CrazyBoards.org

Improve better without therapy?

I guess it's just for those who really need it......I was struggling all last year to keep up the pace with my therapist bless her heart.....The best therapist I will prolly ever have and the last.......The thing is I have always been on my own little island......Ever since I was 3 I did what I wanted........Does anyone here find therapy to benefit them or to just remind them over and over they have a MI which all of us want to forget. Not to get me wrong. Therapist are there to help. but, I had one they when I had pedophilia OCD a fear of molesting children. She would always ask me did I? and also cut the session short because I was so much in my head that I could stop obsessing until the theme changed into an even worse theme.....

There are times when psychotherapy can be very very helpful and there may be times when other kinds of therapy might be better.

Does your community MH center have a peer support center and/or supported employment? Those are also both shown to help improve functioning for people with serious/persistent mental illnesses.

I just see a med doc.....His own practice so i have to go with therapist outside his office....My last therapist came to my house twice a week and it was very comfortable because I didn't have to go in but, I feel social now....Like I have my spunk back and just trying to do the best I can with what I have like SSDI....Needing to budget as best as I can......

oh sonic.....of all the many people on CB I strongly believe that you need therapy

you need someone who is trained in OCD / CBT

it sounds like the former therapist who was trying to help with the shameful / painful OCD ruminations

well it sounds like she did not know how to help you

and there is a huge difference between OCD rumination

and someone who is actually a pedophile

they don't want treatment

sounds like she was out of her league

I agree that you should look into seeing a therapist who specializes in OCD. Just based on your posting here the last couple of years, it sounds like you could benefit from the right kind of therapy. The key is to find the right kind of therapy for you. I am biased towards CBT for OCD, but I have also benefited from ACT too, although I admit, I never had formal ACT therapy ... just a self-help book.

Well I don't deal with POCD anymore and my theme now is about the final judgment in the bible and as long as i just keep busy and not think about it, it doesn't bother me so why do I need a therapist.....In case in the future my theme may pop back up? I can see that....When I went to my sisters over the summer I got reminded of the thoughts but I was completely sure they where OCD......She has two little children.....I wasn't bothered by them at all, not to say I enjoyed them. Please don't confuse the two.....When OCD like Pure O OCD switches theme's there is residue of all theme's you go thru......OCDONLINE Dr. Phillipson Knows all to well about this disorder. And so do I........It just clicked one day......When My OCD theme switched to where I feared the final judgment in the bible would happen any second and that I was dead.......I started to do this and this is the compulsion....I would tell myself I see my friends, I see my car......I have flesh and bones.....When you answer the question your mind asks repeatedly. This is rumination......The compulsion is eternal not external so I just said fine. I'm dead. I have to live with it and accept it and go on.......Now meds have helped so much.....But you have to retrain your mind because you get caught in the ruminating compulsion and it's hard to notice that your doing it but once you notice what the problem is then you can work on fixing it.

I gave up on my first therapist because she just didn't understand and it made me feel very insecure about myself. My last therapist was fun and wanted me to get out and do things instead of staying in my room all day on the computer. I go places now...I do things. I get up early and push myself to live the life I have....It's my choice.......I understand why you would think I need a therapist and at some point in my life I may need one. But med management has helped me and me training myself to rethink and to do it in such a way that I benefit from it.....That's all I wanted you guys to understand.

I understand that, Sonic. I do. But the thing is that meds can suddenly stop working ("poop out"). A therapist can help you with the retraining your brain that you mentioned so that you don't need to rely solely on meds. I'm not saying that you have not made progress on meds because you have. I'm just saying that having a therapist on board can only be a plus.

But ... now I feel like a hypocrite because I'm not seeing a therapist at the present time. However, I don't see a therapist because I can't afford one right now. If I could, I would be doing CBT or ACT. I would go back to the therapist who helped me so much when I was in crisis.

Anyway, I'm glad that you are doing better, and I hope it continues for you.

Well I don't deal with POCD anymore and my theme now is about the final judgment in the bible and as long as i just keep busy and not think about it, it doesn't bother me so why do I need a therapist.....In case in the future my theme may pop back up? I can see that....When I went to my sisters over the summer I got reminded of the thoughts but I was completely sure they where OCD......She has two little children.....I wasn't bothered by them at all, not to say I enjoyed them. Please don't confuse the two.....When OCD like Pure O OCD switches theme's there is residue of all theme's you go thru......OCDONLINE Dr. Phillipson Knows all to well about this disorder. And so do I........It just clicked one day......When My OCD theme switched to where I feared the final judgment in the bible would happen any second and that I was dead.......I started to do this and this is the compulsion....I would tell myself I see my friends, I see my car......I have flesh and bones.....When you answer the question your mind asks repeatedly. This is rumination......The compulsion is eternal not external so I just said fine. I'm dead. I have to live with it and accept it and go on.......Now meds have helped so much.....But you have to retrain your mind because you get caught in the ruminating compulsion and it's hard to notice that your doing it but once you notice what the problem is then you can work on fixing it.

I gave up on my first therapist because she just didn't understand and it made me feel very insecure about myself. My last therapist was fun and wanted me to get out and do things instead of staying in my room all day on the computer. I go places now...I do things. I get up early and push myself to live the life I have....It's my choice.......I understand why you would think I need a therapist and at some point in my life I may need one. But med management has helped me and me training myself to rethink and to do it in such a way that I benefit from it.....That's all I wanted you guys to understand.

Does anyone here understand this technique? Because it is the only way to get out of the pipe dream that is PURE O OCD. The hardest form of OCD today.....In the 70's and 80's they didn't have a clue on how to help the poor people suffering from this......I'm glad we have just scratched the surface. One small leap for psychology. One giant leap for those who suffer MI.