CrazyBoards.org

2 months of this crap

Hi,

Pretty sure I am suffering from a dissociative disorder, all the symptoms check out anyway. Im actually getting pissed off at this stage, I know what it is but it just wont go away even with my counselling and prozac 40mg.

I feel like a senile 70 year old man the past 2 months, floating around forgetting every little thing and not able to get through process straight, freaking out at my own sanity :/

Also feeling physically numb, is this normal ? My pain threshold has been increased, not to the point of fully numb but I could hold a pinch on my arm and it wouldnt bother me unlike the previous 26 years of my life lol 

What has yeilded the best results in reducing the intensity of this feeling? xanax ?

Appreciate any help given :)

• 3 weeks later...

No I haven't being diagnosed but getting a referral to a physciatrist. 

Apologies for the rage of a post lol don't even remember making it to be honest. 

The 40mg prozac have gotten rid of my anxiety attacks, but my thought process is still not right.

Even thinking about my days work today, it feels like when i try to remember it, it happened last week, not just a few hours previous , and cant replay it in my head, I can only state it logically. Does that sound familiar ? :( 

• 3 weeks later...

The chaos is familiar but there are so many disorders that have those symptoms in common. I mean, even a depressive episode can cause confusion, forgetfulness, indecision, disorganization, shifting emotions, anxiety, blunted affect which can seem like a distancing from feelings similar to dissociation. Plus, not everyone feels sad during a depressive episode like many people think. Sometimes it may be expeirienced more as fatigue. You said you have felt this for the last two months right? Typically Dissociative Disorders are chronic and Depressive episodes are more likely to come on suddenly. There are always exceptions though because no one can really be boxed perfectly into a diagnostic category with no strings hanging out so to speak. The categories are there more so as a guideline for professionals rather than a shape to try to squeeze you into. To make matters more confusing, Dissociative people are often depressed and depressed people may cope with the depression through dissociation. Therefore, I think it is really important that you get a formal diagnosis. I know it is hard not to try to figure it out on your own when you want answers so badly, but these disorders are so complex that one could get very lost on that quest for answers. Also, by the way, depressive episodes often cause that physical numbing too. My ex has severe bipolar disorder and during depressive episode will lose touch with sensation so badly that an arm in ice will go unnoticed. Medication is not so effective on Dissociation. Depressive episodes are usually biochemical in nature and can respond well to medication. However, dissociation is thought to be largely caused by trauma which cannot be fixed with a pill, although meds may help with some symptoms like anxiety and such. Anyway, I wish you luck in receiving a true diagnosis as well as treatment. I hope this was of some help to you. Feel free to ask any further questions you may have.

I dissociate briefly sometimes when I am anxious, but it's not a dissociative disorder. How long have you been on the prozac?  Do you think that could be affecting you at all?  I get emotionally numb sometimes, maybe physically too, I never thought of that.  When  I dissociate it is like when  you go on auto-pilot and drive home but don't remember the trip.  It startles me when it stops and I realize everything is real.  I make sure I know who and where I am, but I always do and i don't go anywhere.

Hopefully when you describe it to a pdoc he will be able to help.  It helps me to use my own words. I told my pdoc I "space out", my husband says sometimes i actually stare into space.  The pdoc told me it was a form of dissociation.  Since mine is related to anxiety, anything i can do to reduce anxiety helps reduce it from happening..

@broken - thanks very much for that response you made some valid points that will stop me obsessing so much :)

@confused - 5 years on 20mg , raised to 40mg now. Yeah , it's scary when you arrive somewhere and it's like you have just been transported there instantly :S the human brain is capable of amazing things , but this .. This crap !

How's your hunt for a care provider going?

It is possible to learn how to cope with dissociation. Things like mindfulness and physical activity can help. It can be treated, and it need not be permanent. I hope that you can find people to help you cope.