CrazyBoards.org

Are your meds effective treating your symptoms?

I find mine pretty effective (in signature). I still have the occasional bad day, but for the most part, yes. It's not only meds that control symptoms, though. You need to work at it with therapy, the community and more, also. My pdoc stresses that.

My meds haven't been helping me in over 7 months. Doing nothing at all for my symptoms. However, over half a year ago, Risperdal did help me and get me back to 'normal,' so I'm on the med-go-round and hoping something works soon. Meantime only Klonopin helps somewhat to take the edge off a bit.

My meds help me a tremendous amount. Things would go really badly if I didn't have them, though it may take a week or two to fully feel the effect of no meds. I take saphris, haldol, wellbutrin xl, and lamictal. Pdoc put vistaril on my patient assistance app, I guess I'm supposed to be taking that for anxiety, it would have been nice for him to give me that script (we discussed me taking the vistaril, he just never gave me the script, I didn't know he actually thought I was taking it) but that's an issue for my next appointment, lol.

That being said, I still hallucinate (visual) despite feeling really well, occasionally struggle with negative symptoms such as not having the motivation to do shit and feeling nothing when I do things that would otherwise make me happy/warm-fuzzy/etc. Meds can't fix everything but for me, they do a great job!

My meds are all that stand between me and Koo-Koo Krazy. Fortunately they work really well.

I do have this fear, though, that at some point I'll get a stomach bug or whatever and not be able to keep my pills down. That really scares me because without my meds I'm about 2 days from total Looney Toons.

Nope. Meds have never helped me for more than a few weeks. My opinion of them changes as frequently and drastically as my mood. I just spent the past few hours making up a list of mood stabilizers, researching them, and determining which I'd like to try next. I'm really hoping to find a good cocktail soon so I can be a well-functioning human being (without making me a zombie).

My meds (in signature) are pretty much my permanent cocktail, and really help me.  Doses are adjusted at times, but the same meds will always be there.  I'd be screwed without them.

ETA: It took a long long time to come to find this cocktail though that really helps.

Edited by melissaw72

My meds definitely work, but I think the Wellbutrin may be causing anxiety, and doing less for my depression. When I get a fucking pdoc, I intend to work on weaning off of it. My old pdoc and I were talking about it, and then I had a dysphoric mania, and that became what we were focused on.

My meds, specifically Zyprexa, are very helpful.  Zyprexa stopped my rapid cycling and returned me to the most sane state I've been in for years.  The problem is the side effects: wicked appetite, fatigue, and having to take insulin (I've had diabetes type II for several years and Zyprexa made my diabetes go completely wacky).

If your meds aren't helping, its probably time to change things up and try something different.

Thank you so much for your responses. In my case zyprexa works well, what I don´t like is side effects: weight gain. Lexapro works better for my depression but it makes me have rapid cycling.

I know that I can´t function if I am not medicated.

No still not..  Have tried many antipsychotics but may not take them anymore because of neurological issues.. 

I had been stable for one year with Abilify, then episodes starting to come back (every year worse then before). Then Zyprexa was started, but gained 8 kg on 2 weeks, I had to stop it.  Then neurological issues started come from the AP's... 

I'm now on Tegretol 800 MG and Melatonine (1 mg) to sleep, but still not stable yet....  :glare:

Edited by InnovatingProfessor²

Yes, thankfully my medication is controlling my symptoms.....for now anyway! This time last year I was in the middle of a 2 month spell in the psychiatric unit, so you never know. I have been well since March 2013 on my current cocktail and hopefully will remain well, but I feel more in control than I used to be.

I attended a bipolar support group which was a huge help. I have learned how to recognise early warning signs and what to do if they occur. Also I am more aware of my limitations. Medication has been working well for me but it doesn't work in isolation.

Meh, sort of but not really. Trileptal helps my anger, Klonopin as needed helps with my anxiety, but I'm still fighting a really persistent depressive state that I think has been going on for over a year. I just came out of IOP a month ago so I'm back to my outpatient pdoc and she finally added Prozac, this is only my third day on it, but it has certainly helped me in the past. I just want these things to work, I'm so weary of it all.

InnovativeProfessor, what kind of neurological problems?

Musclescramps + very very severe dyskinesia | The neurologist advised to drop the antipsychotics and even Botox for the dyskinesia. But I am recovered from it. 

My pdoc said he never had seen so severe dyskinesia. In his 22 years he was a shrink, just 3 cases and my dyskinesia was the worst he ever saw.  Now I have pdoc professor because the regular one finds it to complex and sophisticated...  :huh:

Edited by InnovatingProfessor²