CrazyBoards.org

Excuses for missing work for ect

I've decided to have ect, but found out I cannot perform any work as an inpatient. I don't want my work knowing why I'm taking an extended leave of absence for obvious reasons. Anybody got any good excuses for why I'm missing work but can't perform my work from home? I'm terrified of losing my great job.

What are your company's requirements?  Many companies outsource their benefits like short-term disability leaves.  I had to take some time away from work due to my MI on more than one occasion, and my companies at the time outsourced the administration of their STD/FMLA leaves so I was able to turn in my medical documentation to the other company without my employer being aware of specifically why I was not at work, only that my leaves had been approved for medical reasons.  Many employers do not want to know specifically why employees are out so that they cannot later be accused of discrimination due to an illness or disability that you have not chosen to self-disclose.

Thanks guys. I wrote my post in haste as I decided today to go the hospital route. I haven't yet heard back from HR. I've only been working there for 3 months, so I hope that doesn't prevent me from using it. As someone wisely mentioned, my top priority should be getting better; there are other jobs out there (even though it took me ten years to find one like this).

One has to work 1250 hours in 12 months before one is eligible for FMLA (and the employer must have 50 or more employees to be covered).  Your company may be willing to work with you and still offer you a leave, however--I sincerely hope they do so.  I wish you the very best.

Edited by shesellsseashells

I could use a big hug. 6,000 employees in the company. But I do have some options. I could do tms since it's outpatient (even though it has a much lower success rate and costs a shitload). Or try to combine my 15 days of vacation with 5 days of sick leave and hope that both is considered ok and doesn't raise any suspicion (which leads me to my original point of needing a great excuse haha). Not that the severity of my depression is anything to joke about. Talking to a friend in HR tomorrow. If anyone has anything else helpful to add please do. Or if anyone can rate my options that would be helpful too.

Hi again, I'm in HR, so I'll jump in and give you my opinion.  Your company may have a short-term disability leave that they will let you use, but it depends upon that plan's parameters.  I would also think that they will let you use your vacation and sick days.  They may also let you combine this with unpaid leave.  If you are uncomfortable with providing documentation from your pdoc to your company's HR, you might explore Savannah's suggestion and see if your GP can coordinate with your pdoc so the documentation comes from your GP.  It is in your company's best interest to work with you on this, as it is expensive to onboard and hire an employee, and they would likely rather give you the time you need and let you come back to work when you are well than have to fill your position.  That has been my corporate experience, anyway.  Of course, you will have to find out from your HR specifically what your options are, but in my experience, it is not out of the question to approve a new employee's vacation plus sick time in addition to an unpaid leave for a medical absence.  You will probably have to provide the pesky documentation, but as other folks have said, you will likely not have to disclose the specific nature of your illness.  I hope this is somewhat helpful.

thanks so much guys. very helpful, but my situation is a little complicated. here's my situation: I do not have a GP. with that said, it seems that I need to find a GP ASAP, correct? but will a new GP even be willing to do such a thing? seems like a lot to ask. I have an old GP, but he now works at an emergency walk in clinic, so could he even be considered a GP? lastly, and here's where I'm a little confused, isn't the information going to be the same on the documentation? is the point that a note from a GP will just make me look less crazy?

sorry for all the questions. you guys are awesome and extremely resourceful. i hope one day i can be of assistance on here as well.

It may be best to find out what information your company will require and then figure out who the best source of the doctor's note is for your comfort level.  Your pdoc/hospital probably has some ideas or a practice they follow if patients prefer to have a discreet doctor's note rather than stating the doctor's specialty if you do not wish that information to be known.  (If the hospital is also a medical hospital, perhaps the pdoc can use hospital stationary, etc.  Lots of possibilities.)  All the doctor needs to say is, "So-and-so is having an inpatient medical procedure and will be unable to work from January 1 until January 27."  That is all you need to tell anyone, also.  And if your company handles these matters themselves rather than outsourcing them, any medical information about you must be stored in a separate location from your regular personnel file and kept strictly confidential, regardless of the medical reason.

I worked for a large investment bank a few years back when one of my breast implants started leaking.  I'd been there for about a year and needed to take a week off of work to have it replaced.  My company allowed me to take a paid sick leave without asking the cause of the surgery.  My surgeon provided a letter that stated, "Sara had surgery on X day and will be unable to return to work until Y day."  His letterhead did not state his specialty and no one investigated any further.  Your company will likely not wish to delve into your personal life, either.  Perhaps TMI about me, but I thought that example might ease your mind a bit.

I am glad we can be of help to you.  This site has brought me a lot of comfort and I'm glad that relating my experiences may bring you a little bit of comfort, too.