CrazyBoards.org

Can BP mimc MDD

Cause as you see I have both which confuses me.....I have had the effexor xr in my system for about six months and five weeks at 75 mg....So Last year was awful.......The depression was so bad so we tried ritalin....worked at first but the doc didn't want me on it anymore......What I'm trying to say is that maybe I'm just having my depression lifted instead of being in a BP low.......But a BP low would make more sense to me since My mema and dad have BP and I have the symptoms..... What are your guy's outlook? That's all I'm asking cause I know you would want me to talk to my doc about this.

Edited by sonicwhite

I do think that BP can mimic depression because a lot of people are first diagnosed with depression and later have their diagnoses changed to BP. This is sometimes the case when a person is BP II and there is no mania, only hypomania, because people usually seek help when they are depressed and are less inclined to seek help when they are hypomanic.

This is why the doctor-patient relationship is so important. Your doctor sees your mood states over time and can form an accurate picture as to what is going on. If you are confused as to why you carry both the BP and the MDD labels, ask your doctor. We can only speculate.

Depression is part of BP, I'm not sure you can have BP and MDD? (Anyone?)

You could be going through an episode of depression? You said you were recently manic, you could be coming down.

I do think that BP can mimic depression because a lot of people are first diagnosed with depression and later have their diagnoses changed to BP. This is sometimes the case when a person is BP II and there is no mania, only hypomania, because people usually seek help when they are depressed and are less inclined to seek help when they are hypomanic.

This is why the doctor-patient relationship is so important. Your doctor sees your mood states over time and can form an accurate picture as to what is going on. If you are confused as to why you carry both the BP and the MDD labels, ask your doctor. We can only speculate.

I agree with this.....He only saw me after I had seen three other doctors that said I suffer OCD and Cannabis Psychotic disorder.....When I met him He put all the other's on and the BP I came from several doctors over the years of going to IP and them saying I have a mood disorder. So I just accepted it and put it on here.

I'm sorry but I keep screwing up the quote thing!

Edited by sonicwhite

Technically, and perhaps I am wrong here, but I believe ALL people with bipolar disorder also by default have major depression.  Because you have to have one hypo/manic episode and one depressed episode for the dx, correct? 

So, especially if you were BP 2, then yes, it absolutely could mimic a recurrent and treatment resistant major depression disorder. 

But in actuality, they are separate diagnoses. 

For years my dx, depending on which pdoc you asked, was depression, or bipolar, or seasonal affective disorder. 

Actually, a BP1 diagnosis only requires the occurrence of one or more manic or mixed episodes, with or without major depressive episodes. Not all BP1 patients have depressive episodes as part of their illness. 

Edited by hagar running