CrazyBoards.org

I have ptsd, and my husband works a lot, so I'm home alone a lot. I got a 'supposedly' adult dog that was 'supposedly trained with the basics. (housebroken, sit, stay, etc. I thought this would be a good idea for me to have something to keep me in the now, but this dog is triggering me so bad! It is NOT trained, is still considered a pup by the vet, and is a pain in the ass! Sometimes, I adore her. Other times, I want to beat her to death. My husband thinks I bought her as his play toy and ruined her personality. She was soft, sweet, and gentle. Now she tears around the house 90 miles an hour eating anything she can put in her mouth, and running from me when I tell her to do something she DOES know to do. Help! Is this going to be worth it, or should I just give it up? Thanks, imptsd65

If you really feel you might hurt this dog, bring her to a reputable no-kill shelter before the situation escalates.  That being said, dogs continue to be puppies or young adults well into 2 or 3 years old.  This is normal puppy behavior that needs to be controlled via loving but firm training.  Since you say the dog is triggering you it would be best to book sessions with a professional trainer, who can train the dog and also tell you how to continue the training at home.  Dogs are a big commitment, and they don't deserve to be given up frivolously, so think carefully about what you decide to do.

If you don't feel like you can properly train and care for this dog, I too suggest taking it back to where you got it or to a no-kill shelter.  The longer you wait, the less of a puppy the dog is and the less it appeals to people looking for puppies.

This dog did not ask you to take it home.  I'm sorry its triggering you, but the dog is an innocent being.  The dog WANTS to be there to comfort you.  But it will need help learning how.  Teaching it some simple commands (sit, come) would be a good start and begin the process of training the dog to be the kind of dog you want.

Either train and love this dog and do what you said you would do when you brought her home or take her somewhere that. She can be cared for. This is a bunch of bull shit saying it is a PTSD issue in my opinion you are just being a lazy ass and you want all the joys of pet owner without one drop

Take the dog back .... Or get off your ass hiding behind some kind off bull shit MI.... I have 5 dogs and I am PTSD ..... so don't give me the whole triggering crap

Seriously the dog would be better off with someone else

I would bet 100 dollars you have already hit that dog

TAKE IT BACK

Maybe you were looking for a dog that could act as your service dog?

Those dogs go through 2 or 3 years of training. They are adults by the time they go to their jobs. They are not puppies.

I think that you need to give this dog back as soon as possible. No animal should be beaten because it is overwhelming a grown up. And all dogs deserve good training. If you cannot do that let it go. There will be other dogs who can help you with your symptoms.

Dogs can be amazing support for people with PTSD.

However, raising and training a dog is VERY HARD WORK.

If you are serious about feeling like you might physically hit this dog because the dog isn't doing what you want AND you are unwilling to spend some serious time and money to go to obedience classes, PLEASE give this dog to a no-kill shelter.

This animal deserves to be trained with kindness, not brutality.

Training a dog can be exasperating. But NO DOG EVER SHOULD BE TRAINED WITH PHYSICAL PUNISHMENT. Dog brains don't really work that way. Physical punishment just makes a highly stressed dog who still wants to please you but has NO IDEA what you want.

Dogs need to be taught ALL of our human expectations. EVERYTHING from whether it's ok to sit on the couch to what's ok to chew on and where/when it's ok to go to the bathroom. 

Tiring dogs out with long walks, opportunities to run safely off leash and lots of exercise EVERY DAY helps focus their mind for training. It also gives them better health.

Please take the time to invest in training with your dog if you are going to keep them. If not, please find a safe, loving home or no-kill shelter so they can have a forever home with someone who will love them and raise them with the proper training.

I got a 'supposedly' adult dog that was 'supposedly trained with the basics. (housebroken, sit, stay, etc."

Depending on how you got the dog, and the terms in which it was represented to you that the dog was adul t and trained to reasonable degree, you may have a case against the supplier for false description.

I'm not talking court case, but grounds to return the dog, ask for money back if it was bought, and then seek a better suited dog or other pet starting from there.

Sometimes, I adore her. Other times, I want to beat her to death. My husband thinks I bought her as his play toy and ruined her personality. She was soft, sweet, and gentle. Now she tears around the house 90 miles an hour eating anything she can put in her mouth, and running from me when I tell her to do something she DOES know to do. Help! Is this going to be worth it, or should I just give it up? Thanks, imptsd65

If the impulse to violence is liable to get out of hand, or be traumatic to experience or control,then a pet may not be a good move unless very carefully selected.  Almost every pet presents worries and frustrations sooner or later.

As far as training the dog, I'd suggest that you should consider taking the dog to suitable classes, so you can get information on handling and care techniques while working on the dog's training.

Me, I don't have a live pet due to physical limitations, but I use hobbies and craft-work in a similar role.

Now there's an odd thought (I tend to do those.)  Bonsai trees do need looking after, but they don't do tearing about the house.

Chris.

I have been raped 5 times, beat too many times to count, and many other things. You being cruel to me doesn't help me, it helps you to remain cruel. I asked for serious advice, not a chacacter assassination. Thanks Emettman for the mature, helpful answer.

My email to the mods was FOR the mods. I have one tiny place to go and be myself in this world, and that is here. I don't want to share it with people without ptsd, because as you just proved, you don't get it. You are rude, insulting, and can push someome over the edge. There are a hundred other forums for you to be in, this is not the one for you. You think someone who just killed 8 people in war and comes home and kicks his dog needs kicked from you? You do NOT understand ptsd. That's why you should be on another forum.Shame on you. You don't have the experience or authority. Tittynia

I NEVER said I beat her. You assumed it. I put her in her box and came in here for advice and you all chastise me. Thanks for calling me an animal abuser. Feelings and actions are 2 different things. I guess there really is no place for ptsd people. This sure isn't supportive. It's just more abuse. If I wanted to kill the dog, it would be dead. I came for help. My mistake. There is no help on here, just mean bullies.

I am going to lock this thread because I think that most of the useful advice that can be given - has been given.

For the most part, I didn't see anyone call you an animal abuser - simply suggest that you may not be in a place to train a dog.  I certainly am not in a place to train a dog and if I had one, I would run into big trouble.  Not because I'm a bad person - just because it's not something I can do right now.

But this isn't really about training a dog.

I am sorry that you don't feel you have a place where you can be yourself.  It's also hard for me to know where I can talk openly about my PTSD.

That being said, one thing we will not do here is have people trying to "one up" each other on whose trauma was worse.  It's just not something that we do.  Nobody has the market cornered on post traumatic agony - PTSD is one very specific set of symptoms.  It's not the only way to experience horrible pain from trauma.  And this board is a place to talk about PTSD AND trauma.

If you would like to talk about PTSD in a place where only people you want to hear from can comment, consider a blog.  That's a place where you can delete anything you don't want to hear.

You can also post a thread and choose what advice you would like to listen to by quietly ignoring the things that don't fit (although that risks missing valuable perspectives).

But you don't get to attack other members' experiences of trauma and you don't get to dictate who is allowed to post where.

Edited by tryp