CrazyBoards.org

Ever tried XENICAL for weight loss

Hey guys so recently my Dr perscribed me a new med XENICAL it's $140 for 84 tablets but is meant to burn up fat. I am no longer allowed Duramine as it is now been banned in AUS as it is an Amphetamine and is outside our drug regulations. Other meds in AUS are been banned alot lately...

Has anyone ever tried it before for weight loss, I'd just like to know before i go blow $140....

Right now my BMI chart shows me as been OBESE having now gained 30kg in 4 weeks and gaining fast i have a serious weight condition that has not slowed down and is becoming a major health problem now

This was my doctors only answer to the problem other than wait a year for lap banding

I have taken it. It doesn't burn fat, but keeps fat that you eat from being absorbed. The idea is that a lot of the calories that we consume are consumed in the form of fat. Hence, blocking the fat from being absorbed sort of puts you on a low-fat diet no matter whether you eat fat or not.

Let me just say that you are in for an unpleasant surprise when all that fat begins to leak out of you.

Edit: I don't think I lost much weight on it. I just felt a lot less guilty when I ate a high-fat meal. You still need to be on a diet when you take it if you expect to lose a lot of weight.

Edited by jt07

I've never heard of Xenical but, I found the Wiki article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlistat

It is Wiki though, so take it with a grain of salt. Reading some websites from google though (like the Xenical website http://www.xenical.com/xenical/ ), it seems like it's ability to help you lose weight is pretty modest. It's side effects are pretty unpleasant, but seem to go away with time. 

Is there any way your pdoc can switch you to a more weight neutral antipsychotic? 

What is the issue? Is your appetite increased? If so, can you eat smaller portions of more healthy food? Can your doctor help you work out a healthy diet plan? I know you exercise quite a bit already, so the next step would be eating a more healthy diet. 

Personally, the reason I gained so much weight on Abilify is because Abilify increases my appetite and my craving for sugar. So, without realizing, I was eating HUGE portions and A LOT of sweets. No wonder I gained 30 lbs.  :rolleyes: I'm currently trying to lose weight by eating smaller portions, eating more vegetables and cutting sweets entirely out of my diet. It's hard, but I'm hoping it'll work. I'm currently gaining like 1-2 lbs a month. If I could lose 1-2 lbs a month instead, that would be nice. I asked my doctor about metformin, but he didn't want to give it to me. :/ So, that's not an option for me. 

Anyway, I wish you luck. 

Edited by Parapluie

I remember my mom taking it years ago, so this is hearsay, but she always complained that it gave her greasy farts and made her have to shit constantly. 

Yeah, it's kind of like having greasy diarrhea all the time.

Edit: I don't mean to disparage the med. It is very good if you have a problem eating too much fat. And with a proper diet, it is very useful. Due to the above side effect, you quickly learn to restrict your fat intake, then the greasy diarrhea is much less of a problem.

Edited by jt07

I'm kind of sad to hear that your doctor was more willing to put you on this medication than to work with you or refer you to a dietician/nutritionist to take a good look at your eating habits.

I struggled with weight gain from slurroquel. I've lost about half of what I gained and kept it off so far, but it's still a work in progress.

Everything I've read and researched suggests two options for atypical antipsychotic induced weight gain: food intake and exercise log, and metformin if you are still actively taking the atypicals.

I'm kind of sad to hear that your doctor was more willing to put you on this medication than to work with you or refer you to a dietician/nutritionist to take a good look at your eating habits.

I struggled with weight gain from slurroquel. I've lost about half of what I gained and kept it off so far, but it's still a work in progress.

Everything I've read and researched suggests two options for atypical antipsychotic induced weight gain: food intake and exercise log, and metformin if you are still actively taking the atypicals.

I agree with Woo. 

Can you talk to your doctor about your diet? Try keeping a food log? Something my doctor told me to do was eat a little bit of bran cereal with milk every time I feel like snacking, for example, or drink water. You'd have to talk to your doctor about what's best for you though. 

Also, can you show your doctor articles like this? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19476423

That article talks about how metformin has been studied and shown to help with antipsychotic weight gain. There are more articles like it on PubMed. I can find more. Maybe if you show your doctor the articles, they might change their mind about the metformin. You've got nothing to lose. 

Hope you can get some help with this issue. 

Edited by Parapluie

It really disturbs me that your pdoc thinks it is a reasonable course of treatment is to allow you to gain enough weight to finally qualify for a lap band. I mean, really? "Hey, just gain 20 more lbs, and you can have this cool surgery, that often doesn't work, and that puts an immense amount of stress on your immune system!"

I can't believe that your pdoc thinks gaining over 50 lbs (I suck at metrics) in a month is an acceptable side effect, I really can't. I mean, how many AAPs have you tried? Have you ever tried an old-timey APs? It just seems like the pdoc is pretty fucking flip. I can't think of what else to say except I think your doctor's behavior is kind of bizarre. Maybe others here will disagree, and explain what I am missing here.

I used to go work out at the gym 3 hours a day and eat healthy but when i gained 30kg in 4 weeks i basically gave up on my weight eating and exercise.

i'm not going to deal with grease dhiarrea she can find another option or i'm coming off my meds that make me fat. It's not incrasing my appetite it's just all of a sudden made me gain weight rapidly 

As far as i am concerned 30kg in 4 weeks is dangerous weight gain and if not controlled will lead to diabetes heart failure and many other problems

Edited by Puddles2009

Is there any way you can get a second opinion? Or talk to your GP about this? They might know more than your pdoc. 

Try to keep eating healthy and exercising. That will go a long way in preventing diabetes and heart problems. 

I agree with Crtclms. Your doctor's behaviour is really bizarre. 

There are worse things than dealing with the side effects of Xenical ... like going off your meds and relapsing back into the hospital. I took Xenical, and it really isn't all that bad once you get used to it. Please don't go off your meds. But I agree that you should sit down and have a serious conversation with your pdoc.

Has your pdoc said anything about Metformin? There is a lot of research that basically says that if you're on an AAP and gaining weight, then you should consider adding Metformin. I know that for me, it didn't help with losing weight but it did keep me from gaining more.

For now i am using an OTC fat blaster tablet as well as a perscribed XENICAL tablets, i am getting blood tests done for sugar and insulin levels if they show up abnormal only then will i be allowed to be perscribed METFORMIN

For now i'm staying on meds 2 weight loss tablets multi vitamins and the gym and i'll see how that works out over the next week until i see my doctor again in 4 days

Be careful with those OTC "fat blaster" pills. They can fuck you up in a lot of ways and aren't really proven to work at all. I would talk to the doc about them and how they may interact with your other meds, if you haven't already.

If it doesn't work, I would be asking your doc about a change of your meds. 40kgs in a month is just so huge an amount that diet/exercise/weight loss pills are going to have a tough job ahead of them trying to stop that weight gain. 

I guess because your stability is new and you were pretty out of control before your doc doesn't want to change your stabilising meds. That's understandable but gaining weight that fast may be more of a danger with potential physical problems etc. than changing meds would be.

Also getting to see a dietician would be good, if you can. I believe most community health centres provide dietetics for free.

I've been told to eat regularly as i normally do but to try and fast a bit, so stop the snacking and keep to main meals morning/lunch/dinner

Not always possible though but basically take 1 morning OTC pill with breakfast then XENICAL for lunch and dinner wich are my biggest meals so far, then to try and fit in some exersice in morning over the afternoon as it releases energy levels at the wrong stage but that's not always possible

I'll see how it goes, i am also taking SWISSE mens ultitive to make up for lost vitamins

EDIT - btw i cut back my gym sessions to 2 hours and i'm now targetting cardio and mid section instead of trying to build my body, i still do some strength building but nowhere neAR as much as that cane cause weight gain too

Edited by Puddles2009

Adding on top guys the Dr said they did not want me on Metformin because they were afraid it would drop my sugar levels as i do not have diabetes, so she will only perscribe it for weight loss if my insulin levels or sugar levels are abnormal wich i know they are normal

I am able to get a hold of Metformin regardless of the doctor but i would like your advice here before i decide to take it

I've never heard of metformin (glucopage) causing dangerously low blood sugars.  That's not on it's warning list.  Glipizide (glucotrol) however made my blood sugar so low I wanted to lay down and die.  Hypoglycemia is one of the side effects.  Maybe your Dr got them confused.  Or, since I'm a suspiscious bitch, just wanted you to try another way so told you some bogus shit.  Had that experience too.  

Just my experiences here coupled with the Mayo clinics list of side effects.