CrazyBoards.org

does anyone find general breathing throughout the day hard..due to anxiety?

does anyone else struggle to breath even when just sitting down laying not doing anything that uses effort because of anxiety? 

Im physically healthy, but my doctor seems to think the only reason for my breathing problems is anxiety

I dont mean during an actual panic attack 

I DID have shortness of breath as well on a regular basis even when I wasn't panicking, BUT my baseline WAS anxious as fuck I just didn't realize it because I thought it was normal. I didn't think I was really anxious, but I was. My heart would also race when I thought I was fine. I was not.

I had at least three different doctors tell me that my heart and lungs were okay as well. They told me it was anxiety. I didn't believe it ever, but I stopped going to the doctor for it because I knew what they'd say. Now I have a "once or twice a year" rule should it ever pop up again. I went three times in the same year, maybe half a year and got the heart tests and shit too. 

Now that I'm not as anxious, I do not have the breathing problem at all. I also quit smoking and knowing that I was smoking seemed to make this happen often as well. My heart still races sometimes. I think it is irregular now, but I'm not going to flip out about it.

Hopefully SOMETHING in there was useful. 

When my baseline anxiety is particularly bad (as it has been since the new year started), I do have trouble breathing. I just have to concentrate on it more because it takes a lot more effort. I'm physically healthy as well, besides having persistent tachycardia (high heart rate) because of my anxiety. I'm sorry you've been experiencing that, it really sucks. Try to concentrate on deep breathing exercises, perhaps that could help. It helps me sometimes.

I used to have this problem. I found that the more I thought about breathing, the worse it was. Deep breathing didn't help me but actually made it worse. I had to try to distract myself and get my mind on other things.

Yes I´ve had problems with general breathing. But I am convinced it was NOT caused by anxiety, although my pdoc told me it was.

Last time I was having breathing problems, I figured out (myself) that my metformin (anti diabetic med) dose was too high. I told my GP, and when my dosage was decreased, the breathing problems stopped.

Sometimes meds can have different side effects. I am not saying is your case, but the fact that you don´t have a lung problem doesn´t mean it has to be an anxiety problem. Keep on trying to find an answer.

Sometimes I do.  I also will wake up from a dead sleep having a hard time breathing, usually from a stressful dream. 

I also have asthma, but the difference is when I wake up and a xanax helps (meaning the hard to breath is from anxiety) vs the inhaler helping for the asthma.  If I wake up and think it is asthma and I use the inhaler, if I get more anxious it means it is from anxiety.  If the inhaler calms down my breathing I know it is from the asthma. 

Using the inhaler when I think it is asthma, but it is really anxiety, sucks because it just makes it all worse.  Sometimes it is just hard to distinguish.

I often find myself borderline hyperventilating without really being aware of it all the time while just feeling anxious and not having a panic attack. When I first started getting panic attacks I read somehwere online something so simple that has helped me tremendously. Take a deep breath in and say something generic like "Calm" and then when you take the deep breath out say something equally as cheesy like "Peace." If it is anxiety induced, being aware of it and focusing on your breathing and different breathing techniques may help, even if it's for short periods of time throughout the day. Or as another poster said, it may work best for you to ignore it completely. Regardless, search for techniques online, it's amazing what random thing may work for you. I wish you the best of luck.

I think the first time anyone suggested I might have "a problem" was when a TDoc asked me "Are you holding your breath?"  and the answer is pretty much all the time.    So - anxiety?  Breathing issues?   Mark that down as a Hell yeah!

Yeh when i am in a car or out in the boat i choke up and i get a sense of inner restlessness and i have to remove myself from that situation otherwise i start screaming and yelling and totally freak out

My breathing feels like i am choking up and i cough alot and start to get a choking feeling

Ever since taking pristiq i've never had this problem or if i do it is generally minor

Yes, but only when I'm in an anxious situation. I had a therapist work with me on breathing exercises, as well as when I was in the hospital, we had the "Snoozelen room" where we had comfy chairs, and even a ball pit, and we'd work on relaxation and breathing, and it helped a LOT. You can get CD's and phone apps, and actually learn how to breathe properly. Seems silly, but it works. 

"Learning how to breathe? I've been doing that my whole life!"

I spent all of last night trying to control my breathing, and never got it completely under control, so I didn't sleep. One minute, I would try to do exercises I learned in CBT, but 5 minutes later, I was holding my breath. I was really freaking out that I might be hallucinating, although I am now 99% certain I was not.