CrazyBoards.org

Hello. I'm looking for people I can relate with.

My name is Darin. I am diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. Other diagnoses I have had are: bipolar, type1 w/ psychotic features, psychosis NOS, ADHD and borderline personality disorder. I do not believe in psychiatry. I believe my chemical imbalances are caused by my medications. I have a terrible time when it comes to dealing with mental health "professionals".  How professional can they be when they cannot find the cause of my so called illness? No blood tests, MRIs, CT scans, etc. can prove that I have a chemical imbalance that causes a diagnosis in the DSM-IV. However, I do have REAL chemical imbalances and problems that can cause mental instablity, and they are related to PHYSICAL infirmities. I will elaborate in later posts.

Welcome to Crazyboards.  I ask all new members to read the rules, which you might have read when you signed up.  It gives you an idea of how we operate.

You will find out pretty soon that we are a pro-medication and pro-therapy kind of place.  It's okay to question all of this stuff, but most of us here believe in working with our health professionals, taking our meds, and getting therapy when indicated.

olga

Hi Darin.

Welcome to CB.

The tricky part with mental illness is that it's not simply an issue of the brain and the brain's chemistry. It's also an issue of the mind. And we don't have the science to examine and diagnose the mind in the same way that we look at livers and kidneys at this point in time.

But what we do have is an understanding of the notion that there are symptoms that cause difficulties with emotions, relating to other people, being productive, and being connected to present consensual reality. And we have some tools to work with those difficulties that include both physical medicine and behavioral/emotion processing medicine. For many to most of us, pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy are a big part in what works to keep us functioning and stable.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

I am also curious based on your username if you might find perspectives more consistent with your belief system through ayurvedic medicine.