CrazyBoards.org

Cigarette cravings. When will they go?

Yes, it varies from person to person.  I used nicotine patches for the first 5-6 weeks when I quit, because I knew I couldn't stop cold turkey.  I would guess that within the first month to 6 weeks, the nicotine will be out of your body completely.  Drink lots of water so you can flush out any nasty toxins in your body.  (Well, it feels like that is happening when you drink a lot.  I have no idea if it really happens.)

Hang in there---you can do it!  I smoked for 38 years, and I wish I had quit much sooner than I did.

olga

My daughter said that the uhhh zanax?   Whatever the antismoking pill is called (wellbuten) made her disgusted with smoking.  I think she said it gave her some kind of horrible ashtray taste.   Anyway I think you have to give it time.  One of my parents found it of value to "flick" twisted up pieces of paper.    The cost of smoking seems quite insane.  I'm surprised there is not some kind of "bootleging"  Forget Drugs we are bringing in cartons of cigs! 

I quit about 8 years ago. It was tough, but I can promise that in the end is so worth it. For me I was on the patches for the first couple of days but I felt like they were just prolonging the agony and stopped them on day 3. It probably took about 6 weeks for me to not think about having a cigarette every second of the day. I got quite depressed after I quit and spent most of my time just sitting on the internet and on a quit smoking forum. Around week 7 the depression started to lift and I started being able to have a coffee in the morning without that huge need for a cigarette. Sure I still felt like one sometimes but it wasn't an uncontrollable urge like it was in the beginning.

I did cave about 3 months in when I discovered my husband had taken it back up (we quit together) and had been hiding it from me. I stupidly decided to pay him back by having one (like he cared). One puff and my throat was on fire, I coughed like a maniac and wondered what on earth I was thinking. It tasted absolutely foul and the next 3 days were spent with a sore throat and irritated cough.

After a year I was doing well. Certain things still made me think about a cigarette (like watching people smoking on tv or in a movie) and smoking still smelled good but I didn't think about it too much. Mostly only if I could see it or smell it. That continued for the next few years, with me really only thinking about it when it was right there, but it became more of a passing thought. "Oh I wouldn't mind a ciggie" or "I remember how good I thought that felt".

It probably took 5 years before I went "I will NEVER do that again" and that smoking started smelling bad. Now I'm an annoying reformed smoker. I hate the smell of stale ciggies on someone, I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and I do not miss it at all. I'm so glad to be free of being a slave to needing a cigarette.

Something fun you can do to motivate you is to download a quit meter (there's a few, just google it). I don't have mine anymore but an internet friend of mine quit just after me and has not smoked 60 000 cigarettes and we smoked about the same amount. That number seems an insane amount of cigarettes to smoke.

Don't let the whole 5 years thing scare you. Yes, it took that long before I was totally over the hill and knew for sure but the road to that point was easy for the most part.

Just take 1 day at a time. Each day tell yourself you won't smoke for that hour, that day, that week, whatever you need to get through and one day you'll notice that you did something you used to without thinking about it :)

Good luck! You can do this :)

As has been stated, it's very individual.

Have you tried to do things to help when the cravings hit? Try something like chewing gum, flossing or brushing your teeth, chewing on a straw (plastic straws, like the ones for drinks - had a friend who used that to quit cold turkey). 

Good luck. :)

• 4 weeks later...

How are you going? Well I hope :)

It has been 5 weeks not 1 cigarette.. I STILL am craving tobacco!!! What the hell?? Im drinking water by the gallon...

I just will not buy another packet till the cravings go.

Man this is addictive.

Edited by giggly_nut

How are you going? Well I hope :)

It has been 5 weeks not 1 cigarette.. I STILL am craving tobacco!!! What the hell?? Im drinking water by the gallon...

I just will not buy another packet till the cravings go.

Man this is addictive.

It is! I craved for quite some time as I said. WOO for you though!!! 5 weeks is awesome!!!! I promise they will pass! Give yourself some kind of non smoking related reward soon :) You deserve one!