CrazyBoards.org

Re-humanizing people who died in mental institutions...

This is a really nice story about paying proper tribute to people who died while they were living in a long-term mental institution in Minnesota.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/nation/july-dec13/graves_12-26.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=newshour

We have one of those old mental hospitals not far from where I live. I went there and walked around the grounds. It is truly sad to see how people there lived and died (there was a cemetery on the grounds). It's hard to believe that these were operating hospitals not that long ago. Many people who went there didn't really have much hope of ever getting out. Now thanks to neuroleptics, many people who would have had no hope before can live normal lives. I don't see how anyone (anti-psychiatry) can deny that neuroleptics, antidepressants, and mood stabilisers work and have made a huge difference in the way we treat the mentally ill.