CrazyBoards.org

Hi crazies,

So I've been in outpatient care for over a year now trying different medications and therapies to try and make me feel better. See, here's the catch... none of the medications seem to have any effect on me at all. I mean nothing. Or nothing that I can see. I read about some people seeing a marked difference sometimes when they try some new medications, either bad or good, but I've never had anything close to that ever happen to me. My case presents like an easy-to-treat depression, which is what my psychiatrist said, and that after a couple of anti-depressants I should be feeling better shortly. Yeah.. that didn't happen. We've tried so many medications that he is starting to panic now and he even recommended electroconvulsive therapy.

My question is does anyone else have this problem? And if you do what are you trying/what works for you?

Edited by OysterWorld

Are the meds in your signature all the ones you've tried? If so, there are a lot more you could try. There are more SSRIs, then there are other classes of antidepressants like TCAs (one of which I'm on), SNRIs, and MAOIs. And there are other meds you could augment your ADs with, like Lamictal to name one example. Don't give up yet :) you still have options. 

Thank you for the support guys!

As you can probably tell I haven't been doing this mental health thing for as long as others (just over one year now). My doctor is currently trying to use APs combined with antidepressants to try and improve the mood. I know I still have options and Lamictal is next on the list I think I just hope that it doesn't take too long for something to take effect. The fact that there has been nothing at all from any medication so far is getting tiring it's like I'm not taking anything at all. If someone changed my meds without me knowing i probably wouldn't realize at all.  

Thanks again though for your advice :)

I just hope that it doesn't take too long for something to take effect.

I'd give the meds at least 6-8 weeks to see if it really helps or not.

It also took me finding the right pdoc (psychiatrist) and many years after that to get my current med cocktail to help.  Hang in there; there has got to be something/some combination out there that helps.

It doesn't look like you've tried an SNRI. Cymbalta is working really well for me, in combination with other drugs. There's also Effexor, Pristiq and Fetzima.

Two other classes of drugs you haven't tried are tricyclics (TCAs) and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). These are older drugs and have their problems (side-effects, dietary restrictions) but they work extremely well for a lot of people who fail to respond to the modern antidepressants.

Personally, I wouldn't resort to ECT without trying at least one drug from each of these classes. That decision belongs to you and your doctor, of course. I'd just prefer to exhaust more options, if it were me.

I think the Lamictal is worth a try, but it takes a long time to titrate up, and only *then* can you begin to count off the 6-8 weeks. Is your depression at all cyclical? I know there are some on here who seemed to present as MDD, yet responded well to ACs. Whether it is sub-clinical bipolar (my dad would call it "soft bipolar"), or that just some people with depression respond well to ACs, it is definitely worth looking into.

You have a lot of other things to try, though, I just wanted to chime in. :)

I'm no help. I've found the same problem. So far either things don't help or if they start to they come with such horrendous side effects that they make no difference anyway. I'm planning to see a pdoc soon. Fingers crossed we both find something helpful.

Thank you for all the information about medications I will definitely be mentioning some of the categories of medicines to my doctor next time. Some I haven't even heard of lol.

I did do some CBT therapy back in mid 2013 and did it for probably 18 weeks until I was hospitalized. We did not carry on after that due to financial constraints.  

• 2 weeks later...

The one time I tried meds, they made me a zombie (It was Risperdal, so I guess that was the point? Idunno). If you're in Colorado or one of the places it's medically legal- do marijuana. If you can't handle smoke, get a vaporizer or a food infusion (warning, these things will get seasoned stoners blazed in a couple hits/bites, depending on what kind of weed you put in them, so learn your tolerance slowly, before you go and overdo it. You will never overdose-that's not physically possible without like, a two-liter bottle sized IV of pure THC, but if you smoke "too much" at once, especially with a low or lower tolerance,  then you can risk some nasty side effects like really bad paranoia, headaches, dizziness/motion sickness. If you're totally unsire, then take one hit/bite at a time, then wait a few minutes and see how you feel between each next hit/bite. With edibles, it can take up to about an hour to hit you, so honestly, I wouldn't go there until you know your tolerance.).

Keep some healthy snacks on hand, because the munchies are a real thing, and if you're not prepared, you can gain some weight from it.  They can make you feel super hungry, even when you're full (which is why it's great for people with eating problems or chemo side effects). It's better to gobble down a bag of grapes than a bag of Doritos.

If you're not living somewhere it's legal, then well, I'm not going to tell you to risk your job/freedom by breaking the law. But I won't tell you NOT to either. It's -your- life, you can decide what risks are and aren't worth it to you.

It CAN be psychologically addictive, especially for people who are depressed etc who can come to rely on it, so be careful with that. Not a BIG big deal, ifit happens to happen though, because you really can quit if you try, even psychological weed addiction is easier to fight than a cigarette addiction. Just, keep track of yourself so you know if/when to cut back or stop for a while, to avoid the whole problem. IF you start getting unduly stressed over the idea of not having it, it's probably time to cut back or quit for a while. Then get back on when you get rational about it again.

Edited by WhatIsSanity

Hi WhatIsSanity.

On this site, we don't prescribe for other people... including suggesting that they try marijuana to manage their symptoms. You are more than welcome to say how something has helped you.

However, you have NO IDEA what the original poster's brain and body are like, and whether marijuana will do the OP more harm than good. Some people here do use marijuana for medical purposes and it's just fine. Others have found that marijuana makes all their symptoms phenomenally worse.

Antidepressants didn't work for me at all until we added an aap. It was the combination that helped me, but the antidepressants alone did nothing. It did still take a couple of months before I noticed a difference though. That many drugs in a year makes me think that you didn't wait long enough to see if they were working or not. Most antidepressants (and aaps) take about 6-8 weeks to take full effect and make any difference.

Thank you for more replies (even the marijuana one...)

I know I have taken a lot of meds in one year, but my doctor has made it a point to allow enough time for them to work before we decide to change them. We wait at least 6 weeks and try different doses before trying anything else. I have been taking a combination of medicines for a while now as we found that just an antidepressant was clearly not working. 

I have another appointment in a week which will make it well over 6 weeks on the current medications and I don't know whether he will change anything or keep it the same. I still don't feel much better though so I don't know what to tell him because he will change the meds if I just say I feel bad. But I don't know whether its worth staying on a cocktail that isn't working well enough for me so...

It can take years sometimes to find the right cocktail of meds that help you.  It took many tries of a lot of meds and different combinations and over many years for me to finally get the right cocktail.

Hang in there though; you may find a cocktail that helps a lot faster than I did :)

Yes it can take 6-8 weeks before you notice the full effects when i was first given anti depressants i felt a lot better after 2 weeks.

I have also taken others that within a few hours of taking them i would get physical and mental side effects. There is only one pdoc in the area i trust to get it right and i can't just request to see him so it's a risk for me each time i try something,hence why i haven't for 18 months.

Hopefully you will find one to suit you soon, be as honest as you can about your symptoms to the pdoc as it will help them find a more suitable medication, if you have other mental health issues ie. anxiety etc then tell them .

And then there is talk therapy, my Docter is always advocating that instead of medications, my general docter that is. I've never found it as affective as medication, but it might be worth trying talking about your feelings etc. There is also cognative behavioural therapy (i'm always been told to have this),but i need to be stable with my depression and anxiety to have intensive therapy otherwise i get very unwell, very quickly.

Edited by neptunesky