CrazyBoards.org

If depakote worsens depression, will it ever get better?

I have been on a full dose (1000mg) of Depakote for about a week now after switching off of Trileptal which worked well for me for about two and a half years (but then stopped working and started in on making me physically ill constantly). I've seen a severe worsening in my depression (which was already bad enough, alternating with mixed episodes, that I was on temporary disability due to being unable to work). 

Could this just be that the Depakote hasn't really kicked in yet, and I'm happening to have a bad depressive episode? If it's the Depakote worsening the effects, is there any chance that if I keep at it eventually it will make the depression better instead of worse?

I am Bipolar I, currently taking Depakote, Abilify, Xanax on occasion. I've been on the Abilify a long time, and take the Xanax currently almost every day, but on average when stable about once a month.

-L

Depakote did indeed make my depression worse. I can't say whether it will get better because I lasted only a month on it mainly due to the depression and the fact that I wanted to eat anything that wasn't nailed down.

If Trileptal worked for you I'm wondering why your doctor didn't try you on Tegretol which is Trileptal's older brother yet is a distinct med. Tegretol works wonders for me.

i'm also on depakote, it's called depakine in my country though i know there are differences of valproic acid depending on label. It helps me with anxiety and agitation, but can't say it does anything for depression, i barelly get up in the morning and became obese

I've been recently prescribed Depakote and aside from feeling drunk I have found my mood drastically improve. I feel calm and stable. I do take Celexa for depression and dare I say I felt happy today. So depakote has helped me keep my mood in check so that has helped with my depression.

I would say it is one of 3 things: One, it isn't working yet, so it is as if you were on no mood stabilzer, and you need to wait; two, that it just isn't going to work for you, but *it* is not necessarily what is making your depression worse; or three, it *is* making your depression worse.

One week is not a very long time to be on an AC, as you know. I would really want to discuss this with my pdoc. Maybe yours can differentiate among the three, but s/he should at least know that you are getting more depressed, whatever the reason. If you have plummeted this week, I would call tomorrow. Actually, I would call tomorrow whatever the case.

I love Depakote, at least what it does for my brain.  However, I found that I had to lower my dose from 1500 and 1000mg so it didn't make me flat and depressed. 

In terms of weight, I gained a lot on it very quickly, but I've lost all but 20 pounds of that this year.  The last 20 has been really hard to take off.  I really don't want to fuck with my meds, however, so I'm working on the weight from both the fitness and diet angles.

Anyway, I don't think it necessarily has to make depression worse, and it's great for mood stabilization, anxiety, and agitation so it's sometimes worth it.

I think I started at 500 and then went to 750mgs. I know at 750 I thought I was going to lose my head and I remember talking about it somewhere here on cb. When I went up to 1000 things evened out for me.

I've been under a tremendous amount of stress.I don't know how to handle my situational shit, idk if its my pms, it could be many things. A couple of days ago my pdoc increased it to 1250 mgs. Im hoping this will help.

For me its difficult to know if Im more depressed than manic so I'll say what I'm going through feels very mixed but I have no idea what my pdoc wrote on the chart.

db