CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar subtype 2, followed by many fancy words that I forget. uh, wut?

It was explained to me that I start out in the morning feeling alright (generally), and as the day goes on I get more and more sad.  Anyone else have experience with this type of thing?  It's not just the Bipolar Subtype 2, it was "bipolar subtype 2 blah fancy words blah." If thats helps at all, which it probably won't.

Well, knowing the fancy words may help but they certainly don't change the way that you feel. Pretty much, depression is depression. You might treat it a little differently if you have BP as part of the diagnosis but other times, it'll be treated just the same. 

I know that when I'm depressed it's worse after the sun goes down. I made a deal with myself years ago that if something I think is a grand idea at night, I don't act on it until the sun is back up. This has saved me from making some really stupid moves over the years.

I notice that you're on Lamictal and Prozac. Are there any plans to make modifications to your current meds? Lamictal works great for some folks but quite often they need to be on a higher dose. You might want to ask about changing to a different AD if the one you're on isn't helping you as much as it should. The main thing with any flavor of BP is to get as close to symptom free as possible. Sometimes it takes a while to find the exact combination of meds to control the symptoms. Keep at it though because once you find the right meds for you, the change is amazing. You'll be glad that you stuck with it and tried different things (med and non-med). 

Well, knowing the fancy words may help but they certainly don't change the way that you feel. Pretty much, depression is depression. You might treat it a little differently if you have BP as part of the diagnosis but other times, it'll be treated just the same. 

I know that when I'm depressed it's worse after the sun goes down. I made a deal with myself years ago that if something I think is a grand idea at night, I don't act on it until the sun is back up. This has saved me from making some really stupid moves over the years.

I notice that you're on Lamictal and Prozac. Are there any plans to make modifications to your current meds? Lamictal works great for some folks but quite often they need to be on a higher dose. You might want to ask about changing to a different AD if the one you're on isn't helping you as much as it should. The main thing with any flavor of BP is to get as close to symptom free as possible. Sometimes it takes a while to find the exact combination of meds to control the symptoms. Keep at it though because once you find the right meds for you, the change is amazing. You'll be glad that you stuck with it and tried different things (med and non-med). 

The doctor at the facility I'm at is going to start weaning me off the Prozac and is in the process of fine-tuning the Lamictal.  I like your idea of not acting on "grand ideas" at night until the morning, I think I'm going to steal that as long as it's cool with you :D

And when I see the doc next week I'll ask him to repeat the fancy words so I can write them down. 

It's good if they're beginning to get a clearer picture of what is going on and can adjust the medication accordingly. Your current dose of Lamictal is at the low end and you may see some improvement once they put it up.

I was wondering did he say "rapid cycling"? If your mood states change fast, rather than lasting weeks or months it could be called that.

Edited by Jay Lith

It's good if they're beginning to get a clearer picture of what is going on and can adjust the medication accordingly. Your current dose of Lamictal is at the low end and you may see some improvement once they put it up.

I was wondering did he say "rapid cycling"? If your mood states change fast, rather than lasting weeks or months it could be called that.

It certainly sounds familiar