CrazyBoards.org

Urban Outfitters use mental health as a fashion statement

Tea & Sympathy

I was really pissed off & disgusted by Urban Outfitters' treatment of mental health, making light of serious conditions just to make money.

First they had a 'Eat Less' t-shirt which has thankfully now been pulled

2010-06-03-Screenshot20100603at8.24.13AM

And now they have a 'Depression' t-shirt, reducing a serious mental illness that affects a lot of people into the mere fashion statement of a 'super depressing tee'
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=29812401

urban-outfitters-black-multi-depression-

Its ridiculous how a popular & well known brand can stigmatise mental health & reduce it to a 'cool' fashion statement when so many are campaigning to counter this view.

Are these t-shirt fine or do you find them disgusting?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that they are really stupid, but I don't find them outrageous. If I found them insulting then it would mean that my illness has become part of my identity -- and I don't ever want that to happen. I may suffer from depression, but depression is not me. The T-shirts are not talking about me but a disease. But, yes, they are really stupid. I can't see them doing a cancer t-shirt.

I sometimes like telling people I'm certifiably insane in casual conversation and then watching them squirm.

They get uncomfortable for a while and try to figure out whether I am serious or just doing a shock-statement thing. Even if they come to some sort of conclusion there, it's difficult for most people to figure out where to go next.

...that's good entertainment.

So, yeah. I would totally wear some kind of OCD fashion just to fuck with people at this point.

I have left parties because people have been so blindsided by even the tiniest suggestion of mental illness. Pulling crazy faces and messing with peoples head is not going to make that any better for anyone.

That's all well and good, but when people are being jerks, ESPECIALLY, its not my job in my private life to educate people and to live on a soap box twenty four seven.

I choose to mess with people who are close minded, because that's how I deal with jerks.

You choose to give people moral and ethical speeches on how they should serve for the betterment of the mental health community.

we all make our decisions.

Please don't tell me how I should serve everyone else on earth, thanks.

ETA:

Often, I have found in my case that people are SO messed up more for the reason they become overcome with the idea that they have been talking with some one for several minutes who is actually *gasp* fucking nuts, and didnt even know it.

It challenges everything they believe.

Before you tell someone how to conduct themselves, maybe think about how YOU are making SOMEONE else feel shitty, titania.

HA:

I have left parties because people have been so blindsided by even the tiniest suggestion of mental illness. 

One more "one more" thing, while we are at it though:

Why is it more helpful to leave a situation where people are "blindsided" by the discussion of mental illness?

They are disturbed so instead of exposing people and having them realize you are actually a normal decent person, you escape, withdraw, hide?  How does that help? 

Please advise.

Edited by LunaRufina

I would just prefer to challenge incorrect assumptions than walk away; because I find it funny doesn't mean it's entirely counterproductive or that I'm doing something bad.

Apparently, though, that is the entirely wrong way to go about things.

I don't even get what the message of that t-shirt is supposed to be. "I'm depressed?" "Depression is awesome?" It just confuses me.

Also I don't really care one way or another but calling yourself "certifiably insane" - whatever that's supposed to translate into in the real world - and looking for a reaction - seems a little childish. But I definitely might have done it when I was younger, so, whatever.

Luna, I don't think that anyone is saying that what works for you is wrong. Nor that it's wrong for you.

Just that it doesn't work for them at this point in time.

As for the shirt, I won't wear it because I think it looks silly. But I think that a lot of fast fashion companies do fairly controversial things to keep their name out and relevant and to not be relegated to the dustbin of "that's what my parents wear!"

my guess is that the message is "we're so young and hip and edgy. Look at us being able to say words that our parents won't say!" But that's just a guess.

yes. It's worth noting that this is what Urban Outfitters does, repeatedly:

http://theweek.com/article/index/220370/racist-navajo-attire-and-7-other-urban-outfitters-controversies

It's all about controversy for the sake of controversy, and selling stupid sound bites to people who don't think critically about their meaning (no, I'm not implying anyone here).

ETA: I had no idea that the word "Navajo" has copyright protection.

Edited by Unstrung Harp

I sometimes like telling people I'm certifiably insane in casual conversation and then watching them squirm.

They get uncomfortable for a while and try to figure out whether I am serious or just doing a shock-statement thing. Even if they come to some sort of conclusion there, it's difficult for most people to figure out where to go next.

...that's good entertainment.

So, yeah. I would totally wear some kind of OCD fashion just to fuck with people at this point.

Yes.  I would also do this, because I'm a dick.

Then again I have a necklace that is neurotransmitters (dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine) modelled in silver so smart people already know I'm crazy :D

Also I don't really care one way or another but calling yourself "certifiably insane" - whatever that's supposed to translate into in the real world - and looking for a reaction - seems a little childish. But I definitely might have done it when I was younger, so, whatever.

Calling someone's actions childish is probably a little childish in itself.

Uh oh, now I'm being a little childish.

But that is, in fact, what you were suggesting.

So now I have in fact fulfilled the prophecy.

Do you want to play the "how old are you"game?

Maybe you don't see the purpose in challenging people, but I do.

If people think that sitting around on their asses and having quiet one-on-one whispers or walking away changes other individuals' minds, that is fine.

But implying my behavior is childish because you don't agree with it is a bit nasty, frankly.

After all, Crazyboards is based on challenging people: their attitudes, preconceived notions, routines, and what they believe to be fact... in order to make their lives, health, and the world [in the bigger picture] better.

If you think that none of the staff here have ever said something to challenge another person and gain a specific reaction in order to reach a precise and beneficial destination, kate, you are quite misinformed. 

yeah, i think it's pretty funny to challenge the crap out of people because I find it entertaining to bring people out of the box they construct for themselves, watch them shake it off and have some bizarre realization.

I also think jerks deserve to be shaken up, not coddled if they are being willfully ignorant.

What i think is childish is actually holding onto preconceived notions and declaring that anything beyond those preconceived notions is immature, inappropriate or just flat-out wrong.

Oh no, I'm perceived as childish by someone who knows very little about me [including my past personal, professional, educational experiences, or my age]. I mean really, someone is making a rash judgement call of my actions?

What the hell else is new?

Side note for educational purposes:

To be "certifiable" is slang for being declared legally insane.

Often associated with being committed to an institution for mental treatment, but also to be determined by a medical professional mentally incompetent or to be given a medical diagnosis of some sort of insanity or mental illness.  There was a time when people were termed to be certifiably insane.

I use it as tongue in cheek now.

It's an older term, older slang.

SORRYSOCHILDISHOMGKTHNX.

Edited by LunaRufina