CrazyBoards.org

so, whenever i'm in the hospital i end up on water restriction due to my intake being way too high. i don't exactly ...i'm not the most "reasonable" person at those times so i don't see ...i do see it as a malevolent move, etc. but more recently i've been wondering about my water intake because i do drink a LOT.

i saw this article: http://lnfp.dr18.cnrs.fr/publication_labo/Fatal_self.pdf

and it mentions more than three litres daily. i'm going to ask my psychiatrist, but has anyone else been on water restriction for this ever? how much water is too much? hmmm...

how much water is too much? hmmm...

I'm no expert but I've read/heard in places to drink 8 cups a day (on a show, on their board that I posted on; I can't find the post though ... will try to find it again), but then I countered it by saying something like, 'so a 5 foot grandmother and a 6 foot male would drink the same amount of water each day?  What about people who live in hotter climates, or do more exercising than a sedentary person?  And what if you drank it all at once, as opposed to over the course of the day (which IMO isn't a good idea, btw, because it might overload your kidneys).  What if you have kidney disease?' etc

Idk how much is too much/day to drink, but I think all those factors I mentioned (and maybe even more) above need to be taken into consideration when figuring out how much to take in.

ETA:  I don't know though about the link to SZ and polydipsia. 

Edited by melissaw72

yes, melissa, exactly!

so i was told yesterday that take my weight in pounds, divide in half, and that's a good gauge of ounces in water for me

i don't have the salt thing; that's interesting evil

dry mouth is different by the way, whoever said that

that's better dealt with through biotene stuff gum especially from what i gather

so i was told yesterday that take my weight in pounds, divide in half, and that's a good gauge of ounces in water for me

IMO, this would be too much for me ... If I took my weight and divided it in half, I would be drinking MORE than the 8 cups a day.  And there is no way I can get over 64 ounces in a day.  I think you also have to take into consideration your muscle vs fat ratio in your body.  I would think that more muscle would need more water.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/550931-does-muscle-tissue-have-less-water-than-fat-tissue/

I don't agree with the above article's suggestion for water requirements for women and men, but in the beginning it explains how muscle needs more water than fat.

mell have you had any blood tests recently?  Just to rule out diabetes.

Thanks Titania.  I knew babies sometimes get water intoxication but i wasn't sure if it was an issue with adults.

I've never been on water restriction, I don't think I drink enough.  

yes i have and i don't have diabetes insipidus of that's what you're thinking

ah, ok for me it's less than eight cups to go by the weight thing

i don't know that it was intended as a guide more generally he just told me that would work for me to gauge

sorry if i wasn't clear on that