CrazyBoards.org

Broken dream of having a beach weekend during the winter :[

I really want to go to Ocean City (or some other close beach) and stay for the weekend, even though it’s winter. It sounds crazy, but I would LOVE it. No one else around to distract from the beautiful waves crashing in, the sunsets…There’s just something about the beach in winter that allows one to escape and think.

But I KNOW my husband won’t want to go. And he will make up some excuse. He will say it's because he doesn't want to spend money. "But what if I pay?" "No...I'm tired. I also hate fun with a passion."  :wall:

I married him because I thought we would have all kinds of fun adventures and have the time of our lives together. But instead his mission is to constantly disappoint me and insult what I like to do. The beach in winter is “STUPID” and hiking in a gorgeous park with mountains and waterfalls is “BORING”.

I don’t know how much more of this I can take. Life is short and I want to LIVE it, not thinking about it and wishing that I could live it. I'm seriously considering going alone since I unfortunately don't have any friends in Maryland *yet*. Recently I've been feeling so much better (barely any depressive episodes or anxiety) and I really just want to do something I would love to do for a tiny while....

Who would accompany me to my silly cold, winter, possibly snowy & blustery beach weekend if you could?

Starbucks on the boardwalk is a given. :)

I would totally be down! I love any beach any time of the year in any weather.

Personally, I've found traveling alone to be one of the most freeing experiences I've ever had. There is this anonymity when you're alone in a strange place that I find thrilling and emboldening. I went to Mexico alone a couple years back, and it was honestly one of the best times of my entire life.

I have a significant other and it's the same. I need to go-go-go and he needs to stay at home and nap more. I know of other relationships where, even if MI isn't a factor, those different interests and energy levels are too. As a result I tend to travel as though I were single - with friends, with my sister, or by myself. 

Do you have a friend that can go with you? Can you go by yourself? He shouldn't have ultimate control over what you do, just as you don't have ultimate control over whether he goes with you or not.

a trip to the beach sounds great every month of the year

maybe you should go alone, take a book or your kindle

eat seafood

walk on the beach

sleep

he might miss you

traveling - a weekend trip of a vacation someplace lovely has been a joy in our marriage, very important part of our happiness

we have also traveled with our kids, with my mother and my family

I am sorry your husband wants to stay glued to the couch - it is a beautiful world out there

Personally, I've found traveling alone to be one of the most freeing experiences I've ever had. There is this anonymity when you're alone in a strange place that I find thrilling and emboldening. I went to Mexico alone a couple years back, and it was honestly one of the best times of my entire life.

haha let's go!

And that's really cool :) what all did you do in Mexico??

I love the anonymity feeling too. I feel it just because I live in the DC area where there are soooo many people that it is highly unlikely that I will run into anyone I know. And I'm about a million miles away from my hometown and the people I used to know. 

I'm finally at a point where I have enough self confidence to do more things by myself...I'm tired of waiting for people. The only thing I'd be worried about would be my safety cause Ocean City is a three hour drive and I've never been there before. Maybe I watch too many murder shows haha

WinterRosie that is exactly us. Except he does go on trips with me usually. It's been the last few months where he refuses to do most anything.:/

I don't have a friend I could take with me. But I am considering going by myself especially since it's something really important to me

Aw. If it's important to you then you should go! I would imagine something you would look forward to so much would make you happy! 

I'd totally go! I want this every winter, haha. Lack of funds, psh.

I only traveled by myself for little over half a day before meeting up with people ONCE. Heh. I loved wandering around airports and shit by myself even. I'd never been totally on my own like that (I don't even drive and never have) so I loved every moment of it, even though it was stupid, haha. I thought I'd hate it because I had social anxiety and a huge fear of getting lost.

Turns out, people are nice and will give you directions! WHO'D HAVE THOUGHT? Being alone for half a day was awesome. I didn't even want that to end. So I would LOVE a few days by myself somewhere cool like that! Dumb example I had, I know. 

I just think if you can do it and you think it would make you happy, you should do it.

Sorry about the situation with your husband. That sounds frustrating. I hope you guys can figure that out.

haha let's go!

And that's really cool :) what all did you do in Mexico??

I love the anonymity feeling too. I feel it just because I live in the DC area where there are soooo many people that it is highly unlikely that I will run into anyone I know. And I'm about a million miles away from my hometown and the people I used to know. 

I'm finally at a point where I have enough self confidence to do more things by myself...I'm tired of waiting for people. The only thing I'd be worried about would be my safety cause Ocean City is a three hour drive and I've never been there before. Maybe I watch too many murder shows haha

I explored as much as I could! I toured some amazing Mayan ruins in Yucatán, zip-lined in the jungle, and wandered around Mérida for days. I meet some really cool locals who were kind enough to temporarily adopt a gringo into their circle of friends for a while, and also got me really, really fucked up on all kinds of neat things. Looking back, I'm 100% sure I was hypomanic prior to and during the trip (because being super social like that is kind of the opposite of how I am currently). But traveling alone sort of forces me out of my comfort zones, which is a good thing. I love the idea that I can be anyone I choose when no one within thousands of miles knows who I am, and I really enjoyed the feeling of being a foreigner. I would probably be a lot more cautious and a lot less disinhibited if I were alone in a country where I didn't speak the predominant language, though. 

Actually, I was supposed to go on that trip with my ex, but he backed out at the last minute and I just said fuck it and went anyway. I'm so, so glad I did. 

Strangely, I didn't worry for my safety at all (even though it was, y'know, Mexico). Which is probably another indicator that I was feeling grandiose.