Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

Seasons Greetings.  Well this is about my mom.  I've been giving her 900mg of lithium for years.  But she was recently hospitalized because her lithium blood level was 3.4.  How can all the sudden her dose become toxic for her?  She experienced strange symptoms like not being able to open close her hands well.  I found her lying in the bathroom unable to get up and that is when I called paramedics.  She was sleep for two days after a dialysis.  Then she got up started talking my family thought she had gotten well.  Then come next day we get a call saying that she is in the ICU with respiratory failure.  She is sedated now sleeping.  They said her diabetes was out of control this time.  Well thanks for reading and warm regards to other people who have dealt been through this.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ETA: The reason people on lithium have to do regular blood tests is that the levels can change. The kidneys can become less efficient at clearing lithium from the body, sometimes because lithium has damaged the kidneys.

Other medications a person takes can cause an increase in lithium, as well as dehydration.

Edited by mcjimjam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Since I have an older mom, I read this as "I've been giving my mother the meds she's prescribed to take because [unspecified reason]." not that the poster is actually giving meds not prescribed.  

 

But since this is a first person site, I'm not sure about the post anyway...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...