CrazyBoards.org

Any help for my last side effect?

Hey guys so now i'm on a huge cocktail of drugs i seem to be getting more sane and my side effects are slowly fading.

However there is one very bad one that remains that is making life unbearable

Muscle and joint pain. I am currently on 4mg Artane, 2mg morning and 2mg night and that has stopped the side effects of Tardive dystonia or whatever it's calledand it's also stopped my stiff rigid muscles and legs.

What is there can take for muscle pain?

Aspirin and paracetamol can help you with your problem. You really don't need the codeine. In fact, codeine could even affect your mental state adversely. If you need something stronger, talk to your doctor about it.

Edited by jt07

Asprin is OTC but anything else high in Codeine is not because people make drugs out of it here

I wasn't talking about codeine. Codeine is prescription only here, too. But an OTC NSAID like aspirin or ibuprofen could help the pain without requiring opiates. If you haven't tried it, I would suggest trying that first before going back and asking for a painkiller script from your doc.

Asprin is OTC but anything else high in Codeine is not because people make drugs out of it here

I wasn't talking about codeine. Codeine is prescription only here, too. But an OTC NSAID like aspirin or ibuprofen could help the pain without requiring opiates. If you haven't tried it, I would suggest trying that first before going back and asking for a painkiller script from your doc.

Yeh opiates are far better pain killer

Well, yeah. They can also be highly addictive. 

Depends on the kind of pain and your reaction to the opiate. I had a "stiff" neck from hell, and hydrocodone did absolutely NOTHING to help it.

Opiates aren't something you should take on a regular basis if you are having daily muscle/joint pain. You don't want to mess with your med cocktail if you are doing better. NSAIDS are usually pretty good at handling it. I have taken opiates for back pain and usually they make my breathing slow and numb all over. Not good for daily use.

Edited by wj74

A lot of people find adequate relief from ibuprofen or naproxen, both of which are over the counter and non-opiate solutions.

It's better to try smaller interventions first.

But these are also not without risk.

Acetaminophen is hard in the liver. Ibuprofen and naproxen can be hard on the kidneys.

With all the other meds that you're taking, you might do well to ask a pharmacist what they recommend until you go back to your doc.

Codeine won't do much good. You'll get tolerant to it, and it's generally used temporarily anyways.

Something like Naproxen (sold as Aleve, can be scripted in higher doses, I take it for endometriosis and rotator cuff tear, trust me, those HURT, 500mg, its OTC under 300mg) or Ibuprofen would be MUCH better for muscle aches and pain. It's not habit forming and a hell of a lot better. I'd take it over a narcotic any day.

Codeine would nix out a lot of med effects, plus addiction, plus drowsiness, its an opiate!

If the artane isn't doing it, there are others to try in that category, or beta blockers - but you have to watch out if you have low blood pressure (beta blockers lower it). I take 5mg artane with haldol. Ask your pdoc about other options. 

Are you going to the gym a lot? If so, that could contribute to muscle pain. I find if I overdo it horseback riding, a hot bath will help. Trust me, I have a lot of muscle pain and aches, among other things, I've been injured numerous times, severely a few times. Opiates are not the only answer, and are not necessarily the best answer. I've only taken opiates (tylenol with codeine for broken ribs, and low dose percocet for a broken upper arm and shattered shoulder) twice. And I've broken half the bones in my body.