CrazyBoards.org

Depakote ER side-effects: suck it up?

I am on my second round of Depakote ER (for almost 7 weeks now) after being off of it for several years. First time around, I was on it for a year. The reason for getting back on Depakote was because I didn't have any memorable side effects from it, and it worked what I was using it for: migraines & SP seizures.

Right now I either A) have a hole in my memory or B) am being a pussy. I can not stand my side effects! I definitely do not remember having these side effects.

I am aware that the stoopids come with the general population of ACs, which I do have ("I can't explain that to you, can you please try to read my mind and translate for yourself?"). I also have the usual worsening fatigue, weakness, and spots-in-my-vision things.

But these symptoms are the most bothersome:

1. extreme lack of coordination (clumsy!! holy shit am I clumsy!!!)
  2. lingering anxiety/agitation (I am a bitch who is prone to say: "don't touch me!")
  3. I tend to bleed easily! cuts, scrapes, bruises, etc. It's so easy for me to get hurt when I never have before!!

I am wondering if I should just suck it up & take my meds as prescribed, and talk to my Neuro in February? Or call on Monday and ask if I should nix it?

I am just reluctant, I suppose.

This Neurologist is very new, and I left my last Neurologist without getting adequate help & information. I am unsure if it is a good idea to call his office and complain about the first med he gave me. Especially if the worry itself is minute. I do not want to look med non-compliant or look like a difficult patient.

I don't like to necessarily view it as complaining when I bring SEs to a doctor's attention.  I prefer to frame it in my mind and how I ask them as, well, "is this anything I should be concerned about?"  "(List of symptoms) - I don't recall having these the last time.  (Length of time they have been going on.)  Is this something I should be concerned about?  Should I keep an eye on it?"

Side effects can and frequently go away after being on a med for a while; perhaps returning for a bit after the dosage is upped.  Perhaps it is  not concerning now, but if it continued maybe.  That sort of thing.  But I always figure it is best to keep my doctor in the loop.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I did call my neuro, and he he told me that a couple of the side affects were common, but considering i was experiencing new side affects (compared to previously) it was a sign that I was not going to tolerate Depakote long-term. He had me stop taking Depakote & prescribed Topamax, to which I will be starting it in 4 days.

I appreciate the replies Mirazh & hagar  ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

It's actually pretty important to tell your doc about side effects. 

Yes, I know :) I was going to discuss side effects regardless. The issue I was mulling over was whether to call for an emergency appt. or to suck it up until my original appt. later this month.

Update:

Topamax treating me well so far! Up to 25 mg b.i.d and tolerating side effects quite well  ^_^