CrazyBoards.org

Hypomania or happiness?

For the past week I´ve been feeling -very well-, I feel happy, calm, I am able to laugh, concentrate, relate to others. Actually I hadn´t felt this sense of happiness in a long time.

I am wondering is this hypomania? or it is actually HAPPINESS and WELLNESS?....From what I´ve read from your posts, mania is not always good, since people tend to spend money, have racing thoughts, go from one task to the other, experience irritability. What I am feeling now, is different, it is just feeling good.

I always wondered why I was diagnosed as having bipolar if I had never experienced mania in the way others described it.

Does this happen to you???

Does this feeling of happiness means that I am going to crash to depression later on?

Is this happiness or hypomania?

Does hypomania include feeling happy?

Edited by CookieN

I've only felt happy for very brief periods of time - less than an entire day. I've had moments of clarity and 'happiness' but they were very short-lived. Do you feel like you're feeling normally happy, or do you have racing thoughts as well? If you're able to relate to others and feel calm, I think that's a very positive sign.

When I started on Saphris I thought I was becoming hypomanic, but eventually I just realized I was returning to what life was like before my first episode - some ups, some downs, but a baseline that was happier and healthier than I'd had in years.

Personally, I don't feel "calm" when I'm hypomanic (and certainly not when I'm manic), and I can't really concentrate on one thing at a time for any extended duration. And it's not so much of a happy, content feeling for me, but an elated, euphoric one. There is a big difference. But I don't think any of us can tell you what it is you're experiencing. 

^^^ that. If I can't sit still or shake, and have the euphoria, it's hypomania. But fot the longest time, I guess until I started Seroquel I didn't realize what happy was. For me happy means that I don't even think about my BP because it's not affecting my day.

I think the difference between happy and hypo for me is being very excited for an extended period of time. Like I can be well-adjusted happy and do the girl thing and squeek and chatter at a happy reunion for example, but then settle down after a few minutes and be calm. If I'm hypo, I believe that excited thing just doesn't stop, it keeps going and going. But the ability to be calm should be a good sign I would think.

Happiness and hypomania are very difficult to determine from eachother.

The difference can be noticed by friends or family. Happiness normally doesn't look suspicious for friends/family.

Also happiness you can't feel it days and days or hours and hours. Happiness can be a feeling from hour A to hour B and then you feel normal. But if you're hypomanic the feeling doesn't stop it just continuous.  

Wj74: You are lucky there are moments in which you are so well you don´t think about BP

It's not so much luck, as it is the right meds, or the right dose. I'm talking about a day here and there that I'm not trying to keep it in check. I have only gotten in this place because of Seroquel.