CrazyBoards.org

How many of you have tried Abilify?

I'm curious what the success rate is as well as how it works. Is it just another anti depressant, or is it intended to be taken with an antidepressant? What are the most common side effects? I don't feel like my celexa is working too well for me. When I go back to my Dr I want to talk to him about adding either Wellbutrin or Abilify to the mix.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Abilify.  It works wonders for me ... calms my head down and I have fewer hallucinations (if any) on it.  No negative side effects, and weight neutral for me.  I take it with an antidepressant. 

I am on Wellbutrin also, and find it gives me a lot of energy, kind of "wakes me up."  This med has been very helpful also for me.

I had been taking for 4 years Abilify and even graduated from University thanks to this med. 

Note: It isn't an AD, it is an Antipsychotic that's often used for Bipolar or Schizoaffective or even Schizophrenia. Sometimes they also use it for depression in low dose and sometimes combine with an AD so it's extra for mood elevating.

Usage: 5 MG Abilify + AD for depression || for psychotic disorders or bipolar 10 MG Abilify or higher || MAX: 30 MG

Pros for me:

• Good for low mood, it lifts it up.  :D
  • Better concentration
  • I was able to study again.
  • No depression.  :lol:

Cons for me:

• Akathisia (You feel like you can't sit still and have to move..) <<== Very common side effect

I took it for a short time, but not long enough for it to be beneficial because it caused terrible akathisia for me. Which sucked, because both my psych nurse and I had high hopes for it. But oh well. It works great for a lot of people, though.

I absolutely love Abilify. Nothing has helped my depression like Abilify. It's like Abilify flipped a switch in my mind, and the difference is like night and day. I cannot say enough good about it. It's the only psych med that has ever worked for me as advertised.

However, it tends to be a med that people either love or hate. It gives some people akathisia. It gave me a lot of anxiety at first, but that went away once my dose got over 10 mg and it kicked in. And it kicked in beautifully. At first, I got an increase in appetite, but that seems to have gone away. Now I have no side effects from it. If you do try it, I would advise you to persevere through the anxiety and not give up on it unless you've tried at least 10 mg. But that's just my opinion, and I'm no doctor.

Generally, it should be taken together with an antidepressant if you are taking it for depression.

I had been taking for 4 years Abilify and even graduated from University thanks to this med. 

Note: It isn't an AD, it is an Antipsychotic that's often used for Bipolar or Schizoaffective or even Schizophrenia. Sometimes they also use it for depression in low dose and sometimes combine with an AD so it's extra for mood elevating.

Usage: 5 MG Abilify + AD for depression || for psychotic disorders or bipolar 10 MG Abilify or higher || MAX: 30 MG

Pros for me:

• Good for low mood, it lifts it up.  :D
  • Better concentration
  • I was able to study again.
  • No depression.  :lol:

Cons for me:

• Akathisia (You feel like you can't sit still and have to move..) <<== Very common side effect

It's actually approved up to 15 mg for depression. I take 30 mg because I also take carbamazepine which reduces the level of it in the blood.

EDIT: It is the only med that I have ever taken that helps me with anhedonia and lack of motivation. It also gives me energy. My pdoc says that it is particularly good for people with lethargic depression.

Edited by jt07

• 2 weeks later...

I take 5mg Ability once a day plus 200mg of Zoloft for depression. I was truly amazed how well the Abilify worked for me. I didn't have very many noticeable side effects (then again it's been 2+ years since I started taking it and I honestly don't recall specifically if I had any side effects, at least no major ones definitely). It is pricy but they have a patient assistance program available if you make less than a certain amount of money with or without insurance which I have had to take advantage of. I still have bad days where I get foggy and listless, but they are not as frequent as they were before I started taking the Abilify. Hope you find something that works for you! Don't give up, medication and therapy is trial and error and I was on a lot of different types of antidepressants before finding a combination that worked.

Abilify did not help my depression and made my mania a lot worse. I was on various doses from 10-30mg.  I was very agitated and developed akathisia and anxiety+++

Of course that has only been my experience and as you have seen above many people respond very well with little or no side effects. No harm in giving it a go!

My son takes it for possible bipolar (like his mom) vs. autism spectrum (docs are debating which one it is).  For children, Abilify is indicated for both disorders to treat meltdowns, so in terms of treatment of symptoms, it's doesn't really matter which one it is.  Abilify helps shorten his meltdowns.  He also has ADHD, and is on Vyvanse, and Celexa as well.  He is on an extremely low dose of Abilfy.  I will be talking to his doc about the possibility of increasing it to reduce the meltdowns even further.  I cannot speak on the akathisia, because he can't sit still anyway because of the ADHD.  

The only thing I hate about Abilify is the cost, since it is not generic.

I tried Abilify to augment 300mg of Effexor XR. I spent two weeks at 5mg and another week and a half at 10mg. It made me so sleepy regardless of when I took it. Even though I was taking Vyvanse (a stimulant) at the same time, I was falling asleep during the day. I don't remember finding it beneficial at all.

I've tried Abilify a couple of times.  The first time it pulled me out of depression pretty quickly, but then the effect wore off.  The second time it made me extremely anxious when I went from 5 mg to 10 mg, so it was discontinued.  It seems to help a lot of people, though, and I hope it is also helpful for you.

Abilify made me feel like I had just smoked crack. Literally. I like Wellbutrin though. You might want to go with the latter.

Abilify made me fidgity and nervous. Wellbutrin basically just calms me down, and I don't really get the positive energy effects that Wellbutrin is said to have.

My sweet spot is 15mg - anything over and I become a groggy mess. But I have used it up to 30mg to prevent mania.

In general doesn't work as well as Olanzapine to prevent mania or to treat acute mania. It is used to elevate mood but for strong treatment-resistant depression may not be enough. It has been enough for me so far touch wood. 15mg is recommended dose for bipolar maintenance (anything below and you may not be feeling the affects). You can go up to 30mg. It is activating for some and sedative for some but generally weight-neutral (another bonus).

Over the last two years it has helped me get a job, find a boyfriend, study and regain my life. Without it who knows where I would have ended up - I would probably still be in the throws of my recovery phase.

• 2 weeks later...