CrazyBoards.org

Ok first of all....

that trick question to register went right over my head....Dont really know what I want.  Guess I'm just looking for a place to vent somewhat.  Been diagosed with all sorts of things (lets count, almost one disorder for each psychiatrist lol). Can't afford pyschiatrists right now so I'm just trying to survive with just sleeping medication.  Keep thinking, if only I could get a good night's sleep...maybe I'll be ok.  Sooo that's not working all that great and I'm still exhausted.  Used to be on a bunch of pills (still wasn't sleeping btw), anyone out there have any thoughts on what to do when you can't afford your therapy?  So that's me, in short.  Feel crazy all the time, but trying to hold it all together.  Don't want to go back, now or at any time, to the hospital. :wall:

Hi Zoes, I wish I could do that.  Unfortunately I have insurance so they won't take me unless I pay them (I've been and they charged me almost $200 for an intake).  So my problem seems to be that since I have insurance I can't go to the 'free clinics" and since my insurance costs me $50 a visit, I can afford neither :(

PS:  I currently take 'benzos' for sleep lol.  Used to take trazodone and that worked for years and then stopped.  Had bad experiences with ambien, so went to restoril.  OMG I just love a good night's sleep, I wasn't kidding about that.  When my dad died I didn't sleep for 3 days straight and started to hallucinate, so that's when i started taking the sleeping meds, otherwise I just dealt with it

Alexis, you might be able to qualify for medicaid-enhanced services depending on if your state opted in or out of the medicaid expansion with the Affordable Care Act.

Also, I hope you ask about sliding scales if you can't afford your copays.

That's a shitty bind to be in.

I had that problem on medicare with SSDI as well.

The coverage is the same for physical and mental illnesses. The trouble is finding someone who will take medicare. I ended up going to hospital-affiliated clinics because they can't turn down medicare and make you pay up front like private practices can, and also they will work with you on sliding scale depending on what your finances are. I didn't have any copays except copays for meds for the first 6 months I was getting care.

ETA: What I was talking about is something called "medicaid expansion" that offers medicaid to people at a higher percentage of poverty level than before, so you might now qualify for both medicaid and medicare, or a subsidy to help pay for your insurance. Because with medicare you still have premiums to pay monthly.

To add - look into applying for "extra help" ffrom the ssa for your meds.. thatt has been a godsend to me..

I have been unbelievably blessed wiith a tdoc who sees me for free. My pdoc takes mediicare and eachh visit is $40. So, i just counter that wiith my free tdoc. I live in a big city so there are more options. Btdt in the rural arrea with a ppdoc who didnt take ant insurance and no tdocs for miles.

I hope sometthing positive happens for you.

Db

Welcome to CB.

Have you ever tried melatonin for sleep? It's rather inexpensive and works better than a lot of the sleep meds that I've tried. The one we have at my house is the 5 mg extended release variety. I thought it was a ridiculous idea but around my house, it works well.