CrazyBoards.org

How long does klonopin stay active in my body?

Hey guys. I take klonopin in the AM and at bedtime. I take seroquel for anxiety in the afternoon around 3. I get pretty anxious late afternoon and evening usually. It's becoming too much for me to deal with. I don't want to be tired during the day, but I also don't want to spend the afternoon and evening in bed due to being too anxious and overwhelmed about any little thing and everything at once.

Do I need an afternoon klonopin? But I'm afraid to ask my pdoc because he is trying very hard to take me off a lot of my meds.

Klonopin is one of the longer-acting benzos so in theory, it should stay in your body from morning until bedtime and then overnight.  However, I found that after I  was on it for a while that was not always the case.   Very similar to what you're experiencing.  

I initially took it like you do now - - a.m. and p.m. 

Even  though everything I read said the medication SHOULD last all day,  I would get anxious and nervous during the late afternoon.  So my pdoc added a dose at that time (afternoon).  

Once I got used to it (a few months) it no longer made me very tired, and I got up to a pretty high dose (total 4 mgs. per day).   I was on it for a long time (ten years), most of that time I took it 3 times per day.       I think it is worth a discussion with your pdoc.  I know what it is like to feel really anxious  --  no fun at all!  

I am no longer on it, but it was helpful when I was taking it!  

Edited by FlamelessCandle