CrazyBoards.org

Depakote appetite increase

How do you combat the increase of appetite? I have not gained weight but am afraid if I don't get my appetite under control I will.

I got a dog that take for walks several times a day and don't eat horrid. I just find my self hungry only after just eating all the time.

I wish I had an answer for you. I really do. I didn't last long on Depakote due to this very issue. I now take Tegretol (carbamazepine) which is much more weight friendly but perhaps not as effective for bipolar. (I'm not bipolar.)

Wish I had an answer too.  I had the appetite thing but I was too busy trying not to fall over my own two feet, not to slur like I was drunk, trying to sleep with my ears booming, trying to not forget what I was saying right in the middle of a sentence, etc.  

I only took it about 3 weeks.  They took me off of it because of my ears.  I couldn't sleep or hear very good because of the constant booming and apparently you can go deaf while taking depakote. I was in the middle of a manic and they just told me to not take it and here's some lithium.  I started at a pretty big dose because I was really really not well.  I was glad to be able to sleep again but missed the calming of the depakote.  Did not miss the other affects either.  Just after 3 weeks at 1000mg a day, it took weeks to recover my balance.  Likely because my ears were screwed up for months.  I still am having issues with gunk.  I had a double ear infection a month ago and I haven't had one of those in 20 years.  Hopefully it will go away eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on Depakote 1500mg in addition to Zyprexa 20mg. I had a lot of hunger at first, but this has subsided quite substantially. I am gaining weight, but it is a struggle because I have never felt better. I walk a lot, but I do not know what else to do to combat the weight gain. I am gaining weight by the way, not sure if that is subsiding along with my appetite. Weight gain was more rapid at first though.