CrazyBoards.org

I'm scared of the gym

Not sure if you read my blog. But a well meaning old friend has been surprisingly impressed with my rapid and 'healthy' weightloss. It wasn't healthy at all. Now she thinks that I'm fit and into nutrition and got me a month gym membership thing so I would go with her so I could help. Without asking me. I know I sound mean and

That it is a very kind gesture. But I'm scared of gyms. I don't like to exercise and when I do it it's because I feel very bad about myself. I'm so unfit. I don't think

I can run for more than a minute without dying, I'm so embarased I did tell her this, but she didn't listen. I don't like mirrors. I keep reminding myself that the lighter you are the easier it is to run and if I lose some more it won't hurt so bad. Doctors are always saying that. Weighing more hurts your knees and mine

Hurt sometimes. I'm also gross because I care if she gets really skinny and look huge and grotesque in comparison so I'd have to get smart. How are you supposed to gym? How do people go to the gym and be

Healthy? Should I power read about running properly? I'm going Wednesday. If I was smaller this would not be a

Problem, again so ashamed.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still a problem regardless of what size you are. It's a new, weird, strange, foreign environment. And you know what? I like being fit, I have a free membership as part of my rent (I live on top of one) and they're weird.

Can you go before you meet with your friend? They have free introductions and orientation sessions (one-on-one) so that you can have a tour and learn where things are and how to use them.

Lots of people gym and never run. It can be kinda boring and weird. I like the rowing machine, but that's really the only one I like. If your friend wants to run, you can walk on one beside because hey! Walking is better than sitting on the couch and it's lower impact, too.

Some people like classes. You could suggest to your friend that you try one together. This is how I discovered that I like tai chi - by going with my sister to a class (she dropped it).

You could, of course, be honest with your friend, too. It comes down to whatever you find scarier.

Thank you Rosie, you are always so calming. I'm doing the introduction thing on Wednesday before I meet her, id go earlier but I don't have any time to. I think I might be even more petrified of classes. More fit people? Like I'll look really weak and dumb, I passed out a couple of times exercising but only for a minute. I haven't looked at the classes yet, but I will, I used to dance so I could probably struggle through some form

Of aerobics. I don't really think

It's a good time to say anything about this to her, yet if at any time.

I have never seen a class full of fit people, and I've seen about five years of various classes in various gyms. 

Do you know who attends gyms? Especially in January? Regular people.[/quote

That is a very good point. I'll let you know on Wednesday if it went okay. It's not something I can back out on.

Laboo, I am in a similar situation. In a rare spark of optimism, I joined the YMCA. I have not gone once. I am not thin, I am not in shape and I am extremely self-conscious about both of these things. People tell me that no one really looks at you at the gym, but I have gone before and felt like people's eyes were boring a hole in my stomach. Ugh. Wow, I'm not being very helpful here. One thing that is good about your situation is that you will at least be with a friend. Other than that, all I can say is to try to be kind to yourself.

Or I'm just paranoid about it,

I get that way too; you aren't alone.  I hope it all goes well when you go there.  I can relate to going there and not being able to do anything by walking and lifting weights, so I get intimidated by all the people there who can do so much.  But when I went I stuck with it until my membership ended.  And I never went back.

If I could join a gym  now though, I would do it ONLY so I could lift weights.  I don't feel comfortable being around people who might judge (or actually do).

I go to the gym regularly but it wasn't always the case. Stepping into the gym for the first few times was tough. I felt flabby and weak and like everyone was looking at me. But you know what? People aren't. People are too busy worrying about how *they* look to pay much attention. And I see new people come in all the time. I have never once thought anything bad of them. Instead I usually think how great it is that they're there, doing something for themselves.

I do zero cardio in the gym. I hate cardio equipment. I choose to lift weights and am much more comfortable doing so. It too was a bit intimidating at first but it turned out I loved it so much it didn't stay that way for long.

Going yourself first is a good idea and if you tell your friend the truth I know she won't think badly of you. She'll probably appreciate the fact that you guys are doing this new thing together.

Thank you Melissa, I'm sorry you feel the same way. It's one of those 24/7 gyms, and today she texted me and asked if i was okay going later at night (I am), hoping that less people will be around. 

That is a great idea! (to go at night).  I also think less people will be around.

Alright, finally went to the gym. It was semi busy, meaning it was about 5pm on a Saturday. So many mirrors. The machines are lighted I'm a way that all you can see when you are running/ pedalling / rowing is yourself. I was so transfixed with how bad I look. I got about five minutes into lightly jogging and felt like I was going to puke and I kept seeing black flashes. How do people get fit? I was fit once, I danced at a high level, but not now If I was by myself I would have stopped right there. But I would be too embarrassed so I didn't. I think she was disappointed, because she was asking me at what resistance and speed she should go at for maximum efficiency, I just said I didn't know. Asides from that she was lovely, kept side eye-balling me because I likely looked like I would die. Any ideas on how not to look at myself at the gym? Oh the weights. I'm so bad, on so,e of the machines I could very clumsily lift /push / pull the lowest weigjht. I'm going again tomorrow morning.

I would just start a little bit at a time.  Like 10 minutes or something, then every day add 1 minute to that, until you gradually work up to the amount that you want to do.  Can you start by walking instead of running?  You might be able to go farther doing that.  I can't run or I'll come close to passing out if I don't stop (also I have a bad hip, but even if I didnt' I couldn't run, even if I was being chased), but I walk a lot of places.  I started out slow, then upped my pace until I was happy with it.

Regular people are the type of people I see at gyms. Or high school/college boys impressing their girlfriends. :) (I see that a lot here, college area)

I don't like to run. I use the elliptical. I love those things. 

I also love stationary bikes.

I HATE mirrors. Mine doesn't have many. They have a lot of TV's, and the bikes have scenery, so it looks like you're going up a mountain or something.

Good on you for going!!

Tell her "I don't know! I don't work out here much, but thanks for the membership".in regards to adjusting machines. I go to the gym a lot and stuff get confused.

I have fun at the gym. I like the machines. It's just people trying to get into shape and 99% of them don't care about you. 1% of them comment on my tattoos. :P

I've had the opposite experience with going to a gym.  The one I went to, almost everyone seemed to do it as some sort of fashion statement ... like, going to a gym was a privilege and dressing to Look good rather than to focus on working out mattered. 

I mean, everyone worked out, but there were groups of people who clearly made looks at others who weren't their "kind" (or whatever; I cant think of the word atm). 

When I went I was very self-conscious of what I did.  I was only there until my membership ran out, but when I was there I picked up on a lot of stereotyping.

I stick my earphones in my ears and just don't pay any attention to the mirror. Also what melissa said about starting slowly is good. Just aim for 10 minutes and either do some slow cycling or walking on the treadmill, no resistance. Over time you'll find the 10 minutes gets easier. After a week or two add a bit of time until you're getting about 30 minutes or so and then start upping the resistance. I promise, it really does get easier.