CrazyBoards.org

For you - is therapy really *half*?

I feel like not much can even "sink in" until my brain is relatively stablized on the proper meds. I feel like I don't feel well enough for the "feel good" stuff to happen until my chemistry has evened out. I find therapy helpful, but for me it feels like 2/3 of it is medication. And for me therapy without medication is useless and counterproductive.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me at my best on meds I still have outrageous symptoms

therapy for me is 2/3 the puzzle.  I learn to  cope with my behaviors - then modify them - then create new thoughts and whatnot

it's different for everyone

sometimes like in depression therapy isn't going to do anything until the meds have started to work, but it's still important to go to therapy

sometimes like in depression therapy isn't going to do anything until the meds have started to work, but it's still important to go to therapy

Yeah - that's what I mean. For me maybe it's felt like a bigger part of the puzzle because finding the right meds has been an EPIC struggle. So I guess I see that for me holding more weight because I feel like I've been through hundreds of meds before finding one that got me stable enough to where therapy would "work," while other people might have had success with meds sooner and so they see therapy as the bigger mountain, you know?

Until my meds start to work - *nothing* works.

Hm...

I think that therapy has certainly done more for me in terms of overall mental health, but medication was necessary for the therapy to start working.

As the meds worked, the therapy became more and more relevant and applicable.  When I'm in the PITS OF DESPAIR (Princess Bride quote machine deactivated) nothing that my therapist said to me made sense.  "You want me to take a shower?  But I could lie in bed and hate myself instead.  Let's do that."  Or...  you know, I didn't even go to therapy.  That kind of thing.

So half works for me.  Without meds, the therapy wouldn't have made a dent, without therapy, the meds would have only helped a little and I would've had a lot more episodes and needed to be much more strongly medicated.

yeah, it's probably 50/50 for me. Though I've seen the same pdoc for therapy for a long time and trust him completely. But when I first went to him, and I was really depressed, I spent a lot of time in his office not speaking and waiting for the meds to kick in, so definitely therapy got more useful when the depression lifted a bit. Still, having someone listen when you feel crappy is pretty nice.

I think for me therapy was more than half, but I think that represents some of the difference in treating certain kinds of trauma vs other kinds of MI. Meds were a godsend when I needed them. But I also kind of think I got caught up in some "iatrogenic" (fancy word for "caused by the treatment") effects that made things harder.

For me, therapy was the thing that finally got the splinter out so the festering could stop and my body/mind/soul could heal themselves properly.

I don't think it's always one way. During phases when my meds aren't working, I don't know how much real progress my pdoc and I make together, but it's important to see him because he knows and cares about me and he can help me keep a grip. When I'm on good meds we can buckle down and work on things that are problems for me.

I feel like meds are 80% for me and therapy is 20%. But really they work on different issues. Meds help with the biological part, and therapy helps with all my maladaptive coping mechanisms, flawed logic, avoidance etc. They are both important.

I think for me therapy was more than half, but I think that represents some of the difference in treating certain kinds of trauma vs other kinds of MI.

I think this is a really, really accurate way to state this.

My last experience with therapy was very very BAD but it was good for some of the other people there.

It feels though, like sometimes saying that it's not 50/50 or that therapy doesn't work for me until the meds kick in is taboo. At least, it was in my last group therapy setting.

We were told every day that "There is no magic pill that will make you happy" and I found it kind of belittling and insulting to hear it phrased that way. Especially as someone on benzos with a history of seizures for whom sudden disruption of meds may induce seizure, and had some of my meds go unfilled for a week or longer. There's no "magic talk therapy" to help seizing, but that seems taboo to say in the world of therapy.

I felt like there was a real push to move people away from thinking about the medicine, which I found troubling.

And again, that's just another example of different ways of helping different MIs.

FTR I've had very good experiences with therapy too, though. I LOVED my last therapist but she passed away. :( Unlike seeing my psychiatrist, I looked FORWARD to seeing my therapist. I always felt better when I left, I felt like I had a "plan." I found the homework assignments a pleasure to work on.

Therapy made me sicker. I've seen many different therapists and up to this point I'm still unsure whether they are helping. Medication actually helped me feel happy and stable for a few months

I think bad therapy is absolutely terrible and it really REALLY derailed me. I'm feeling like I'm on the mend again but I should have been here 2 months ago. Oh well.

My experience is a lot different to everyone else, in that therapy is the mainstay of my treatment. I think without therapy, I wouldn't have gotten better. I found that medication was useful for treating acute symptoms but it didn't help me move beyond them. They were good for maintaining a level of functioning, but therapy helped me deal with accepting my conditions, being aware of early signs of trouble, and building a better image of myself. Those aspects were integral to me being able to move on from being assailed by relapses every few months to being stable. 

"There is no magic pill that will make you happy"

Well, in a way it is true. Medication is, in essence, symptom relief. However, mental illness is more than that - it's a global disorder that affects cognition and emotional processing. It's incorrect, IMO, to focus on one aspect of treatment only. 

Edited by Reverse The Polarity

For me i get nothing out of therapy, my meds are the only thing that keeps me stable, other than that i really am debating giving up therapy all together. I reckon i tell other people my problems more than i do my therapist and so far this is my 5th visit and i havn't even begun to learn coping strategies or anything

For me therapy was good for PTSD type behaviors/triggers but I'm not currently going because I ran out of things to talk about. So I guess for me the therapy is 20 percent, 80 percent meds. I am fine right now minus the therapy. Without the meds I'd probably be IP.

For me therapy does nothing for my endogenous depression, but it did help me immensely with some situational crap I was going through a few years ago. It also gives me some coping skills. I guess it is about 15% therapy and 85% meds for me.

I think medication is probably like 80% of the treatment for my depression and maybe like 5% of the treatment for my PTSD.  And that 5% is mainly the prazosin, without which I would probably wake up screaming every night from the heinous nightmares.