CrazyBoards.org

Pressure in your head

I mentioned this on my blog. 

Does anyone get this?  It's not a headache, it feels like something is pushing inside my head. 

It usually happens when I am instable and my head is expanding, because the universe is inside it, or if I have fast thoughts.  Sometimes when I'm depressed I feel agitated and it happens them. 

I don't describe it very well.

Sometimes it feels like I am shrinking down and going inside my head. 

I sort of get that, when I'm manic or going there.. and when I'm depressed, I get the shrinking feeling.. hard to explain.. not really sure what helps.. I think it's delusional for me.. sorry I can't offer more info.

I get that, too. I think it's usually attached to anxiety and racing thoughts, or when I'm just generally overwhelmed... It feels like my head is going to explode. I hate it, and it usually doesn't go away until I'm somewhat stable again.

I wonder if anxiety/stress/rage/etc is linked at all to some sort of inflammation in the brain, and if that's maybe where the pressure comes from? I feel like I've read something suggesting it, I know I've read articles suggesting a link between inflammation and depression at least. I did take ibuprofen pre-meds sometimes to calm down a little, since whenever I took it for pain I noticed a slight evening in mood. So there's that. I don't know. Just a thought I guess.

I don't think I get that feeling,but I get the opposite feeling when going through withdrawals of medicaton... my head feels 'empty' like there's this sudden hole in it. Its the weirdest feeling and it is uncomfortable. Anyone get that feeling too?

I have this sensation if I miss a few days of meds. It is usually what makes me realize I am spacing on my meds.

I dunno if it's the same, but I'm maybe experiencing that right now. Kinda like a balloon being inflated inside the head putting pressure on the skull from the inside. Also a tingly feeling. Plus A little bit of a headache type feeling or Maybe more mild nausea—kinda feels like someone is playing ping pong inside there, for,lack of a better way of putting it.

I had really bad chronic tensions headaches for a number of years following a rather disastrous episode, but those got cured by Paxil. My headache doctor said SSRI antidepressants can help, so I tried a boatload them. Couldn't tolerate the side effects, so eventually just gave up. Then a. Umber of years later, I saw an ad on TV for Paxil, and thought, "What the heck?" And I was on vacation when I upped the dose, and like magic the headaches were suddenly gone. I still have some triggers (caffeine and altitude changes), but the headaches are not nearly as bad as they used to be when. I do get them. I did seem to have what people describe as migraines back in the summer before I got bamboozled with a series of episodes. I had really bad light sensitivity and even the light bleeding through closed blinds was painful. I taped black plastic garbage bags over them to block the light out. Then things were OK for a while, and then the cray cray hit. And I got light sensitive again, and haven't had my blinds open in months. But I can't really say much about headaches since then, because I fell off the wagon when the episode hit, and I can sometimes get dreadful hangovers. So I don't really know when I have a headache ATM. For whatever reason, lithium seems to be interfering with my buzz, tho, so I'm hoping that will help me quit.

I have been getting the "pressure in the head feeling" for over a year now. I've tried so many different medications to get rid of this. The only antimanic mood stabiliser that is strong enough to get rid of it is Lithium 1800mg (for me) but I get a really bad side effect from the Lithium - startle response, which is unbearable so I'm still trying get the combo right... When I was just trying monotherapy, epilim for example, I would show manic symptoms - rapid speech, going a million miles per hour and then all of sudden I would get the pressure in my head and then it feels like a brain spasm. Sometimes the feeling would last for a couple of hrs then I would go back to normal state. Then it will repeat itself again later on... I'm currently on 450mg lithium, 2400mg epilim and have just started Seroquel XR 200 mg... Still isn't working and finding this process to be highly frustrating and really affects my mental state. So hard to keep it together which this abnormal thing is happening.... What do you all think about Lithium and Tegretol together? Any experience with it? Cheers