CrazyBoards.org

does anyone with visual disturbances have intermittent central vision holes

Hi, I get frequent attacks every day where I lose parts of my vision.  The lost part of vision will return usually after just 1 or 2 seconds.  It is like a black hole, or multiple black holes, in my vision where there is no vision at all.  This problem occurs a countless number of times every day.  I still seem to see OK. Usually the black holes are right near the centre of vision but can expand out during a bad attack.

I am not really that concerned about this problem, and yes I have been to see eye docs recently, though I never mentioned this to them.  I just wonder if anyone else has this problem. 

Two things come to mind:  First, a visit to a neurologist may be in order, as the problem could be related not to your eyes themselves, but rather to your optic nerve or the visual processing centers in the brain.  Second, macular degeneration can cause loss of central vision, and it's very important that you make your eye doctor aware of these symptoms.  Let us know how you progress.

There's something called 'floaters' where the cells in your eye cast shadows on your retina. They can be longer-lasting, or intermittent. If they suddenly increase then your retina could be torn and that is a medical emergency!

You should tell your eye doctor if only so that you can learn how likely you are to have your retina detach. That can lead to blindness in a hurry, so it's worth talking about.

WinterRosie, definitely not floaters, I have literally thousands of those, so am unfortunately too familiar with them. 

My problem is like someone opened a picture of your vision and erased part of it leaving only pure blackness in it's place

The National Eye Institute offers a page of simulations of how an image might look to a person with various eye disorders.  You might check it out to see if anything resembles your symptoms.  You don't mention whether you're diabetic; Diabetic Retinopathy might produce symptoms similar to yours.  In any case, I would encourage you to schedule an appointment with your eye doctor as soon as possible and fully describe what you're experiencing.

Thanks Cerberus, I don't have diabetes but my problem looks much like the diabetic retinopathy picture only the black areas are usually very small not like the huge blobs in that picture.

I am so down about this as I have been seeing eye docs semi regularly for other reasons and they either treat me like a piece of shit and a time waster or an idiot or tell me to fuck off and this is even before I have even mentioned this strange thing to them.   I had hoped there were others here who had similar problems due to mental illness, I have other weird visuals and sometimes visual hallucinations so assumed they were that too.  Last time I went to the eye doc he treated me like an idiot and very begrudgingly ordered an MRI of orbits and head (I didn't ask for an MRI just insisted there was something else wrong with my eyes for reasons unrelated to this vision loss).  The MRI came back with nothing so if I go back and complain about this I will just get laughed at (its a small city nowhere else to go).  I don't really know what good it would do going to a neurologist as they just order MRIs anyway (patients only go to them here because it is the only way to get an MRI without paying fully privately) and the wait list for the neuro is 12 months.  I've already had dilated eye exams, eye pressure test and visual field tests.  I just want to crawl up and die because I can't get health care because doctors just treat me like a hypochondriac idiot, even though I know if they had this weird vision loss let alone my other eye problems they would run to an ER wanting every test in the sun within 24 hours and I have had it for years (never used to be this bad though).  It's just so unfair I feel I am being denied care due to mental illness/hypochondriac label as well as just pure inability to assert myself and speak confidently (doctors freak me out and I either say nothing and get stood all over or sometimes get mad and frustrated and blurt things out which make them shout at me)

Edited by eee123

eee123 -

One thing you might consider is making a "simulation" of your own to take to the eye doctor next time you go.  Simply print two copies of any photograph, then use a pencil or pen to mark up one of them to show the blotches, spots, etc. that you see when you look at it.  Take both when you go so the eye doctor can see the comparison.

There are other techniques neurologists can use besides MRIs, including things like electroencephelolography.  The fact that you got a clean MRI is probably a good sign from a neurological perspective, but I have vision problems related to nerve and brain issues that don't register on an MRI.

Vision loss is not something to be minimized, and if you feel that you have trouble advocating for yourself in situations with health care providers, you might think about taking some assertive family member or friend with you the next time you go who is more comfortable setting a doctor straight.

Psychoactive medications can cause visual side effects, and I'm just educated-guessing with these other suggestions.  I've had wonky vision since the 8th grade, so I sympathize.

I have the EXACT same thing. You describe them perfectly (visual black holes that exist for a few seconds). I describe them as like the temporary blind spots from a camera flash, just not as long in duration and doesn't have any color to it.

I've had this going on for probably 3+ years and it hasn't progressed at all. Haven't had any eye exams. I figured they are visual aura like things from a non-headache migraine. I know during a migraine headache I get one big blotch in my vision that looks EXACTLY like a large version of the small ones.

Hi Apokalypz, thanks for your reply just wondering a few things as I haven't found any one else that could really relate to my problem like you have.  Do your black holes occur a countless amount of times each day?  Mine do.  My black hole attacks are also often induced by looking at certain things, or doing certain things, or being in certain places, worst example is one particular place in my house where if I go look at it I usually get a whole bunch of black holes much worse than anywhere else, seems weird.  I don't have migraines and also know that my black hole attacks can get much worse right after I wake up (where I can also get visual hallucinations).

They don't appear all the time, or at least they're not noticeable all the time. Most of the time I notice probably 5 per day tops. Though if I sit there and try to see them it would probably be a lot more.

Funny, I get my visual hallucinations usually after being up for a few hours (8+ hours), and very rarely right after waking up. I haven't noticed any correlation between the holes and hallucinations, but I do sometimes initially mistake the holes for a bug hallucination until I move my eyes and the hole follows (hallucinations don't).

I figure, if there's enough wrong with my brain to hallucinate etc, then occasionally seeing small blind spots popping up from nowhere shouldn't be a problem.