CrazyBoards.org

My feelings aren't valid bc I have BPD

I have BPD and this apparently means that every time I get angry or irritable I'm having an episode or it is somehow discounted because of my constant identity changes and unstable mood bullshit. Or a fight with a friend is bc I have tumultuous relationships. Then, I become upset because rather than having "normal feelings" these "friends" state that my anger is merely another symptom of my unstable personality. Does anyone else find themselves constantly pathologized? Like your feelings aren't normal because you have a PD? I am so fucking sick of every time I have a bad day it's bc I'm mentally ill, maybe it's just because you're an asshole. Can anyone relate to being so pathologized?

My feelings aren't valid bc I have BPD

Quite false.  Feelings are legitimate no matter what you have.  If you're pissed off, there's a reason, and it's not your head.  Honestly, if your friends are saying whatever you're feeling is only a product of an unstable personality, then those are some pretty shitty friends.  The thing with bipolar is that manic/depressive episodes are (at least for me) influenced by outside stimulus.  You're still reacting to social cues, thoughts, and the like, but if it sends you into a downswing, that just means you're having a symptom, and that downswing is as legitimate as anything else, including "normal" (I hate that word) thoughts and feelings.

I think Katie means borderline personality disorder, and not bipolar. BPD is the more common abbreviation for borderline, and BP for bipolar.

Personally, I think if you have a mental illness your feelings *aren't* normal - unless you're in remission, or between episode or whatever. Normal just isn't the right word here. The real issue is, are they valid - and feelings are always valid. If you're expressing anger appropriately, then you should never be dismissed as just disordered. That's degrading.

I think Katie means borderline personality disorder, and not bipolar. BPD is the more common abbreviation for borderline, and BP for bipolar.

Personally, I think if you have a mental illness your feelings *aren't* normal - unless you're in remission, or between episode or whatever. Normal just isn't the right word here. The real issue is, are they valid - and feelings are always valid. If you're expressing anger appropriately, then you should never be dismissed as just disordered. That's degrading.

Well now I feel silly.  I still agree with ya though.

Edited by ExtraSoap