CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
LetMeEatCake!

Brintellix- Is anyone else actually taking this?

32 days on 20mg.

Last week i saw my doc and she found me overexciting (but i think that she was afraid of hypomaniac episode,although I am not a bipolar), She persisted to take 5 mg Saphris every night and stop Remeron. I read very nice and positive reviews for this medicine. I took it for 3 nights. A total nightmare. Very very very bad taste and very negarive effect. It blocked all Brintellix positives. I was very calm and nervous at the same time. Like a nervous zombie and thanks god i had an allergic reaction so she told me to give up immediately. After 2 days I feel again human. I only take now Bri/Trintellix and feel energized and positive to life .

4 hours ago, spyker said:

32 days on 20mg.

Last week i saw my doc and she found me overexciting (but i think that she was afraid of hypomaniac episode,although I am not a bipolar), She persisted to take 5 mg Saphris every night and stop Remeron. I read very nice and positive reviews for this medicine. I took it for 3 nights. A total nightmare. Very very very bad taste and very negarive effect. It blocked all Brintellix positives. I was very calm and nervous at the same time. Like a nervous zombie and thanks god i had an allergic reaction so she told me to give up immediately. After 2 days I feel again human. I only take now Bri/Trintellix and feel energized and positive to life .

I found the 2.5mg more tolerable but ultimately quit it due to akathisia.

Hello! I started this med about 8 days ago, and it’s just making me feel a bit drunk  and spacey and not all here... good news is no nausea really, nor sleep disturbances, and after failed attempts to get on Zoloft, Paxil and Effexor last year due to awful start up side affects I am pleased so far nothing is major, 

BUT I am worried I feel a bit more sad in a way that’s not my normal depressive mood, and the spacey not there feeling is getting to me...I’m only on 5mg, but I hoped that after a week i wouldn’t feel so spacey.

i take it in the morning...should I try in the evening? 

It's definitely worth trying to increase and shove through it. I didn't totally feel better until I got to 20mg. 5mg made me kind of restless/hyper. It gets more calming in the higher doses without sacrificing too much on stimulation. I don't recall feeling drunk or spacey on it in the beginning though. If anything I was more alert and reactive.

Thanks!  I don’t feel stimulated at all, more sedated and detached...don’t like it at all

Edited by Brain zaps

Am i Right in thinking that Brintellix is similar in chemistry to Prozac? Also long half life?  Prozac I took many years ago and frankly don’t remember it helping much, but did find the start up fairly easy and first few days stimulating...

1 hour ago, Brain zaps said:

Am i Right in thinking that Brintellix is similar in chemistry to Prozac? Also long half life?  Prozac I took many years ago and frankly don’t remember it helping much, but did find the start up fairly easy and first few days stimulating...

From a chemical structure perspective, it is quite different. And from a pharmacology perspective, it is quite different as well. Prozac's effects can vary greatly based on dosage. At 10mg, it's mostly just a plain old SSRI but starting at 20mg and getting up to 80mg, it touches dopamine and even norepinephrine to a lesser extent. Considering it was the first selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, it isn't very selective. But its affinities for action points other than the serotonin transporter are still negligible relatively speaking.

Trintellix hits serotonin and norepinephrine at a ratio similar to Pristiq or Effexor maybe at 150mg. But it potently blocks several serotonin receptors that are better left inactivated when the SSRI component increases the serotonin levels in the synapse. This causes all kinds of positive downstream effects. Blocking 5HT7 could have positive effects on depression, your circadian rhythm, sexual function. Blocking 5HT3 can reduce nausea but also causes histamine release which is why some people get itchy when they first start Trintellix. Activating 5HT1A enhances antidepressant effect of an SSRI and also might reduce the time that it takes for an antidepressant to take effect.

You are correct though that both have long half-lives which makes coming off of them easier because they taper themselves. However there are a couple more variables with Prozac. It inhibits CYP2D6 which metabolizes it in the body. So the half-life of Prozac gets longer as you take it. The half-life for the fluoxetine component is 1-3 days for a single dose. But after chronic administration, the half-life is more like 4-6 days. Prozac also has a critical metabolite norfluoxetine that has an even longer half-life and has this extending effect over time. After chronic administration the half-life of norfluoxetine is about 16 days. Trintellix on the other hand is just one compound, vortioxetine. It has no active metabolites, and it doesn't mess with its own metabolism. It has a half life of about 66 hours. You can multiply the half life by 5.5 to get an idea of the number of hours it will take to reach steady state, which for Trintellix is 15.125 days. Whereas with norfluoxetine's maximum half-life of 16 days, you could theoretically still be getting to therapeutic levels up to 2-3 months from when you started it.

If you aren't feeling stimulated yet, I would say to continue increasing. The effects of Trintellix were different at each dose for me. It was incremental, but 20mg is by far the best dose to be at. In clinical trials they said with veritable certainty that everyone should just go to the 20mg dose because at 5mg and 10mg it almost didn't do much better than placebo.

Trintellix takes time and patience. Keep in mind the steady state time of 2 weeks. After a dose increase, it will take 2 weeks for that new dose to stabilize in your blood stream and you may continue seeing improvement beyond that 2 weeks.

Thank you that is  very informative, yes I’m taking it slow at just 5mg till the end of this week, as I have had such strong reactions to other SSRIs before and I was pretty terrified at starting another one, but heard this one can be easier to start, and of course had got to the point where living without meds really isn’t working out so well currently ??‍♀️

From a side effects perspective, I can't really name any now that I've been on it for a while. I mean it was a bit activating for me when I first started and when I increased to 10mg but it didn't happen as much at 15mg and 20mg. Other than that initial agitation, it's been a very tolerable AD.

• Thanks 1

To Browri, I've been reading this forum without signing up but with your informative & honest reviews & updates, I felt the need to be able to respond. I'm new on sticking to trying to "stick" to antidepressants because I knew the chances of working were slim & I also knew many people through out my lifetime that although they were able to "tolerate" their before intollerable issues, they've all become something different. I mean, they tolerated other things I  could not. Like a messy house or letting my weight get out of control because I didn't care about eating so much. I've always been the exact opposite, & obviously although always thought "under control" have been OCD, yet the OCD I've had is more related to things being under "Control"..House, Organization, Future..& After "Life" has now  Happened..as in what ALL People go through one way or another, things happen that even the Best "Cannot Control"..That's when it hits you, rather me, that with all my "Control" & allowing everyone elses stress to be thrown at me, & let me say, what I really mean, is since I'm the "ONLY" one in a large family, I've been the one who never self medicated, yet everyone comes for help..One way..or another.  Seems I''ve been the REALLY Stupid one, because the stress finally at an age where it's negatively affected my healh, my ability to be social, to be a true wife to my husband of over 35 years, who Thankfully IS Social, so he Thankfully in one way has been able to do the things I don't WANT to do, like even the grocery shopping, let alone the errands. I do my part as I can, from INSIDE the home, & although like I finally told an Expert..Although again, this is Major for me, always told people & friends I didn't NEED one..Ah wrong. I NEEDED one a long time ago. Sorry to get off point, that happens even with Severe Depression, & anti social now as one could possibly be, along with only OCD I have now is to >>Weird one>> Brush my teeth, wash my face, & take care of our Financial responsibilities, as in "Paying the bills on time"..My husband & I are retired & have been for a while, truly believe that Added to the Problems, with being bored comes stupid stuff, like shopping & eating out..That get's Old real quick when you're a Minimalist, yet hubby like others uses Shopping & Eating to ease his "Energy", he was able to get from his meds a long time ago. Me the DUMB Stubborn one, who for too many years INSISTED I didn't Need ANY help, well fact is, I did, & I Do. So, when I finally realized I was headed down to a significant weight loss I was told would cause me to shut down..I started to get some tests to rule out other factors. Not much, mainly the normal especially if ones had intestinal issues all lifelong, & thyroid, so normal tests I should've had a bit more of. When my gastro "Suggested" I see a Psychiatrist I was actually stunned.. I still say although can't go through with rest of tests I need done..yet, But I still say I DO have a physical problem that's caused the rest, like the serious weight loss, to the extent of over 22 lbs out of 132 on a 5'3" small frame..so Significant. All in less than 8 to 9 months. I just knew it was more than an "Emotional" problem, & will not know if it is until I DO get back out for more testing..However, my entire point..so sorry, trying to get to, has been being able to STICK with ANY Psych drug, knowing the stats are Not good for them really Helping any Majority of people. It is Your Posts I've been reading since I was put on Trintellix, my lady began with 5mg for a 7 day period, & then 10mg has been only today is the 6th day. She has me on 1 more week of 10mg after this, & then I see her again. This is the LONGEST I've ever tried one, or stayed on one, because I've read your posts. I am not bi-polar because I have NO Highs or Happy times, Never really have..Just faked being happy when I had to. Anyway, just wanted to sign up to say Thank You, because if not for reading your Very Informative & Honest reviews I would've given up on it already..I've had no itchy ..yet, & very little nausea, NO Vomiting, but also, only what?? 13 days today on anything at all..DO have to take .50 Xanax for anxiety, & Always had to take Ambian for sleep, get only 5 hours with it, been on it for over 20 years,  unfortunately, don't forget anything not even at night..Mind constantly going..AM Wondering about hair loss though, seems to be kicked started..This along with not helping on the Anti-social, & Zero Motivation would be reasons to give up..Again..Feel this for a woman who's always had long thick hair, this could be because of weight loss, but the loss has been over a year now..the meds are the Newest..well one med.. I did have some trying to "Rationalize taking my life" & knew it was time.. I did think though, "what would happen to my younger rescue, & my brother who just lost his wife due to cancer this April, who has always had to DEPEND on someone else to PROP Him up, since he has always suffered from Bi-Polar for certain with no Insurance or meds, always said he didn't NEED them, he Does & Always has NEEDED something.. has never been able to hold a job..had some EXTREME EXTREME happenings during his entire life time. Again, Off Topic, also our daughters thankfully are strong & all very accomplished, but my son, who used to be an Over Achiever, now since self medicating such an over active mind, not able to do much of anything..Thankfully, he is helped by another family member. Always worry about my husband who acts strong but says I'm the best thing that's ever happened to him..Lord..His Meds definitely Work..Hope they Never Stop for him..He's a really Great Man, & I've been very fortunate in many ways..Yet have always felt I wanted to "Fix" everything..& at this time of my life, reality is, Can't Fix Anything or ANY One, including myself..You have a lot of knowledge in your posts, & share a lot of honest information. I appreciate that. Usually on forums & Boards I've not seen much of that & I usually lose interest real quick..However, with your posts & a few others, I see honesty, & not BS. Again, Appreciate that Truthfullness. OK, obviously I could write a book, another problem I have..funny, took myself off of all social media, a time ago, well earlier this year, because I realized it just added to my extreme depression & anxiety, so I did try to help myself..but this time..I needed something else..Going to at least give this a try for the 1st month, & see what happens. Thank You to all who are so informative here..

Dear dcfla,

1. Nice and honest post.

2. Hair loss propably is seasonal. It is normal to loose hair at Fall.

3. I am sure you will be much better after one month and sure more socialized, Be patient with Trintellix.

On 1/7/2014 at 12:16 AM, LetMeEatCake! said:

Yesterday marked 1 week on Brintellix. Yesterday and today haven't been as good as the past week, not as much energy and less of that outright happy feeling. I've been searching to find what the expected time frame is for Brintellix to show its maximum benefit but haven't been able to find anything yet.

Going up to 20 mg tomorrow and down to 75 mg of the Effexor. I will keep reporting back.

You're still on Effexor?  My PDoc told me he would have to take me off Effexor before Trintellix but it's safe to do both?

11 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

You're still on Effexor?  My PDoc told me he would have to take me off Effexor before Trintellix but it's safe to do both?

As far as I know there isn't specifically a med interaction between the two. That's mostly just the Trintellix/Wellbutrin combo that's problematic. If anything the only concern should be serotonin syndrome.

Just an update, I’ve been on Brintellix over 2 weeks now, 

foggy feelings and spaced out ness is a lot less now, but I switched to  taking them before bed. Still on 5mg, and soon will go up. I still feel a bit unhappy about the detached and dampened emotional feelings, it’s like a filter that is only letting irritation through but general mood is more meh than when I’m not taking anything. So good feelings arealso dampened. But then deep lows are too  so I suppose that’s the pay off. 

Lucky with minimum nausea so far. No other side effects 

20 hours ago, Brain zaps said:

Just an update, I’ve been on Brintellix over 2 weeks now, 

foggy feelings and spaced out ness is a lot less now, but I switched to  taking them before bed. Still on 5mg, and soon will go up. I still feel a bit unhappy about the detached and dampened emotional feelings, it’s like a filter that is only letting irritation through but general mood is more meh than when I’m not taking anything. So good feelings arealso dampened. But then deep lows are too  so I suppose that’s the pay off. 

Lucky with minimum nausea so far. No other side effects 

Don't read into it too much yet. I was still pretty depressed and anhedonic at 5mg and even at 10mg. It wasn't until 15mg that I finally started to feel better. My pdoc also wanted me to wait patiently at each dose before going up so I think I was on 5mg for 2-3 weeks when I should have increased more rapidly. It certainly made the startup more tolerable though going slowly.

3 hours ago, browri said:

Don't read into it too much yet. I was still pretty depressed and anhedonic at 5mg and even at 10mg. It wasn't until 15mg that I finally started to feel better. My pdoc also wanted me to wait patiently at each dose before going up so I think I was on 5mg for 2-3 weeks when I should have increased more rapidly. It certainly made the startup more tolerable though going slowly.

Yes I’m nervous on start ups as had some really crap experience , so I’m going slow, but maybe too slow! Thanks for the encouragement to keep going. I haven’t been on an AD for 20 months, just tamesta here and there , but now I’ve bitten the bullet to start one again I really want it to work... depression is so lonely and Becuase it’s possible I have some kind of low grade mood swing disorder, I always think I’m ok, till the next low...as I don’t get manic and feel pretty normal between th lows ..untill I realise how miserable the lows are :( 

how about irritability in Brintellix ? I seem to lose it in 0.5 seconds going from just going about my day to super aggravated at warp speed...

Edited by Brain zaps

22 hours ago, Brain zaps said:

Yes I’m nervous on start ups as had some really crap experience , so I’m going slow, but maybe too slow! Thanks for the encouragement to keep going. I haven’t been on an AD for 20 months, just tamesta here and there , but now I’ve bitten the bullet to start one again I really want it to work... depression is so lonely and Becuase it’s possible I have some kind of low grade mood swing disorder, I always think I’m ok, till the next low...as I don’t get manic and feel pretty normal between th lows ..untill I realise how miserable the lows are :( 

how about irritability in Brintellix ? I seem to lose it in 0.5 seconds going from just going about my day to super aggravated at warp speed...

Irritability is definitely a possibility on Trintellix. I think it has something to do with its partial agonism at 5HT1B. I did notice I was a bit more reactive for a few days but I manage that well right now with Depakote and Rexulti.