CrazyBoards.org

Hi crazies (lol), I've been on your website recently and found the information and sense of community quite inspiring. 

Well, I'm a 17 year old high school senior with major depressive disorder... that's about it i guess, that's all I've got.

Obvious symptoms of a mood disorder surfaced at 14 years old, but now that I know more about mental health i realize that I was probably very different in the way I think from early childhood. 

Two years ago my family saw that my mood was become a problem and starting to affect my life so they made me go to our general practitioner and from there I referred to a psychiatrist, whom I am still currently with.

I was hospitalized three times in three months back in mid 2013 for suicidal thoughts and intentions, self harm... and other usual stuff that we all go through here (stay strong together (: ).

There has been some debate on the diagnosis which may explain why nothing has worked thus far. I was once given a diagnosis of bipolar 2 and bipolar NOS and doctors were treating me accordingly. However, after my most recent hospitalization the diagnosis is now MDD, but I think all of us (including the doctors) are a bit confused as to what exactly is wrong with me.

So yeah, that's where I am now... in a long stalemate of doctor giving medications and me staring at them hoping one day one of them will work.   

I realize this is getting long so I'm done now thanks for reading if you did :)

Hello OysterWorld:

I think diagnosis is not that important, as it is treating your symptoms. My doctor didn´t tell me my diagnosis, until 5 years after treatment. Mental illnesses symptoms sometimes overlap. And the same medication can work for different illnesses. For example my pdoc uses an antipsychotic as a mood stabilizer.

My diagnosis has change over the years. And the meds have remained the same.

Thank you for the warm welcomes guys :)

Yeah I realize that I probably shouldn't worry too much about diagnosis. Lately my pdoc has been using APs as mood stabilizers just as you said combined with an anti-depressant to try and boost the mood, unfortunately that has not worked yet (not even a scratch)... but here's to hoping, right. 

Welcome to Crazyboards.  i ask all new members to read the User Agreement, just so we're all on the same page.

I hope that our members can offer you some support and information. 

Good luck!

olga

Welcome sweet heart!

I can relate to you muchly- your story sounds like turning the clock back on mine almost perfectly. Though I am now 24 and in Dec my diagnosis was confirmed BP.

If you ever want to chat, feel free to message me xx

I don't mean to sound at all like what you've been through is anything less traumatic than you've said; I just want you to know that I was a lot like you almost 20 years ago, and my heart goes out to you. It took this long to get a diagnosis that makes sense to me, and shrinks to listen to me. I wish I had some advice for you to help you, but right now all I can tell you is that especially with suicide, you beat it day to day for a long time, not just one day it's gone from your *options menu* internally. I can tell you honestly that in over 25 years of dealing with severe depression and the like, my darkest days are almost always followed by one that is better...better enough to be glad you're still there to see it. You are at an age that you couldn't pay me to go back to because my teens were probably the worst decade of life. Give yourself a chance to know how much better your 20's will be! Hang in there, you have so much life ahead of you.(Sorry, I know it sounds cliche, but seriously don't judge life by what you're going through and have been through in your teens- being a teenager is really F'ing hard when you aren't *like everybody else* :excl: ). That part does get a bit easier once highschool is in the rearview. I hope this can bring you some comfort when you need it most. <3post-35967-0-74370500-1389688655_thumb.j