CrazyBoards.org

NYC cops & firemen indicted for SSDI fraud

I know how many of you have struggled to get approved for Disability payments, and this story just really pissed me off.  Faking PTSD and other psychiatric conditions is the lowest of the low.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/justice/new-york-ptsd-9-11-scam/

I don't have a whole lot of respect for police, and this just makes it worse.

olga

I find the allegations of coaching and deliberate manipulation of the system pretty abhorrent. 

However, I am troubled by the implication of the article that it isn't possible to be truly, legitimately disabled and to also have moments where you can enjoy moments with your family. What if I went to a social gathering when I was on SSDI and my picture was taken? Does that mean that I don't have pervasive anxiety and unstable moods? 

Being on disability, I was incapable of holding a full time job. That is undeniable. But I was capable of scraping myself together and going to the lake for a weekend. I could get out of the house once or twice a week. There were times where I couldn't get out of bed, times where I couldn't feed myself, times where dragging myself to treatment was all I could manage...but receiving benefits for psychiatric impairment doesn't justify any layperson deciding, in place of these men's doctors, that they are not REALLY disabled because they could ride a jet ski or go fishing. I am concerned that this type of scrutiny and public outrage is reinforcing stigma. 

I find the allegations of coaching and deliberate manipulation of the system pretty abhorrent. 

However, I am troubled by the implication of the article that it isn't possible to be truly, legitimately disabled and to also have moments where you can enjoy moments with your family. What if I went to a social gathering when I was on SSDI and my picture was taken? Does that mean that I don't have pervasive anxiety and unstable moods? 

Being on disability, I was incapable of holding a full time job. That is undeniable. But I was capable of scraping myself together and going to the lake for a weekend. I could get out of the house once or twice a week. There were times where I couldn't get out of bed, times where I couldn't feed myself, times where dragging myself to treatment was all I could manage...but receiving benefits for psychiatric impairment doesn't justify any layperson deciding, in place of these men's doctors, that they are not REALLY disabled because they could ride a jet ski or go fishing. I am concerned that this type of scrutiny and public outrage is reinforcing stigma. 

This is a really good point.  I am unable to work, but can have a smile on my face a lot ... which doesn't mean I don't truly need SSDI; just because I get SSDI doesn't mean I have to stay home and unhappy and symptomatic every day.

lark, here, the workplace disability people (it's called WSIB here) are known to have agents that will "stalk" claimants if they're suspected of fraud - and for that reason. They track whether you can get out of the house every day as opposed to a few times weekly. They track whether you're the star of all of the happy-fun-times vacation photos, or whether you just showed up. That sort of thing. And this is because it IS a very fine line between able and disabled.

Definitely a good point, and I do agree about the stigmatizing subtext of the CNN article, but I would really hope (naively perhaps?) that they wouldn't be able to get an indictment on something like this from just the information in the court records that were mentioned in the article. If their whole case is based on these pictures, well, that is shitty, but I can't imagine that's all they have. Maybe my distaste for public sector corruption is blinding me here, though. 

The highest you can get is 2900/mo. My husband was earning 6 figures when he became disabled, and had been working at that salary for just under a decade. And then add my paltry amount, and we have a reasonable income. At least in SLC.

Oh, I cannot remember if this is true for sure, but they might have just given us a COLA. I pay almost no attention to finances, other than asking if I can buy something costly. But I think he said that we were getting one. And paying for Obamacare (DH) and Medicare (Moi) is much less than our COBRA payments, which ended Dec 31. Talk about cutting a fine line, we both went on our prospective plans Jan 1.

I do think that people can have good days on PTSD. When I had it, and was leading a contingent in the GLBT parade, there were a lot of smiles on my face, and there are pictures to prove it.