CrazyBoards.org

WHat would AAP's do to you if you didnt have a MI?

I have been feeling really good since I have been off work for 11 months. I feel normal. I am going through the common question, wondering if I am really BP afterall. I have no plans to stop my meds.

What would happen to a Non Mentally Ill person if they took antipsychotics?

Does anyone know?

Other than possible side effects I don't think they'd have any effect on a healthy person. Don't quote me on that though as I'm not sure, that's just my guess. If they would have a positive effect on a healthy person I would think that people might abuse them and I don't think I've ever heard of someone abusing an aap before...

I imagine that it would depend on which AAP and and what dose. I am guessing, but I think that Seroquel would just make them sleepy and act as a sort of high-intensity Benedryl since it's also plays with histamines. For example.

Sleepy. I saw some kids try to recreationally take seroquel they where out cold in about four minutes. I warned them.

Yeah, isn't there like a mini-epidemic of people abusing Seroquel for that reason in prisons? Or did I just make that up in my head? I swear I've read that somewhere.

I have read that about Seroquel and prisons too.  I don't get the point of recreationally taking a drug to make you fall asleep, or get fat, which is mostly what Seroquel gave me.  I've never been sure if it's an urban legend or a real thing.

Sleepy. I saw some kids try to recreationally take seroquel they where out cold in about four minutes. I warned them.

Yeah, isn't there like a mini-epidemic of people abusing Seroquel for that reason in prisons? Or did I just make that up in my head? I swear I've read that somewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised. I remember my old therapist telling me when she was working at a prison, there was always a long queue after dinner at the nurse's station with people wanting their nightly Seroquel. They wanted the Seroquel so they would be knocked out for the night, because there's nothing to do once you're in your cell again.

re: recreational abuse of APs - that relies on the sedative affects. Seroquel is probably the most used recreationally. Aside from being used as a downer after a high, some people mix it with alcohol [it can really increase the effects] or they mix it with cocaine to form a "Q-ball" [which sounds pretty stupid, IMO].

TL;DR - taking APs when you're not MI would be like taking a sleeping tablet. Zzzz.

I often wonder if antipsychotics affect non-psychotic people differently than people who have or have had psychosis. I do not suffer from psychosis (so I'm told), but I take and have taken AAPs for depression. I have never had the anhedonia side effect that so many people complain of, and I've been on five antipsychotics. However, I have had SSRIs aggravate my anhedonia due to my illness. 

I often wonder if antipsychotics affect non-psychotic people differently than people who have or have had psychosis. I do not suffer from psychosis (so I'm told), but I take and have taken AAPs for depression. I have never had the anhedonia side effect that so many people complain of, and I've been on five antipsychotics. However, I have had SSRIs aggravate my anhedonia due to my illness. 

I've been psychotic many times (manic psychosis, BP1), and I've been on a LOT of antipsychotics (old ones and new ones) and have never had anhedonia as a side-effect of them, either. Could be different for people whose primary illness is a thought disorder rather than a mood disorder I suppose, but that's just conjecture on my part. 

• 4 weeks later...