CrazyBoards.org

Well i have been compliant on my meds now for some time but they have not found an anti psychotic that works best for me with minimal side effects

sereqol - made me suicidal

Largactil - provoked my bleeding gums due to other dental problems

Risperidone - way too strong made me unable to function all day

Paliperidone - caused sexual dysfunction and heat intolerance

So it looks like i am been sent back into hospital until they can work out a new medication for me.

My main symptoms seem to be Aggression with property damage as well as delusional thinking.

I wish they would fix me already :(

I've been on the phone all day trying to get help from local doctors and local hospitals as well as my pdoc in perth but have had no luck as locally nobody can help me and my pdoc in perth hasnt returned my call.

it's looking like police may soon take me away involuntry.

What other meds out there might help me guys in the way of anti psychotics so i can bring it up with my doctor?

If they do, would you consider going voluntarily? ... by going involuntary you don't have much say over anything.

If they do, would you consider going voluntarily? ... by going involuntary you don't have much say over anything.

I just went in and asked to go as a voluntary patient for a medication change and got refused help from the hospital, because my PDOC is private nobody here can help me for a medication change.

So it looks like i am off anti psychotics for another 20 days until i see my PDOC 

It's been so hard for me to even accept and try to get help let alone not been able to get it, i dont know what to do

Edited by Puddles2009

I have some questions:

1. Why are you off antipsychotics for 20 days? Can't you continue on your present AP until then?

2. Why do you need to go into the hospital to do an medication change?

I really think that if your symptoms are "aggression with property damage as well as delusional thinking", you should stay on your antipsychotic until you see your pdoc. I get that the side effects are crappy, but it's only 20 days. And any new med will come with its own set of side effects.

Keep trying to contact your psychiatrist. Call over and over until someone understands the seriousness of the situation. I have zero knowledge of the Australian mental health care system, but I find it really shitty that hospitals are turning you away when you're in such dire straits.

I agree with jt. If you are aggressively vandalizing/destroying someone else's property, it's almost certain you'll be arrested and hospitalized involuntarily. Or worse. If your current AP is helping AT ALL, I would definitely keep taking it until I could get a hold of my psychiatrist, if I were in your shoes. If the side effects aren't life-threatening or completely unbearable (I'm thinking the suicidal thoughts you mentioned from seroquel, or like akathisia or something).If you're still being treated with risperidone or Invega, I would definitely keep taking them until you can see someone- sexual dysfunction and not being able to function all day are horrible, but are they worse than the possible alternative ways this scenario could play out?

I think that you're mischaracterizing things again. Which is either intentional (like when you didn't mention the glass-eating) or not (because health systems are confusing and difficult to navigate at the best of times, and symptomatic MI is not the best of times).

Get an advocate, be it your wife, your parents, your GP, a friend, and get them to help you. Things aren't making sense right now, and you need someone who can help you make sense of things.

My wife is now contacting my PDOC for me and i am on my old Antipsychotic until i get a med change over wich due to my violent history will be done in hospital. My wife is trying her hardest but for the last 4 days out of 27 calls nobody has returned her calls for my help.

I've gone to the emergency here and been refused because i went private wich is really bad

I'm staying on current meds until i can get a changeover so i am at least stable but in the meantime it's really bad that nobody is helping me when i am  really trying to get help

This is what led to my downhill spiral last time 

EDIT i must add that my wife if she gets in contact with the PDOC tomorrow they will treat me locally under his orders

Edited by Puddles2009

I'm glad that you are staying on the meds. I'm sorry that you can't get help. That really is crappy. Here's hoping the pdoc returns the phone calls.

I'm glad that you are staying on the meds. I'm sorry that you can't get help. That really is crappy. Here's hoping the pdoc returns the phone calls.

I've still got no return phone calls from anyone yet, it costs me $250 in fuel each visiti as well as $350 for every consultation just to see him, it's sent me broke.

I tried doing it online but to do it via the internet he wants an extra $150!!! so basically i have to deal with really crappy side effects for another 20 days

Nobody locally will help me any more because i went private in the city so i'm basically sitting here suffering. If it continues i can see myself rebounding again and ending up involuntary very fast

If it's so expensive for you why not try the public system? I know it's crappy, but it exists for you too. And minimal care is better than no care at all.

And fwiw I'm a part of the commonwealth and write "colour" with a "u" so yes. I know that private can seem quite nicer. But you don't seem to be getting your money's worth and you deserve to be treated.

The public system will no longer take me here because i went private.

Basically the public system said i am only DX borderline personality disorder and they refused to put me on meds

I went private they DX me schioaffective disorderand put me on meds and i got stable and got into hospital involuntry.

Now i cant afford the private PDOC and his not returning my calls i am no longer get my moneys worth so i am trying to go Public again and they are refusing to take me now

What do they need from you to accept you again?

Doctors refferal from my PDOC or my GP, i've been booked in for emergency appointments.

I'm sorry to hear you are struggling so much. :(

I second the mention of going in voluntarily. Always go voluntary. Involuntary they can mandate all sorts of things and you will have no say. Even if you are in a rage or whatever, when they haul you off, say you'll go voluntary.

I am shocked they can turn you away because you went private. I am also shocked that your private pdoc didn't leave a stand-in to be on call. Surely they are obliged to do this?

An AP you could try is Geodon. For me, it worked fine with almost no side-effects (I got anhedonia but that is much less of a problem than being actively symptomatic.)

Ok FINALLY managed to get a hold of my PDOC his sent me a script direct to the local chemist for OLANZAPINE so i can get started on it tonight ASAP, since i can no longer afford to go to the city 1000km round trip $250 fuel $350 perr appointment his made arrangements for me to see the local PDOC

It's a public health system but the good news is his already given me a DX and his sent all his referal notes onwards so the local PDOC will be treating my for my current DX not changing my DX and meds wich is really good news!!

I am seeing a new PDOC that has come to town so i hope things work out well, i am also seeing a new GP as well so hopefully his nice also. It's just sad that everything is changing so much in one hit, it's a lot to take in especially in my current condition.

My PDOC is really sad i can no longer see him as he knows just how bad the current mental health system here is. I'm going to go in with a positive note anyway and hope for the best it's all i can do. 

And hopefully i start my new meds tonight

i'm going to do a google on olanzapine tonight and hopefully it doesn't give me manyu side effects only time will tell i guess but at least i'm  getting somewhere slowly at that

Edited by Puddles2009

You gotta be kidding me.... just googled and it turns out Olanzapine is known to be one of the worst for weight gain... GRR i just put off the weight gain from INVEGA pls tell me this aint true

Olanzapine is notorious for weight gain, yes. Sorry. But it may not happen to you. If it does, you might need to institute dietary control measures. Banish the carbs from your house and, if you can, get exercise.

It is supposedly a potent AP, that is the go-to for acute symptoms.

Give it a go for a couple of weeks and then see.

Good Luck.

Ok FINALLY managed to get a hold of my PDOC his sent me a script direct to the local chemist for OLANZAPINE so i can get started on it tonight ASAP, since i can no longer afford to go to the city 1000km round trip $250 fuel $350 perr appointment his made arrangements for me to see the local PDOC

It's a public health system but the good news is his already given me a DX and his sent all his referal notes onwards so the local PDOC will be treating my for my current DX not changing my DX and meds wich is really good news!!

I am seeing a new PDOC that has come to town so i hope things work out well, i am also seeing a new GP as well so hopefully his nice also. It's just sad that everything is changing so much in one hit, it's a lot to take in especially in my current condition.

My PDOC is really sad i can no longer see him as he knows just how bad the current mental health system here is. I'm going to go in with a positive note anyway and hope for the best it's all i can do. 

And hopefully i start my new meds tonight

i'm going to do a google on olanzapine tonight and hopefully it doesn't give me manyu side effects only time will tell i guess but at least i'm  getting somewhere slowly at that

I am really glad things are starting to work out for you.  It's been rough for awhile.  Going in on a positive note I think will help a lot too.  It does suck everything is changing at once, but maybe you could think of it as a "clean slate," (except for the diagnosis), meaning the new DRs might have new ideas that will help you better.

Olanzapine is notorious for weight gain, yes. Sorry. But it may not happen to you. If it does, you might need to institute dietary control measures. Banish the carbs from your house and, if you can, get exercise.

It is supposedly a potent AP, that is the go-to for acute symptoms.

Give it a go for a couple of weeks and then see.

Good Luck.

They say not everyone gets those side effects so who knows maybe it will agree with me. I mean after all some people get many side effects of EPILIM but it agrees with me really well

Unfortunatly exercise didn't help me last time for weight gain only XENICAL did and now i am off it i guess i will just need to keep an eye on my weight. i am unsure of the dose he has started me on too or if this med will even work for me

It sucks this should be done in hospital

i am unsure of the dose he has started me on too or if this med will even work for me

I'd give it a good 6-8 weeks to see how it works for you.  It takes awhile for blood levels to even out.