CrazyBoards.org

Is there a med that stops the thoughts

Due to my fear of swinging into a mixed episode I told my pdoc NO WAY will I take AD. Klonopin and other benzos don't stop the thoughts. She put me on zyprexa and it helps my physical anxiety symptoms and calms my thoughts, but it does not stop the thoughts.

I've read a lot of positive outcomes with luvox.

Do any AD stop the thoughts?

If I have to go on an AD to be free from this imprisonment of hell. Then so be it.

They never stop. The thoughts don't stop. EVER.

I'm sorry to hear the thoughts are giving you hell right now, butterfly.

I don't have OCD but a while ago I was having a lot of intrusive thoughts (violent, sexual) and they were very disturbing. I started an AD, Prozac, and it really worked like a charm. The intrusive thoughts stopped completely.

I would recommend trying an AD, if your pdoc thinks it's okay. 

Mom flipped out on me because I told her I might try an AD. She is so against it. It pisses me off because this is my mind and I am the one suffering.

Zyprexa does help the thoughts be less and anxiety is gone...but the thoughts don't disappear and cause me distress.

My doctor is willing to do whatever I am okay with. I am sure she would put me on a low dose of whatever AD she would prescribe.

I am so torn on what to do.

MI is hell.

Luvox is the only med I've ever taken that has stopped the noise/thoughts from OCD. For the first time ever, I stopped counting steps in increments of four. I stopped making sure that I walked an even number of times on one part of the floor that has carpet and the other that doesn't, even if it made me walk extra--just so it would come out even. I can now buy things in the number that I need. Before Luvox, I had to buy an even number of things. Even if all I needed was three oranges, I had to buy four. Luvox worked for me. Prozac, Effexor, Zoloft, Celexa, etc, made me manic. Sometimes within a couple of days but never more than a week before I was flat out manic. 

I can also take amitriptyline. Amitriptyline is supposed to be a no-no for BP folks. Most people that are BP have trouble with TCAs. For me, the other TCAs don't do much of anything. 

When I decided to try Luvox it was with extreme caution. As I recall, I started with 25 mg and eventually ended up on 100 mg. I have no idea if increasing it so slowly helped or not. I saw pdoc twice a week during this time period. Hubby and the kids were on the lookout for mania as well. I didn't experience any side effects to speak of. 

Some pdocs won't let BP folks try any type of AD. I can certainly confirm that most of them are bad for me because they cause me to get manic. Luvox and amitriptyline are the two exceptions. 

If you do try it, talk it over thoroughly with your pdoc. Work out a plan for what you'll do if it starts to make you manic. Actually, having a plan like that is good in general. I like knowing what steps need to be taken if things start going poorly. 

If you do try Luvox, I hope it works as well for you as it does for the people in this house. It worked wonders on the boy. 

I'm looking for a cure to stop the thoughts as well. I'm currently on Risperidone 2mg and it doesn't seem to work that well in that area.

There is no cure. There are meds that make the thoughts/compulsions less intense, and therapy helps you to deal with the remainder.

I'm looking for a cure to stop the thoughts as well. I'm currently on Risperidone 2mg and it doesn't seem to work that well in that area.

There is no cure. There are meds that make the thoughts/compulsions less intense, and therapy helps you to deal with the remainder.

True but a shot of Adavan in your ass works just as well as either of those

True but a shot of Adavan in your ass works just as well as either of those

Ativan is not a sustainable treatment. Tolerance develops.

Ativan didn't work that way for me.

Ativan helped me calm the fuck down, but the thoughts were still there.

Ativan helped me get to a place where I could use other skills to manage the thoughts.