CrazyBoards.org

Abusive Neighbor is giving me mega-anxiety

immerwhite

At the first of the year, I got new next-door neighbors (a couple) in my apartment building. This is a very quiet neighborhood with lots of elderly and retired people. I met the guy the first afternoon when I asked him to turn down his music. Now, everyday, throughout the day, I hear them arguing, yelling, and slamming things around. It's mostly him and he is super verbally abusive and almost certainly physically abusive to this girl who is nearly almost crying. I even did a little internet sleuthing and found out he has two prior arrests for battery and domestic violence.

I literally have no idea what to do. There are three problems:

1. The constant yelling is making me want to barf from anxiety 24/7.

2. I don't know who, if anyone, I should contact about this.

3. I am worried that if I do report this, he will cause more problems for me.

Pretty much the biggest thing that keeps my anxiety disorder in check is having a safe, quiet home to retreat into when I need it. This bullshit is seriously disrupting my homelife, plus I am worried for this girl.

Any tips?

I had neighbors that were almost exactly like that. Their constant fighting would frequently erupt into the breezeway and out into the parking lot. It was unbearable. I called the police on them once and another neighbor called a second time. Turns out they were also cooking meth in their apartment (with a small child living there), so thankfully they were automatically kicked out and hopefully sent to prison. 

My tips would be to either complain to your landlord and/or call in an anonymous tip or something the next time they're going at it (especially if he has two priors). You shouldn't have to put up with that. 

Edited by hagar running

I would call the landlord immediately, and I would mention to him/her that the guy has a record for domestic violence, so could he please keep your name out of it?  I agree with hagar that if the landlord doesn't do anything and the fighting continues, you should call the cops.  But I think a call to the landlord is the first step.

olga

Call the anonymous tip line. Call EVERY single time that you hear them yelling and that you think that there's a fight. Keep doing it.

Tell your landlord that you cannot live there while this is going on and that he either needs to intervene or you won't pay rent since it's basically unliveable. 

Do you know what school the girl goes to? If yes, tell her school. They cannot make a file that she's in an unsafe situation unless they see direct evidence. And they won't know to look for direct evidence unless they're told to look. Otherwise they'll brush it off as a bad day or whatnot. 

I had a problem neighbor, and I ended up calling the police on him after he threatened my life. I loved that apartment, but the neighbor was as abusive as they get. The police did NOTHING except talk to him.

Edit: He wasn't just verbally abusive. He smashed in our front door. Glass was everywhere.

Edited by jt07

With property damage the police should have filed charges, jt07, I'm sorry they didn't.

Call the tip line.  And then talk to the landlord:  "I hear yelling and screaming quite often and I've noticed the police out there on multiple occasions"-- you don't have to say that YOU called the police. 

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you can tip Social services and the police of, you can probably do this without giving your name, when i had very loud people living above me i contacted certain people because there were things they were doing that were illegal.

I also used to play them at their own game in the end and for every night they were having parties until 6am, i woke them up at 11am and then again at about 2pm making noise, the message soon got through and they moved out.

I feel for you, nightmare neighbours when you have anxiety is hellish. 

Edited by neptunesky