CrazyBoards.org

Compulsive Blinking Tic in Teenaged Boy

Hello All! 

I am a 19 year old Bipolar II with two younger brothers. One is 18, with likely, if undiagnosed, Autistic Spectrum Disorder/Aspergers Syndrome. 

My youngest brother is 13, and for many years, on and off, he has developed a compulsive blink. He squeezes his eyes shut hard, and more often than necessary. Most of the time, he doesn't notice he's doing it, but as he's aged, he's mentioned how annoying/uncomfortable it is. 

At first my mother used to tell him off, but I read a bit about Transient Tics, I realised it wasn't his fault, and convinced her just not to mention it. However it still appears sporadically.

It always goes away after a little while, but recently I've noticed a pattern; he seems to do it more when I (who have now been away at University for over a year), come home, and he feels some - I assume stress - at conversing with me, when he hasn't in a while. Now my father, who is a very infrequent presence in our lives, is visiting, and he's started ticing (ticking?) again. 

My mother seems to think it gets worse when he is tired, I haven't noticed this, but thought I should mention it.

I'm not too worried about it, but I would like to know if anyone has any information; about how to help him stop (since it bothers him), or what to expect if it gets worse? Can it be a precursor to anything? And is it indicative of anything? Is he more stressed than we think?

A little bit on him as a person; he's very funny, and constantly cracking jokes, etc… He exudes confidence, but is actually very nervous in front of new people. He doesn't have many friends - he's been to school for a number of years, but he's been home-schooled for the last two years. 

Essentially, I am worried there is something going on in his little head, that he is not expressing, and this is presenting itself as a tic. 

Thank you for all of your help;

Lily. 

HI Lillian.

I'm sorry that we cannot answer your question.

CrazyBoards is a first-person peer support site. It's very complex very fast when people start talking about other peoples' mental health. We want to promote a "nothing about me without me" kind of process here.

NAMI has a lot of good family resources that might be of better help.

Kind regards, 

Woo

(admin)