CrazyBoards.org

Heavily slurred speech during sleep, why am I doing it?

Hi all. I've been told by five separate people that sometimes whilst I am sleeping I will shout in my sleep or my speech becomes heavily slurred so that it is more like connected sounds rather than speech. I have been recorded doing this quite a few times and its very distressing. People who don't know me find it very alarming.

Since I am asleep, I obviously don't know I am doing it. I have suffered with intense nightmares for about five years now after I was diagnosed with psychosis.

I don't know what to do about it, my mental health is much better than it has been for years yet I still have the habit mentioned above. Am I ever likely to stop doing it or should I seek help do you think? I have never mentioned this to any of the psychiatrists I met before, mainly because I didn't think it was a big enough issue.

Any thoughts would be most grateful.

I don't think that it is unusual to talk in your sleep nor is it unusual for that speech to be slurred. Sometimes our meds can give us very vivid dreams. If it is bothering you, I recommend that you bring it up to your pdoc.

This may be a long shot, but do you take Ambien or anything similar? I did stupid stuff in my sleep that I can't remember when I was taking it (walking, eating, etc).

No, I don't. It happened more when I was taking Resperidone which I've since stopped taking for a number of reasons