CrazyBoards.org

Do employment agencies guarantee fast job placement?

I have MI and I've been applying to jobs (any job now) everyday for the past year. My major is graphic design (but that field is very limited).

A therapist told me to try an employment agency, so I can avoid the special accommodation on the application form, according to the therapist. Do employment agencies guarantee fast, 100% job placement? Do I have to pay them?

i used to work at two very different employment agencies. some do require that they take a stipend out of your check as a fee of their service. some are free. you have to call around.

however, most agencies work on a temp to hire basis. which means you're actually employed by the agency for whatever period of time the company and agency agree on. NOTE: you may or may not have access to health benefits during this time. this is also very important to ask. this also means you may be paid lower when you are temp, and get paid higher when/if you go perm with the company and find out if they have benefits. 

also, do your homework. some specialize in day laborers, some in tech, some in administrative, some in a little of everything.

my advice is stick to larger ones that are well known in the area. they will have the best connections to companies. do you live in the US? i can give you some names to look up. 

Also, your prospective employer generally can't ask if you will need accomadations.

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/jobapplicant.html#potential

Discussing Accommodation to Perform the Job

15. May an employer ask applicants on an application form or during an interview whether they will need reasonable accommodation to perform the job?

Generally, no. An employer cannot ask all applicants whether they would need reasonable accommodation to perform a job because the answer to this question is likely to reveal whether an applicant has a disability.

However, if the employer knows that an applicant has a disability, and it is reasonable to question whether the disability might pose difficulties for the individual in performing a specific job task, then the employer may ask whether she would need reasonable accommodation to perform that task. An employer might know that an applicant has a disability because it is obvious or she has voluntarily revealed the existence of one. If the applicant indicates that accommodation will be necessary, then the employer may ask what accommodation is needed.

16. Do I have to tell the employer during the application process that I might need an accommodation to perform the job?

No. The ADA does not require that an applicant inform an employer about the need for a reasonable accommodation at any particular time, so this information need not be volunteered on an application form or in an interview.

Determining the best moment to tell a prospective employer about the need for reasonable accommodation on the job is a personal decision. Sometimes, applicants are not aware they may need a reasonable accommodation until they have more information about the job, its requirements, and the work environment. Some applicants choose to inform an employer during the application process after they better understand the job and its requirements. Others choose to wait until they have a job offer.

I wouldn't ever use an employment agency that I had to pay for.

Employment agencies get paid by employers to find qualified people. Asking the employee to also pay is unethical "double dipping" in my opinion.

There's no guarantee with employment agencies, though the broader your skillset, the easier it likely will be to get you into a position. Be flexible, be professional. Those things will help you get recommended for more positions.

Here employment agencies are run by the government so we pay for them on our taxes (you may live somewhere different than I do). They are free to use for people who are documented residents. 

I do know of some that guarantee a placement, but they have restrictions to entry (primarily based on age or another demographic). I think that all will keep working with you until you get a job, as you are guaranteed access to their services for two years (and then need to re-register, which is a breeze).

I looked into employment agencies once, when I first started looking for a job again after having been a stay-at-home mom for a few years.  The ones where you pay are not worth the time or the money. I paid for the privilege of being able to go into a room and look at job postings that were typed up on 3x5 cards, and hung on a wooden board.  Crappy jobs, because that the kind of employer you get when those employers aren't willing to pay to find quality people.  Seriously not worth it.

I ended up finding a job through Monster (or that other one that starts with a C?).  Anyway, the company I worked for used employment agencies to get some of their clerical workers, and the company paid for the cost.  Much more professional route, in my opinion, and they got a higher quality of worker, because the employment agency did pre-screening.   You will need to be prepared for that.

• 4 months later...

I have MI and I've been applying to jobs (any job now) everyday for the past year. My major is graphic design (but that field is very limited).

A therapist told me to try an employment agency, so I can avoid the special accommodation on the application form, according to the therapist. Do employment agencies guarantee fast, 100% job placement? Do I have to pay them?

Assuming you're in the U.S., the answer is "no." I don't know what your therapist means by "avoiding the special accommodation on the application form," either. My experience with employment agencies is that they may increase your chances of finding a job, but they by no means guarantee fast job placement. I was waiting on one for over a year to call me about a job; by the time they called, I had been working at a job I found on my own for a few weeks.