CrazyBoards.org

Pain and birth injuries

Angeni Mai

We all know that birth injuries are taxing on the family of the child but the child's pain is hardly ever openly discussed, and in many cases, hardly ever spoken of by the child.

Why am I bringing this subject up you ask? Well, here is the short answer: I have mild cerebral palsy on my right side, however, just because it is relatively mild compared to others, it still causes me physical and emotional pain at the age of 22.

Anybody else suffer from a birth injury? Would you mind sharing your story?

I was born 10 weeks prematurely and was sliced open so they could put a tube in to reinflate my collapsed lungs. This was done with no anesthesia. At 5 months old, I had a hernia operation and was given no pain medication, because at the time, they didn't believe babies could feel pain. I do believe these experiences have affected my emotional self as well as my very low tolerance for pain.

I think about this sometimes.  I was a NICU baby and I had a significant number of surgeries and procedures, followed by a fair number of hospital stays even after I got out of the NICU.  And NICUs back then were, I think, even nastier than they are now.

I often wonder if it changed the wiring of my brain and made me more vulnerable to developing the mental illnesses that I eventually developed, even though I don't remember it.  Specifically, I wonder if it altered my ability to form secure attachments and I wonder if it contributed to how fearful I have always been, even before the traumas that gave me PTSD.

Edited by tryp