

Thanks!

I can't vouch for its validity, but my pdoc has brought it up as a possibility on several occasions. I gather it is becoming increasingly accepted as a treatment strategy in treatment resistant depression. I'm curious if your insurance covered it (if you are in the US)?

I second Woo's notation to be aware of the limitations of the test.  It really only pertains to the CYP 450 system.  In truth, just about every psychiatric medication is metabolized by these enzymes.  Certain meds induce them and difficult interactive problems can occur, or cause a washout effect.  This approach to tailoring treatments is very much in its infancy.  Sometimes it may to better to consider a medication like Lithium, which bypasses hepatic metabolism all together.  My $0.02, anyhow.