CrazyBoards.org

Advice on AntiDepressant

Hi,

I'm on 300mg XR Effexor right now, and while it really has been a godsend for anxiety and depression, I'm starting to get more and more annoyed by some of the side effects.

When I first started taking it about 3 years ago, I didnt mind the side effects, as long as I started feeling emotionally more stable, but now I'm questioning how much longer I want to be on it.

Basically I've narrowed down the side effects that I'm absolutely sure are being caused by Effexor.  I have general fatigue all day long. 

Dizziness.  About the same time daily I'm having migraines.  My blood pressure has always been a few points higher since I began Effexor (not too big a concern, but still....)

So that's where I'm standing.  My PDoc is pretty cool with helping me, but he's always about staying with the drug.   He talked about a dosage decrease to 225mg, yet I refused thinking about the world without Effexor and the fact that I'm simply scared to go back there.

So what do you suggest?  And no, I really don't want to take any more medications.  Have you ever ran into so many side effects that you want to jump ship?  What did you do?

Edited by Derek

I did really well on citalopram for 9 months. In the end I started feeling kind of emotionless. I didn't ever feel depressed but I never felt happy either. It just made everything dull. It also had the usual sexual side effect and I was tired of it. I did go off it and did well for 3 years on nothing. I actually enjoyed not being on medication and I didn't even need my xanax script anymore.

However I had a set back a couple of months ago and had to get back on the med go round. I attempted to go back on the citalopram but I couldn't get back on it. The side effects were horrendous which was odd because I had nothing like that when I first went on it 4 years ago. I'm now on a super low dose of something else that fingers crossed is going to work but I had to try 3 other meds (the citalopram included) to get here.

I can't tell you what to do. Part of me wished that I had never given up the citalopram when I couldn't get back on it and while things have been a bit rough getting on this new one I'm not having the same problems I did with the citalopram at all.

Edited by Jessamine

I did really well on citalopram for 9 months. In the end I started feeling kind of emotionless. I didn't ever feel depressed but I never felt happy either. It just made everything dull. It also had the usual sexual side effect and I was tired of it. I did go off it and did well for 3 years on nothing. I actually enjoyed not being on medication and I didn't even need my xanax script anymore.

However I had a set back a couple of months ago and had to get back on the med go round. I attempted to go back on the citalopram but I couldn't get back on it. The side effects were horrendous which was odd because I had nothing like that when I first went on it 4 years ago. I'm now on a super low dose of something else that fingers crossed is going to work but I had to try 3 other meds (the citalopram included) to get here.

I can't tell you what to do. Part of me wished that I had never given up the citalopram when I couldn't get back on it and while things have been a bit rough getting on this new one I'm not having the same problems I did with the citalopram at all.

Your experience on citalopram mirrors my own, but I stayed on it because it is the only antidepressant that even remotely helps me.