CrazyBoards.org

My husband gave me a Ninja single serve system pulse for Xmas. I had wanted it because I became disappointed in my juicer wasting most of the produce, plus I wasn't getting the fiber.

So I just made my 1st smoothie with soy milk, frozen banana, pear, and kale. WOW! It tasted pretty good. Easier cleanup than my big hulk of a juicer. Hope I can do this every day.

I am doing this for both my physical health as well as mental health (since I believe eating well can influence mental health. I want to replace empty calories with this.

Anybody else tried green smoothies?

yes! i love my green smoothies, altho' mine are a bit different from yours.  i only have a blender, but it works well enough.  i use spinach, several fresh or frozen bananas and some kind of berry or apple slices (J likes peaches in hers but i don't).  i also add water until the desired consistency is reached.  i believe how and what we eat is directly tied to our health, physical and mental.  it can be hard to eat well on a really tight budget, but J and i do the best we can.  just an FYI: don't use collard greens; i did once and it was kind of awful, lol.  romaine lettuce works well, tho'!

I make mine with spinach, banana, pineapple (frozen unsweetened chunks), orange juice and yogurt most of the time. Easy because I usually have those ingredients on hand - I freeze my bananas in chunks when they start to turn brown, so I usually have some in the freezer or on the counter.

I've also made some with kale, blueberries, flax seed, raspberries and blackberries with almond milk. I don't like those as much, I'm not sure if it is the kale or the flaxseed, but it coats my mouth and makes my teeth feel funny.

I also use a blender, just a run of the mill one, not one of those super-powered ones. Oster? I think?

cranky, doesn't flax seed give stuff a sort of snotty texture?  you know, kind of slimey...whenever i eat oatmeal with flaxseed, it feels slimey...

gelatinous?  might be a more acceptable way to describe it

i'll have to try some pineapple in my smoothie

i have an oster blender too

I don't know, the flax seed I used was a blend with dried blueberries; both ground up so it's the texture of ground black pepper - not superfine, but not chunky, either, know what I mean? I got it at trader joe's when I was on a blueberry kick this past spring. I've never cooked flaxseeds before and have only taken them as powdered capsules in the past, so I don't know if it is normally slimey. But that could totally be what the mouth thing is, although the reason I suspect the kale is because it's similar to the mouth feel I get when I have cooked spinach; I can't really describe it. It just makes my teeth feel funny to my tongue. LOL I only use fresh baby spinach in my smoothies, so for the other smoothie, it's not an issue.

Spinach (and other leafy greens) contain oxalic acid, which combines with the chemicals in your mouth to produce that weird feeling on your teeth and tongue.  It's harmless in the amounts you ingest in a portion of spinach, and the nutritional benefits of dark greens far outweigh the negative side.

Just thought I'd throw that in.  I think smoothies are fine, but I'm really into chewing so I like to eat my food in its original state.  But carry on!

olga

- I freeze my bananas in chunks when they start to turn brown, so I usually have some in the freezer or on the counter.

That is a great idea!

cranky, doesn't flax seed give stuff a sort of snotty texture?  you know, kind of slimey...whenever i eat oatmeal with flaxseed, it feels slimey...

gelatinous?  might be a more acceptable way to describe it

i'll have to try some pineapple in my smoothie

i have an oster blender too

When I add flaxseed it doesn't alter the taste or texture in mine.

When I make my smoothies, I haven't added green yet, but plan on adding spinach when I get to the store next.  I use almond milk, protein powder, frozen strawberries, flaxseed, chia seeds, and bee pollen (if you google it you'll find it is really good for you; I bought it on Amazon).

I have been drinking these over the last few months since they were recommended to me by my doc.  I start with apple juice and spinache then add a scoop of sorbet (have tried to drink them without the sorbet, and I just can't do it.)  sometimes a bit of yogurt.  a tablespoon of flax seeds or chi seeds (and no, I don't notice any slimy texture from them) and then frozen fruit. I have tried strawberries, rasberries, peaches, mangoes, blueberries (but no blueberies with yogurt, the blueberrries seem to curdle the yogurt) what else???

I was drinking them pretty regularly until two weeks ago when I sent out traveling for th holidays.  I have been home for two days now and need to get back in my routine!

Spinach (and other leafy greens) contain oxalic acid, which combines with the chemicals in your mouth to produce that weird feeling on your teeth and tongue.  It's harmless in the amounts you ingest in a portion of spinach, and the nutritional benefits of dark greens far outweigh the negative side.

Just thought I'd throw that in.  I think smoothies are fine, but I'm really into chewing so I like to eat my food in its original state.  But carry on!

olga

Thank you for the info, olga! That's very interesting.

I like smoothies in part because it's the only way I can ingest leafy greens without tummy trouble. Eaten whole, they go right through me, it's crazy. And I love me a good spinach salad, but it does not love me back. A friend used to call me The Salad Shooter and I'll let y'all figure that out instead of spelling it out for you. heh.

Simplegreensmoothies.com

This is where I'm getting my recipes from. I found the "optional" ingredients at trader joes, except for the chi seeds which they were sold out.

Thank you everyone, I am enjoying all the input!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that I decided to freeze a banana like suggested in above post, but realized you have to peel it before you freeze it; otherwise you can't open it up LOL.  I tried to thaw the banana out and all it did was become mushy.

Note to self: peel banana before freezing!

Melissa, I freeze them with the peel still on and just use a knife to "slice" the peel open and pull it off in pieces. It's probably a lot less effort to just peel it first, though. For some reason I hadn't considered doing that, lol.

Melissa, I freeze them with the peel still on and just use a knife to "slice" the peel open and pull it off in pieces. It's probably a lot less effort to just peel it first, though. For some reason I hadn't considered doing that, lol.

The banana was so hard when I took it out of the freezer I could get a knife through it. 

• 3 months later...

this is the first time i noticed this topic!  i love my green smoothies.

the thing about flaxseed being gelatinous is true (once it's wet).  you can use a tablespoon of flaxseed mixed with water to replace baking with eggs, if you're trying to convert a recipe to vegan standards.  it gets really slimey like a raw egg.

I add extra liquid to smoothies (milk or juice) to thin them out when flaxseed makes them too gloopy. I'll do this for non smoothie things too. I have greek yoghurt with nuts and frozen berries and flax meal for breakfast in summer. (I like to start my day with something healthy but only if it tastes nice. :) ) I need to add some milk to loosen the mix up, otherwise the flaxseed kind of binds it together into a thick batter.