CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar I or II

Hey there,

I have been diagnosed with bipolar II almost 10 months ago. I am on 200 mg lamictal and 50 mg seroquel. I have decided to change my psychiatrist because he makes me cry all the time and i have began to think that he doesn't try to find solutions for my problems and here i've got a new doctor. We talked about an hour and he said that I'm actually bipolar I and the period i talked about is a manic period of mine not a hypomania.

The period is 3 months long. At that time I was totally a different person. I got into a heavy debt with my credit cards and i didn't stop and i also borrowed money from my friends. After that i rented a flat with my friends which is a residence more than flat. I was drinking too much alcohol, almost every day. Sometimes i was drinking a bottle of wine just to sleep. I was sexually enormously active. I have made terrible mistakes. But at that time everything was so good. I thought it was such a wonderful life. I was beautiful and smart. I could get any man i want and i did. This was my summer briefly. After school began things get worse. I wasn't totally up. I had up and downs. After all i have found myself thinking about death. I had an horrible depression. I had some anxiety attacks which i couldn't breath and shaking all my body so on. It was a result of the things i did. My doctor said that i had an manic attack 3 months long and then had some up and downs and my treatment began late(7 months later).

I didn't tell all the story to my first doctor because at that time i didn't think it was an abnormal period. We just talked about my current up and downs and mostly my depression so se prescribed lamictal.

I'm a little confused. I was in doubt about being bipolar and having a hypomanic attacks

. Now they are saying me that i got a manic attack.

Also he said that lamictal and seroquel worked on me for now but in the long run i would begin lithium as well because lamictal wouldn't be enough.

I am wondering what you think. I need some opinions. What does separate mania from hypomania? Doesn't hypomania last that long?

Also sorry about my englis. I know it isn't perfect:)

Hypomania can last anywhere from a few hours to a few months.  Hypomania can have a lot of the same features as mania, with "feeling on top of the world".I suggest you check out this thread: http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/55785-life-advice-for-someone-who-just-went-bipolar/  as it talks a lot about symptoms.

I am not sure why your doctor believes you will need lithium as an ad-on.  I've never heard anything about lamictal becoming less effective. Perhaps you could ask your doctor to clarify.

I haven't heard anything about lamictal losing it's effectiveness either.  However, I have heard that it is better for BPII which is more depressive, not BPI.  If your doctor thinks you have BPI instead, that may be why he's thinking lithium, which I hear is better for mania.  But don't quote me, because I'm not a doc.

I am Bipolar 2 and can relate to your experiences completely.

In my experience it takes some time to find the precise cocktail which is different to every person because we are all different.

Be patient with the Dr you decide on who will have to find this cocktail through a little bit of trial and error.

I find my hypomanic episodes are short and my depression loooooong but my symptoms have been greatly reduced since starting Faverin (generic of Luvox, Dr said it affects weight and libido less) and Lamictin (Dr said to get no generic because less effective.

Pharmacy didn't have last time I was there and gave my Epitec and I'm definitely short circuiting and getting manicky.

I understand that BP1 may have more psychotic symptoms like delusions and even hallucinations.

About the English, I find my spell checker quite helpful except for the names of meds :)

Good luck!

i have ocd  bi-polar 1  and mixed state.  i can relate to your story. i have long bouts of mania and at the time i think its great or i dont think and my behaviour becomes radical and i put myself in bad places  or situations and i also find that i drink alot more which doesnt help but i have the best sleeps when i drink.  and sleep with men during these bouts and feel absolutly nothing for them. cant get away from them quick enough, then i self harm and get sucidal thoughts. it just goes on and on and i rob peter to pay paul so to speak (money). i tell myself one day at a time and take small steps and then ive got my meds, i wish you well. dont be to hard on yourself as we are already.

I'm grappling with a similar question.  I'm calling it "high functioning bipolar type 1.5" - you can totally share this label if you want.  All joking aside, I have been on the thread that Phoenix_Rising suggested and done some of my own research and think I'm a luckier type 1 who gets delusions but not psychosis.  I really really like lithium and lamictal gave me the rash so I guess it's a good thing.  I hope that you find something that makes you feel stable.

Thank you all for your response. Dr said that he cannot increase my lamictal and instead he can add lithium. I think i'm okay now. I have some attention problems and for that he gave me also another medication but not ritalin or concerta because of the afraid of the mania. It's modiodal. He was afraid that i can experience another mania with this med. I don't feel anything wrong right now. I try very hard to be normal and i'm normal i guess. I am trying to be away from the alcohol and any reckless sexuality. With the new med i guess i'm awake during the day and it is easier to give attention and study. When the night comes i have seroquel and i can sleep. İ think i have the right cocktail right now but sometimes giving up all the meds attracts me. I wanna see what happens but i'm also afraid. I have lost everything and i tried so hard to built up the things.

I cannot stop thinking about what if i'm not bipolar. What if i was a bad person and i regret the things i've done and i've changed. Is there anyone who thinks the same way? What if we just use the bipolar thing as an excuse.

Yes.  I sometimes think that.  In fact, I got my original BP diagnosis, ummmm....  (doing math is hard <_< )  15 years ago.  And then from a second doctor 13 years ago.  And a third doctor 11 years ago.  And a fourth doctor 10 years ago.

Now I am finally, FINALLY, deciding to NOT decide I was just a party girl/slut/bitchy friend/compulsive shopper/insert self-deprecating label here and accept my diagnosis.

Best of luck to you.  This road is hard and bumpy.

I find it odd he won't increase the lamictal and is so pushy in adding lithium. Lamictal can go much higher but, well, I'm not a doctor. My own pdoc would rather increase, rather than add meds.

Hm, the seroquel is low. Have you talked about increasing that? Seroquel is effective in treating depression and is a good mood stabilizer as well. Just a suggestion.

Best of luck.

When I was diagnosed for the first time, I was never given a I or a II. But over time I felt it must be II because my manias never were that crazy or bad. But then when I had an extensive neuro-psych evaluation done a year ago it was determined I was bipolar I. It was later on confirmed by myself when I had a 4 and a half month pure manic phase. I didn't go psychotic, but almost. I was not sleeping, not eating, spending too much $, getting into fights with my mate, feeling paranoid, talking way way way too much, having all these intense ideas and wanting to do them all at once.. started spinning out of control and suddenly the irritability got too much for me and my mate to handle so we called my pdoc and when I saw him I casually mentioned my "bipolar I disorder" and he didn't bat an eyelash. So I guess that is actually what I have. I was never formally diagnosed but if you read the signs yourself you can probably determine what you are, and then have it confirmed by a professional. 

he said that they dont increase it more than 200

I've taken up to 600 mg before.

Yeah i know that people take that but i've been said drs dont prefer that here.

Where do you live? You are only allowed a therapeutic dose between 150 and 200mg? I've never heard of such a narrow window before.

he said that they dont increase it more than 200

I've taken up to 600 mg before.

Yeah i know that people take that but i've been said drs dont prefer that here.

Where do you live? You are only allowed a therapeutic dose between 150 and 200mg? I've never heard of such a narrow window before.

Turkey. I know it's odd and i don't know why. Maybe they are not fan of lamictal, who knows.