CrazyBoards.org

this is so distressing vexing to hear how viewed and disparaged when things go wrong (mandela interpreter thing reference)

a friend shared this with me the story and this link which yes of course the ways and such of the guardian=inflated conflated rubbish and rude but that doesn't change the fact from this being a perception that i find demoralizing personally and not unpopular but common sadly: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/16/fake-mandela-memorial-interpreter-schizophrenia-signing

this is the one link there in it: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/12/mandela-memorial-interpreter-history-violent-behaviour

this part kills me:

South Africa's leading deaf association denounced Jantjie as a fake, saying he was inventing signs, and described the episode as an insult to deaf people and Mandela himself.

like both disabled but one dismissing other's

tragic

From the article: "There were, of course, security concerns: how was it possible, with all the control measures, for such a person to be in close proximity to world leaders"

God forbid that "such a person" be allowed to be in close proximity to world leaders.

ETA: 

Wow ... "Now we can see why Jantjie's gesticulations generated such an uncanny effect once it became clear that they were meaningless: what he confronted us with was the truth about sign language translations for the deaf – it doesn't really matter if there are any deaf people among the public who need the translation; the translator is there to make us, who do not understand sign language, feel good."

WTF?

Edited by melissaw72

I actually found my self silently nodding with the editorial but I can understand why it has the response that it has here. No the signer  was not a fake and the lack of solidarity between people with disabilities is disturbing.

thank you for especially that last sentence parts. i know we don't always see eye to eye try but i have always appreciated how you do try to see the perspective invective of where i'm coming from and to understand my situation. cheers, my friend x

Wow. I didn't know much about this until now (I don't read the news or watch TV at all) but I think people are having a pretty unfair reaction to him. It kind of offended me when they said he might be signing to aliens. Sorry I can't say anything more intelligent, my meds are making me kinda dumb.